Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election Poll - Clare

• 22-02-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭

4 days to go now 'til polling day. Who will you be voting for here in Clare?

Decided to open this thread as it's poll was messy and had been taken down.

I'll nail my colours to the mast and declare for McNamara. He's young, relatively untainted by the political system (only his 2nd time running in an election), seems to have some kind of social conscience, and is clear over his stance on the boundary extension with Limerick.

I'm also voting for him as Fine Gael will need to be tempered in the next government by more than just a ragtag bunch of independents.

Labour intend to bring back the min. wage (a strawman if ever there was one) to it's original level, and bring about a referendum on same-sex marriage. They are also pro-choice on the topic of abortion (afaik, open to correction).

Who will you vote for? 40 votes

Fine Gael
    0% 0 votes
    Labour
    50% 20 votes
    Fianna Fáil
    42% 17 votes
    Greens
    5% 2 votes
    Independents/Others
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

Havent decided yet, but im def leaning towards McNamara for my number one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

Eventhough I have no problem letting this poll go to see the preference people have for the different parties in Clare it doesn't serve any purpose, Ireland has a proportional system which means that actual 1st votes don't necessary mean much, hence I am going to ask you to vote in the boards election (http://www.boards.ie/vote/) which gives a far better representation of the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not 1 candidate has called to my door and i live in Ennis FFS in a major housing estate. Dont think any1 deserves a vote if they dont have the balls to come to the doorstep. All i know is that i wont be votinf FF especially Dooley after he voted to reduce services in Ennis General Hospital and also voting against Shannon airport. A politician is supposed to help his constituents and its area and Dooley has definitly not done this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Not 1 candidate has called to my door and i live in Ennis FFS in a major housing estate. Dont think any1 deserves a vote if they dont have the balls to come to the doorstep. All i know is that i wont be votinf FF especially Dooley after he voted to reduce services in Ennis General Hospital and also voting against Shannon airport. A politician is supposed to help his constituents and its area and Dooley has definitly not done this.

In fairness to Timmy, maybe he tried to vote for Shannon. His problems using the red and green buttons for voting in the Dail are well documented.

A pair of his lackies were at the door last week. Unfortunately he didn't show himself, so they had to take my torrent of abuse back to him. I think my summary to them was that he is the worst TD to ever come from Clare. The only honest thing he did was say on the radio one day that he is a 'party representative' - not a public representative.
    The nerve of him, and the local monsters of the time, to march with the workers in Shannon, to try and retain the slots, and then turn their back on them.
    I cringe when I hear talk that he could be returned.

Vote for anyone but him. Use the PR system. Fill the sheet but make sure he's blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

CiaranMT wrote: »

I'll nail my colours to the mast and declare for McNamara. He's young, relatively untainted by the political system (only his 2nd time running in an election), seems to have some kind of social conscience, and is clear over his stance on the boundary extension with Limerick.

I'm also voting for him as Fine Gael will need to be tempered in the next government by more than just a ragtag bunch of independents.

Labour intend to bring back the min. wage (a strawman if ever there was one) to it's original level, and bring about a referendum on same-sex marriage. They are also pro-choice on the topic of abortion (afaik, open to correction).
    +1. labour have a mountain of work ahead of them if they are to try and contain some of FG slash and burn policies. FG will impliment massive cuts on our social welfare and health system under the guise that they did not cause the problem.
    We simply cannot afford a FG go it alone govt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

its fair bad here in clare as ye all know esp,with snn and the hospital jesus i wouldn't like to be way back west if u needed surgery or something. i'd say there will be no ff returning in clare.thank god!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

CiaranMT wrote: »
    They are also pro-choice on the topic of abortion (afaik, open to correction).

They leave it up to each individual to decide. If there was a vote it would be a free vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Ive eventually made a final desision. Labour and Fine Gael. 1 and 2 and thats it. I have to say the Fine Gael vote is for the man not the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

chucken1 wrote: »
    Ive eventually made a final desision. Labour and Fine Gael. 1 and 2 and thats it. I have to say the Fine Gael vote is for the man not the party.
    Same here.Man, not the party with FG. Absolutely no FF though, especially no Timster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I gave Michael McNamara my No. 1. I'd love to see him represent Clare in the next Dáil but I think he won't make it this time around. I reckon that he will be fighting for the last seat but he will probably lose out to someone like James Breen.

• Advertisement

5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    In fairness to Timmy, maybe he tried to vote for Shannon. His problems using the red and green buttons for voting in the Dail are well documented.

A pair of his lackies were at the door last week. Unfortunately he didn't show himself, so they had to take my torrent of abuse back to him. I think my summary to them was that he is the worst TD to ever come from Clare. The only honest thing he did was say on the radio one day that he is a 'party representative' - not a public representative.
    The nerve of him, and the local monsters of the time, to march with the workers in Shannon, to try and retain the slots, and then turn their back on them.
    I cringe when I hear talk that he could be returned.
    My brother worked for a large multinational in the Shannon Industrial Estate back in 2007, he told me that Timmy haunted the place then, he used to door stop workers on their way in and out for their office/factories. However, my brother was saying that he was talking to a few friends of his who still work in the Ind Est and apparently there was no sign of Timmy this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

I voted Labour no. 1 and Markham no. 2 only candidates that I spoke to. I waited in vain for the greens and FF to call coz I had a lot to vent!

Got leaflets from FG but didn't see the men themselves and I had questions to put them particularly about putting financial control in the hands of the County Council (hello water rates and property tax) the only institution more corrupt than Dail Eireann!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

i wont be able to sleep tonight waiting for the count come on joe

lab man wrote: »
    i wont be able to sleep tonight waiting for the count come on joe
    I'd say you can sleep easy, FG definitely have won 2 if not 3 seats

Obviously the "Lab" in lab man is not an abbreviation for LABOUR

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'd say you can sleep easy, FG definitely have won 2 if not 3 seats

If FG happen to take 3 seats i may never sleep easy again for the next
    five years. Having a majority right wing party in power scares me .
    They will slash funding for all sorts of community and social projects and create a divide amongst the citizens. No matter who they hurt all they have to say is their fixing what the previous govt caused and they have no choice but to cut programmes. They won't have to answer to anyone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

MrsD007 wrote: »
    My brother worked for a large multinational in the Shannon Industrial Estate back in 2007, he told me that Timmy haunted the place then, he used to door stop workers on their way in and out for their office/factories. However, my brother was saying that he was talking to a few friends of his who still work in the Ind Est and apparently there was no sign of Timmy this time.
    This is true.I witnessed him last time. No sign this year.You'd almost think he's embarrassed.He should be anyway.

Advertisement