Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabled Passengers Scheme

• 22-02-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hey there, just wondering if anyone has experience using this scheme to purchase a USED CAR. Im currenly looking at this: http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Santa-Fe/2.2-2WD/201106201208361/advert?channel=CARS

I have used the vrt calculator and added the given vrt to vat @ 21.5%
    Altogether Im expecting to get VRT(32%) and VAT(21.5%) Total of 53.5% rebate based on the Revenue's OMSP (basically their valuation)

I called the office in Monaghan and was told by a uselessly unhelpful cow that they do not release figures blah blah, i wasnt expecting her to but i was wondering was this how they reached their final figures.

Im more confused now than ever, I cant buy the car until i know how much it will cost.

Anyone with personal experience of this, thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ok,
    I am not certain about disabled passenger scheme,

BUT,

AFAIK.
    you get UP TO 15.5k off the price of a new vehicle.

but you wont get that much off the santa fe you showed ,

I also think you deduct the VRT

Then whatever price is left you must spend at least 10% of the remaining value on modifications.

Then take your VAT @ 21% off the balance.

Complicated I know.
    I would say ask the dealer to check it out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The way i calculate it is

- 5295 VRT

= 11655
    - VAT @21% =2022.77

9632.23 (Net Cost)

You will also have to spend 10% of net cost (9623) on adaptions to the car.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

AFAIK, the passenger must have a primary medical cert to qualify for this scheme. Ring the disabled drivers assoc, might be more helpful.

The way i calculate it is

- 5295 VRT

= 11655
    - VAT @21% =2022.77

9632.23 (Net Cost)

You will also have to spend 10% of net cost (9623) on adaptions to the car.

Correct me if I am wrong but

€16950

-32% vrt = €12840

-21% vat = €10612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A lot of people don't know that, when talking of OMSP, it effectively *includes* the VRT at whatever rate applies.

So, 32% of the €16,950 OMSP is the VRT amount. This is €5,424. So, the ex-VRT amount (which includes VAT) is €11,526. [ This equates to 68% of OMSP ].

If Revenue wanted to be 'honest', they would say that the VRT rate here is 47% (of €11,526).

So, to get the ex-VAT price, we now do the expected calculation (i.e. divide by €11,526 by 1.21) giving €9,526 (rounded to nearest €1).

I don't know anything about required cost of modifications, so I'll leave it at that.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    A lot of people don't know that, when talking of OMSP, it effectively *includes* the VRT at whatever rate applies.

So, 32% of the €16,950 OMSP is the VRT amount. This is €5,424. So, the ex-VRT amount (which includes VAT) is €11,526. [ This equates to 68% of OMSP ].

If Revenue wanted to be 'honest', they would say that the VRT rate here is 47% (of €11,526).

So, to get the ex-VAT price, we now do the expected calculation (i.e. divide by €11,526 by 1.21) giving €9,526 (rounded to nearest €1).

I don't know anything about required cost of modifications, so I'll leave it at that.

How did you go about calculating the vrt ?
    Just wondering if I am doing it wrong all along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

vectra wrote: »
    How did you go about calculating the vrt ?
    Just wondering if I am doing it wrong all along

Go to ros.ie and and use the VRT Calculator.

Go to ros.ie and and use the VRT Calculator.

So how did you both get differing results??

isn't that only a rough guide ?
    also
    isn't that only calculating the amount payable on importing a vehicle??

My formula could be wrong but this is how i always worked it out.

16950 = 100%

/ 132 * 100 = price less 32% vrt

/121 * 100 = price minus vat
    :confused:

Read my post again. The VRT amount is effectively a straight percentage (based on the VRT rate) of the OMSP.

So, in this case the ex-VRT price is 68% of €16,950.

It is not, as you thought (in this example) €16,950/1.32.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Read my post again. The VRT amount is effectively a straight percentage (based on the VRT rate) of the OMSP.

So, in this case the ex-VRT price is 68% of €16,950.

It is not, as you thought (in this example) €16,950/1.32.

But isnt that just taking 32% from the 1695??

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    But isnt that just taking 32% from the 16950??
    Yes, but that's not what you were doing...

By dividing by 1.32, as you were doing, you are effectively taking 24% away....

Seriously, read my posts again.

In summary, OMSP contains VRT. VRT is not added to OMSP.

To calculate the VRT element in an OMSP, simply calculate the straight (VRT rate percentage) of the OMSP.

Basically, you have been doing it wrongly. You just have to get your head around this.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement