Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky multiroom and phone line requirement.

• 22-02-2011 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Mam recently got Sky multiroom in. Sales guy in local shopping centre told her no phoneline was required. Sky installer told her otherwise and that it was a new rule brought in.

Who is bull$hitting [as they obviously can't both be right] her and what the proper stance?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

For Multiroom you NEED a phone line connected to both boxes.

(they can charge you for 2 separate connections otherwise.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

John mac wrote: »
    For Multiroom you NEED a phone line connected to both boxes.

(they can charge you for 2 separate connections otherwise.)

We have a multi room connection but the installer did not want to go into the attic to connect the phone line so he just told us to connect it ourselves.

Two years later and we still have not connected it and there has been no problems.

My taxi driver did say that he got a higher bill from sky for not connecting a phone line so maybe its on a customer by customer basis (driver could be lying though). We are a sky customer for 15 years so maybe that means something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I too have multi room and i had a problem with the phone line as well,i got 3 letters from sky about it,A call back problem,each sky box needs to perform a call back once a month to sky to tell them that the 2 sky boxes are in the same house,mine was connected but the phone connection in 1 of the boxes was faulty,so i had to get another box or else they were going to charge me 161 euro a month.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

RangeR wrote: »
    Hi all,

Mam recently got Sky multiroom in. Sales guy in local shopping centre told her no phoneline was required. Sky installer told her otherwise and that it was a new rule brought in.

Who is bull$hitting [as they obviously can't both be right] her and what the proper stance?

Thanks in advance.

The Sales guy is Bull****ting. He don't work for sky he works for a contract company and is working on commission. He should do more research into the product he is selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

I am literally just back from talkin to sky rep in shoppin centre. She told me that phone line is only needed to set it up. Also told me that after i set up multiroom i can ring the followin month and ask for 2 more cards to be sent out and they would just add them to bill free as part of whole house deal. Is any of that true? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

danois wrote: »
    I am literally just back from talkin to sky rep in shoppin centre. She told me that phone line is only needed to set it up. Also told me that after i set up multiroom i can ring the followin month and ask for 2 more cards to be sent out and they would just add them to bill free as part of whole house deal. Is any of that true? Thanks

Sounds like total bullsh*t to be honest.

Glad i didnt giv her bank details thanks

I sent the skyrep a text saying i wasnt going ahead with the order because i asked online and was told box has to be connected to phoneline at all times. This is the reply i got.........sky will tell u that hun but i can guarantee you it will be ok. Most of our multirooms are set up without phonelines. Like i told u they just use the phoneline to activate it ( we have been know wit permission to connect to neighburs phone for initial callback wen no phone in customers house ;) ) let me know if you want to continue with order

Really should be rules that enforce reps to be honest

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

danois wrote: »
    I sent the skyrep a text saying i wasnt going ahead with the order because i asked online and was told box has to be connected to phoneline at all times. This is the reply i got.........sky will tell u that hun but i can guarantee you it will be ok. Most of our multirooms are set up without phonelines. Like i told u they just use the phoneline to activate it ( we have been know wit permission to connect to neighburs phone for initial callback wen no phone in customers house ;) ) let me know if you want to continue with order

Really should be rules that enforce reps to be honest

I think its time Dominic Littlewood came to live in Ireland.

This is total Bull**** this rep is misinforming people about the T&C with sky. This rep should be reported and there ASA taken from them. The whole idea of an Installer connecting to a neighbours landline is totally wrong.
    Name and shame this Cowboy Crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

they are spouting the same crap in my local shop too. they said the same things to my friend then asked for his bank details.

on the subject of having to have the phonelines connected. i have had letters before - when i have had problems with my phoneline - saying that i needed to connect the boxes r b charged two subscriptions. in that instance i rang sky and explained there was a problem with the line and i was waiting on an eircom engineer (back when i was with eircom!) and then sky had no problems.

i have had outgoing calls stopped on my phone for over a yr now tho and have never once had a letter from sky telling me to connect?!? i am a customer 10 yrs.

(mind you i think the 10 yrs thing is nothing to do with it cos they cut me off today and when i rang to ask why told me my bill hadn't been paid. 1st they tried to take the dd on the 10th - my bill is due 15th! - but second they haven't notified me in anyway that there was a problem with payment. just cut me off. guy says oh you will get a letter warning that you will be cut off if you don't sort it!!! AFTER being cut off!!!! bollox!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement