Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance

Options
  • 22-02-2011 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi there, can anyone advise me?myself and my husband live in a cottage about 130 years old we have owned it for a little over 3 years now.the roof is made up of thatch , apotheoses and galvanised sheeting(i know i know) last night some sheets blew off and the rain just ran straight into our living room,there is now water running down our walls and the whole house is a mess.my husband went up on the roof to have a look and it seems where the thatch is, underneath the sheeting, the rafters are rotting.does anyone know if we can claim off our home insurance to get the roof completely replaced?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

When your bought the house, did you get it surveyed, If so i assume that the report did not state the there was rot damage to the rafters so the insurance company will not be able to say that this was already there.

If you didn't get it surveyed... well good luck with that because it will most lightly be rejected as ye did not engage in due diligence when buying the property, but make sure that you try and claim anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If the loss was down to a rotting roof, it is maintenance and excluded from your house insurance. If a storm blew off a perfectly good section of roof near the rotting section, you would be entitled to claim for that portion of the repairs but not the remedial work to the rafters

Advertisement