Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly Qualified accountant - Salary

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Trophywife wrote: »
    If you read all the thread and knew the full story you might have a different opinion of me. I am being treated unfairly. I am being paid less that my co-worker. I brought in 9k of fees last year and she brought in nothing yet she is being paid more. I passed all my exams first time while the firm had to pay for her to repeat. I have no problem looking for another job and thats what I am doing. Just because the firm is in diffs doesnt mean that I should be singled out and be treated unfairly though!

So far you've highlighted the following differences between you and your colleague.

You've brought in a single client (from my understanding of what you said above), while great, a once off event is unlikely to sway preference one way or the other. Also, how did you win this client, was it a family member or did you network and go out of your way to win the client? It's hard to make a judgement based on what you've said.

You've passed your exams slightly quicker than your colleague... It's possibly hard for a student to comprehend this, but this has little practical benefit to your firm especially in comparison to other attributes you've not mentioned.

How quick can you finish accounts, how little review points does a partner have to go through with you to finish the accounts compared to your colleague. How much supervision do you need? How much initiative have you got compared to your colleague? How well do you get on with the clients? How much of a team player are you? Do you put in more or less overtime than your colleague?

Even ignoring the above, which I believe to be significantly more relevant from the firm's perspective, your colleague was hired earlier than you. Was she hired in a slightly more economically vibrant time and started off on a higher starting salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

Oh...I can add people to my ignore list.....didnt see that before....hmm....interesting!!

Trophywife: I am IATI and CIMA qualified and can feel your pain. All the hard work for the wage you are on. But from my experience, lots of firms will not give you a big payrise just because you qualify.

The way I see it, you might have to move on somewhere else and start on a higher salary. Maybe try working in a financial institution or try industry. I know the average wage for a qualified accountant right now in Dublin is circa €35k-€40k.

There is also a lot of money in Fund accounting, which would be in and around €30k-€40k to start. And thats without needing Exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Trophywife

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I think you are taking what smcgiff very personally and going a bit OTT, i think he is just trying to offer a varied opinion looking at it from the otherside.

I do think he took you up wrong on the holidays - thinking you meant 5-6 weeks maybe.

BTW, i agree with a bit of both sides of the arguement.

Yeah maybe I am taking it too personally. Its a touchy subject though and I am angry about it. So kinda understandable. But I'll try and keep my anger under control, thanks kenny :)

:eek: I disagree, I think employers most definately should respect they're employees!!

Call me old fashioned!! lol

Spoken like a true employee.

Trophywife: I am IATI and CIMA qualified and can feel your pain. All the hard work for the wage you are on. But from my experience, lots of firms will not give you a big payrise just because you qualify.

The way I see it, you might have to move on somewhere else and start on a higher salary. Maybe try working in a financial institution or try industry. I know the average wage for a qualified accountant right now in Dublin is circa €35k-€40k.

There is also a lot of money in Fund accounting, which would be in and around €30k-€40k to start. And thats without needing Exams.

Yeah, I had an idea that i wouldnt be put on big bucks but i expected something, even if it was something small. Anyhow, cant do much about it only give out! lol ;)

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »

Well as an employee i think its important to have respect for your employer and vice versa! Works both ways. Its better for both parties involved to respect one another. You don't think so??

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Trying to be Devil's advocate. No point everyone agreeing as it's less likely to lead to progress.

For example someone above mentioned their firm were bringing in loads of new clients and therefore everything should be gravy.

I personally know of a practice that has brought in clients at below cost to support their existing staff.

Practices may be gaining new clients, but what about the losses? Under pressure clients are moving around and one of the main stipulations is the fee cost.

It amazes me how unrealistic even qualified accountants are about the real world economics. The practice the OP works for is obviously small, with two partners who hired two trainees as that's all they could afford. If they wanted/required qualified accountants they would have hired them in the first place.

Regardless of the exams passed by the trainees it looks likely the firm cannot pay beyond trainee rates. They've made it clear it's in the OP's interest to move on. The OP should be grateful for the experience and move on.

This is what most of us did. I started off as a trainee accountant on less than the dole payments of the time. This is where we are mostly likely heading back to again.

Basically, nobody owes anybody else a living. There's a job and pay on offer and if it's not wanted then they can move on, which is what the OP is trying to do. However, it is unlikely the firm the OP is working for are heartless ogres trying to screw them over. It' not about respect, but economics.

But you never said any of that in the post I had the issue with??? That post stank of a post designed to stir it up. If you had posted the above initially instead of going on about holidays it would have added to the thread rather than seeming like an unecessary snipe

Well as an employee i think its important to have respect for your employer and vice versa! Works both ways. Its better for both parties involved to respect one another. You don't think so??

You've picked me up wrong, quite deliberately I'm sure, I'm bringing this back to cold hard facts. To paraphrase Dickens...

Firm's Income > Firm's Outgoings = Happiness
    Firm's Outgoings > Firm's Income = Misery

kopfan77 wrote: »
    But you never said any of that in the post I had the issue with??? That post stank of a post designed to stir it up. If you had posted the above initially instead of going on about holidays it would have added to the thread rather than seeming like an unecessary snipe

Totally agree!

So now you dont think that an employee deserves to be treated with respect by the employer!
    Care to elaborate on what a "true employee"...sorry i forgot the italics....means?

• Advertisement

You've picked me up wrong, quite deliberately I'm sure, I'm bringing this back to cold hard facts. To paraphrase Dickens...

Ok, I am an accountant and I totally get that. They can't afford me anymore...their loss...I'll be gone soon... = Happiness for me :D

I was trying to be succinct - everything I've posted after my first post was around the premise of the first.

But guess what....we dont live in dickensian times anymore....its like comparing apples and oranges

So now you dont think that an employee deserves to be treated with respect by the employer!
    Care to elaborate on what a "true employee"...sorry i forgot the italics....means?

He's having another go....he has something against employees, perhaps he's an employer....and he's not just a mere accountant either!! He's the best thing since sliced bread....according to himself anyway!

I was trying to be succinct - everything I've posted after my first post was around the premise of the first.

I just feel that you should have put as much thought into your first post as you seem to have in the subsequent ones.....anyway.....i'll let the OP get back on topic

But guess what....we dont live in dickensian times anymore....its like comparing apples and oranges

Okay, I get it - I'm being trolled. And I'm not playing anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement