Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax/Vrt claim on Seconhand Van?

Options
  • 22-02-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi,I am in the market for a New second hand Van.It is a Mercedes Vito converted Van.It is coming from the UK.My Mother is Disabled and I Drive Her everywhere as I live around the corner and My Father does not drive anymore.
    Q;Can I become her designated driver and If so Can I claim back the vrt or anything else.Is there a year limit on the age of the vehicle etc etc?
    All info would be help.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Thanks for that.It explains it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

depends on what size the engine is - has to be less than 2 litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Hi,I am in the market for a New second hand Van.It is a Mercedes Vito converted Van.It is coming from the UK.My Mother is Disabled and I Drive Her everywhere as I live around the corner and My Father does not drive anymore.
    Q;Can I become her designated driver and If so Can I claim back the vrt or anything else.Is there a year limit on the age of the vehicle etc etc?
    All info would be help.

Thanks in advance.

Dont want to be a bolox here, and im going totally off topic as well but have you purchased this yet?
    These tend to be very unreliable and can rust pretty bad too.
    What year is the one you are looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Dont want to be a bolox here, and im going totally off topic as well but have you purchased this yet?

Its worth keeping in mind that you can typically replace the car after two years, not sure what its like nowadays but the cost of getting a new car was minimal.
    At least that was my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, my understanding of the system is somewhat different. If your mum has a primary medical certificate then she can apply for VRT exemption (form DD1 I think). If this is granted then you can approach Customs and Excise and explain that would like to import a vehicle and are VRT exempt. If it suits the needs of the disabled person in their opinion, then it should be a formality. Whether the vehicle is new or used is not relevant. Some conditions are;
    Vehicle has to be adapted for disabled needs before you take possession of it
    Maximum allowed is €15,000 approx
    Maximum engine size is 2.0l for petrol & 2.5l for Diesel.
    This is only from memory and I am open to correction but I can look it up if clarification is needed. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

No,Not yet.It will be a 2.2 ltr diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hya

Your mother needs to have a Primary Medical Cert in order to claim the tax relief for the disabled Passenger Scheme. If she does not have one she needs to apply to the local health office. The criteria are very strict.

In order for you to qualify you would need to live with your mother. Although I'm sure you could state your case to revenue. Adaptions also have to be made to the car to a certain value depending on the value of the car in order to qualify.

Advertisement