Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer files

• 22-02-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I want to transfer 10gb data from desktop to laptop. I havent got an external hd and wireless is not an option.

how can i do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

you could burn it onto 3 dvds i guess? do it over a wired network connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm.

Two and a half DVD disks?

If you have both machines networked (home or work) you could just share the folder out on the desktop and open it up on the laptop to copy across.

Oh wait...that wasn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Any usb flash drive even?
    Do a few gigs at a time

Or you could use dropbox

T0mmyM wrote: »
    Any usb flash drive even?
    Do a few gigs at a time

Or you could use dropbox

I thought that myself but it would depend on the connection and you would be forever if it was 2GB at a time. Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

If you've no External Hard Drive and cant do it wirelessly then a Usb Stick seems to be the best option for you mate

• Advertisement

If you've no External Hard Drive and cant do it worelessly then a Usb Stick seems to be the best option for you mate

That's D4 for wireless. Sorry. Had to. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

what? you cant connect both machines to the same router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

chin_grin wrote: »
    That's D4 for wireless. Sorry. Had to. :p

Credit where it's due I guess lol

Even though my location says Tallaght :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

HTTP File Server

I've used the above countless times to transfer all sorts of data from one machine to another across my wired network - even going as far as copying 20 GB of MP3's in one go a while back without a hitch.

It's a standalone executable so no installing, just double-click to run the application.

From the "Menu" select "Add Folder From Disk",

Browse to select the folder containing the data to transfer,

Select "Real Folder" from the pop-up dialog

Take note of the source machine's IP address in the URL bar at the top of the application.

On the target machine fire up a web browser and type in the source machine's IP address, you will be presented with a web page displaying the top-level folder containing the data to transfer.

You can drill down from this top level folder to copy individual files or if you want everything copied across click "Folder Archive" on the right of the screen - this will initiate a "download" of an archive in *.tar format which can be extracted later using something like 7Zip.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Take the Laptops HDD out and conect to the PC. Just drop the files onto the HDD and away you go :) That's if you have the right connections on your PC. Sata for Sata, IDE for mmmmmm :P You get the drift :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Wired network with router is your best option, using windows file sharing as someone mentioned above. If they're not both windows machines then you could use something like The Things's HTTP server solution. If you said 'no wireless' because you don't have a router at all, you could wire the two machines together directly with an ethernet cable and make an ad-hoc network (google for directions). There might be a catch with that last one though, it's possible that you might need a different type of ethernet cable to the normal one, called a crossover cable, which you probably won't have handy. Try it with the normal one first, there's a good chance it'll work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Razzuh wrote: »
    together directly with an ethernet cable

cross over cable.

A good investment is a usb bridge cable for around a tenner.
    You can use it again and on any two machines as it works regardless
    of platform. Theres no configuration and it's very fast.

knird evol wrote: »
    cross over cable.

A good investment is a usb bridge cable for around a tenner.
    You can use it again and on any two machines as it works regardless
    of platform. Theres no configuration and it's very fast.

You stopped reading too soon! I got to the cross over bit. You don't actually have to have one, straight through will work on almost anything from the last few years thanks to Auto-MDIX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You stopped reading too soon! I got to the cross over bit. You don't actually have to have one, straight through will work on almost anything from the last few years thanks to Auto-MDIX.

Thanks for this. I tried that last night with a straight patch lead and it worked a charm. Just had to set up the PC / laptop with unique IPs and allow sharing on the relevant folders. :)

mordeith wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I tried that last night with a straight patch lead and it worked a charm. Just had to set up the PC / laptop with unique IPs and allow sharing on the relevant folders. :)

Ha, I thought for a second you were the OP but you're not. Good to know someone got some use out of it anyway. It's good to know if you need to move a ton of data and have machines with gigabit ports but only a cheap 10/100 router. All gigabit cards have auto-MDIX as far as I know. It's common in the newer 10/100s but not guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Ha, I thought for a second you were the OP but you're not. Good to know someone got some use out of it anyway. It's good to know if you need to move a ton of data and have machines with gigabit ports but only a cheap 10/100 router. All gigabit cards have auto-MDIX as far as I know. It's common in the newer 10/100s but not guaranteed.

Yeah thanks again. I wasn't sure if the card on the PC woulld support the auto MDIX as it's probably about 5 years old, but no bothers. Thanks again as I've saved myslef the hassle of transferring everything on an 8GB USB stick! (My portable HDs are all full

Advertisement