Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How thick should Crown ceiling paint be??

• 22-02-2011 6:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a tin of Crown white ceiling paint yesterday and opened it today.

Noticed that its very thick and gloopy,as was the last tin of crown ceiling paint that I bought.

How thick is this stuff actually meant to be??

Its alot thicker than any of the crown wall paints that I have used.

Should I mix it up with a bit of water to thin it out,or is ceiling paint supposed to be thick and gloopy?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I always found the specific ceiling paint was always a bit thicker, so I don't bother with it and just use Dulux Supermatt.

Anyhow, if you're not sure, get a paddle for you're super duper ROK cordless drill and give it a mix up for a few minutes. You'd be surprised at the difference it makes. I always whip up a new bucket before I use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I always found the specific ceiling paint was always a bit thicker, so I don't bother with it and just use Dulux Supermatt.

Anyhow, if you're not sure, get a paddle for you're super duper ROK cordless drill and give it a mix up for a few minutes. You'd be surprised at the difference it makes. I always whip up a new bucket before I use it.

Have a manual paint mixer here,and that didnt make much difference,so I might just stick a food blender whisk into the end of the cordless and give it a blast,and see what happens.:)

Better not tell me gfirlfriend that I used the food blender whisk to whish and stir up paint though.;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

If it's thick like that its normally a good sign. Means it has more body to it and will be easier to cover. Always ask in the shop to give it a quick shake in the machine, never know how long it's been there.Not mad about Crown myself but its OK. If your just doing ceilings you will be fine.

If it's thick like that its normally a good sign. Means it has more body to it and will be easier to cover. Always ask in the shop to give it a quick shake in the machine, never know how long it's been there.Not mad about Crown myself but its OK. If your just doing ceilings you will be fine.

So in this case,thick is good.Thanks.:)

Crown white ceiling paint on the ceilings.

Crown toasted almond and antique cream on some of the walls.

Yeah thats a classic colour combo. Did you see them together in a colour card. I've done these together and they always come up pretty well. I'm not knocking Crown, its OK, just not my no1.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats a classic colour combo. Did you see them together in a colour card. I've done these together and they always come up pretty well. I'm not knocking Crown, its OK, just not my no1.

The builder painted the house in a "standard" magnolia colour,all throughout the house,even though we asked him not to do it that colour.

My girlfriend picked the almond and cream colours out,I just went along with it,as I was rather bored at this stage going from 1 shop to the next,to the next and so on.:(

They are in my living room now,turned out very well I must say with regards the room and the layout,oak flooring and oak door colours.

Still have to do the bedrooms upstairs in the different colours,daughters bedroom is done in pinks and purples now,so thats 1 of the bedroooms out of the way at least.:)

Using Dulux for the bedrooms now.

What would be your Number 1 then?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

jaysus magnolia, i wwent out of my way to insist on white.
    what poseeses them to go with magnolia?:rolleyes:

good that you're getting there paddy;)

say feck all about using any kitchen tools......they don't understand the 15 second rule either:p

jaysus magnolia, i wwent out of my way to insist on white.
    what poseeses them to go with magnolia?:rolleyes:

good that you're getting there paddy;)

say feck all about using any kitchen tools......they don't understand the 15 second rule either:p

Magnolia seems to be a builders "favourite" colour to paint a house in.:(

So anyway we are putting that right now room by room.:)

Cordless drill and the whisk will do the job nicely.

It will be in and out of the dishwasher so quick,that she wont have even noticed that it went missing.lol

Anyway,shes too busy setting up the aquariam at the moment,500 litres of water in me sitting room,right now.Yikes.:eek::pac:

Expensive, but worth every penny and more. Plus postage. Paint anorak heaven.

http://www.finepaintsofeurope.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement