Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5K and general fitness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

22 Feb 2011

It was wet and rained spontaneously today so I stayed indoors. But I still did something.
    • 5 mins of push ups
    • 5 mins sit ups
    • 20 mins of running on the spot with breaks every 2 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Mr. Spock

Heh good deal. My mother lost around 30lbs with the couch to 5k program, although I'd crank it up seeing as you're like 17.

23 Feb 2011
    • 5 min warm up
    • 60 secs running and 90 secs walking for 30 mins
    • 5 min cool down while walking home

26th Feb 2010

Started week 2 for couch to 5k.

I was flying at the beginning but then half way through I had to push myself and I felt like I was going to collaps, but I pushed myseld and enjoyed a 10 min walk home.

This was the program today:
    Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Will be going again on Monday and sometime during the week when I get a chance.

Mr. Spock wrote: »
    Heh good deal. My mother lost around 30lbs with the couch to 5k program, although I'd crank it up seeing as you're like 17.

• Advertisement

I got home too late today so it is dark now. But I am going to do day 2 of week 2 tomorrow. I still might do some pushups and situps tonight after dinner.

Adam

1 March 2011

Today I did week 2 day 2 of the C25K program. I was doing really well until about 3/4 through when I got a terrible stitch and could just about walk. I only had one more running interval left.

4 March 2011

Week 2 of C25K

Today went well. I actually had enough energy in me to go longer. I did two extra intervals! I dont know where I got the energy from lol

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

Fair played to you! I am interested in your progress because I've just started the same program myself. I'm delighted to hear that you got more energy after a few days of it. I am worried about it getting tougher

Baralis1 wrote: »
    Fair played to you! I am interested in your progress because I've just started the same program myself. I'm delighted to hear that you got more energy after a few days of it. I am worried about it getting tougher

Cool, thanks. You just have to say to yourself I am going to do this. The C25K program is great for beginners as it provides the motivation each week. I am using this podcast ( NHS Couch to 5K ) that provides tips and tells me when to run and walk each week. The music is not that bad either.

Good Luck! Start a log like this one in the fitness logs as well so I can follow your progress as well

• Advertisement

7 March 2011

Week 2 Day 3

My last day for Week 2. The first run was grand, was comfortable and I got less comfortable until half way through where I got a boost from somewhere and was able to get though the rest quite easily. Bring on Week 3!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

I think you're doing great! Especially if you're running on your own - are you?

I'm doing the same program with my husband (w're starting week 5 tonight ... scary lol) i'm sooooo unfit and old compared to you lol (we're both in our 40's and had a baby last year) so i'm sure you'd pass us by waving and laughing at our red faces :D.
    Something i find though is it is SO much easier if you've someone to push you - first of all to push you out the door at night when you don't want to get off the couch and secondly to push you when it gets really hard and you feel you can't run any further.

We run in a local school football grounds, and when I feel i can't do anymore i just tell myself to run as far as the next goal post and then stop - chances are by the time i get there it's time for a walk anyway, or if not at least i don't feel too bad about a 10 second break!

Keep it up, i wish i could get my teenage daughter to peel herself off the computer! ;)

woggie wrote: »
    I think you're doing great! Especially if you're running on your own - are you?

I'm doing the same program with my husband (w're starting week 5 tonight ... scary lol) i'm sooooo unfit and old compared to you lol (we're both in our 40's and had a baby last year) so i'm sure you'd pass us by waving and laughing at our red faces :D.
    Something i find though is it is SO much easier if you've someone to push you - first of all to push you out the door at night when you don't want to get off the couch and secondly to push you when it gets really hard and you feel you can't run any further.

We run in a local school football grounds, and when I feel i can't do anymore i just tell myself to run as far as the next goal post and then stop - chances are by the time i get there it's time for a walk anyway, or if not at least i don't feel too bad about a 10 second break!

Keep it up, i wish i could get my teenage daughter to peel herself off the computer! ;)

Thanks for the advice :) I am sick with the flu at the moment but should be ok tomorrow. I swear by uniflu lol. I am running by myself but my parents are encouraging me (when they eventually took me seriously, when I first went to them with the idea they laughed lol). I might need to do week 2 again because this flu probay set me back a bit. But I will see tomorrow.
    I am looking forward to the results at the end of it, around week 5 I want to start doing pushups and situps etc. And maybe join a gym but that might be too expensive. I will have to see. :)
    I basically got tired of being the slow and weak guy in PE so thats why I am doing it.

Good luck, keep up the excellent work :)

Since I am sick with the Flu at the moment and it seems to be taking forever to go away (Grrrrrrr :mad: ). I decided to start my self on a new diet. Take a look and tell me what you masters think :)

Breakfast
    Tea and Flahavans Quick Oats

Snack (in school)
    Banana and Bottle of Water

Lunch (in school)
    Ham and Cheese Sandwich (x2) and Bottle of Water

Snack (home)
    Apple and Orange Juice

Dinner
    Depends and whatever is going that day. It is usually either Chicken/Mince/Beef with either Mash/Chips/Baked Potatoes/Boiled Potatoes and 2 Vegetables (either Carrots, Green Beans, Butternut, Broccoli).

I also have tea several times during the day lol! I have approx. 4 cups of tea a day!

Any hints will be welcome :)

(edit) My main goal btw is to lose the fat in front of my abs and then once that is done start weights

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Good luck man! I'm another guy who wants to try this Couch to 5K plan and you seem to be doing great. Gives me motivation; now I can't wait to start! :)

Colibri wrote: »
    Good luck man! I'm another guy who wants to try this Couch to 5K plan and you seem to be doing great. Gives me motivation; now I can't wait to start! :)

Thanks :) You should start today! The hardest thing is starting. It actually took me 3 months to eventually start lol. But now that I am on the program I am enjoying the runs, which is was a crazy thought a few weeks ago when j hated any exercise lol. I am sick at the moment and I miss the runs now lol.
    Once you get into it you will notice a boost in your energ levels during the day, you are happier, and it does not take as long to fall asleep at night.

Good luck :)

Is that what you currently eat or what you're aiming to eat on an ideal day? Not a crisp or bar of chocolate in sight? How nobel LOL. To be honest I'd be starving after that lot and tempted to fill up on snacks - if it fills you up then fine but i'd be tempted to add some more. Maybe another bit of fruit to your breakfast, or have protein for breakfast, like a 2 scrambled eggs - protein will fill you up more.

Look i'm no nutritionist but i'd say have a look at the food pyramid to make sure you're getting all the essentials in. If you're eating starchy carbs such as pasta/bread try to always pick wholegrain. Drink plenty of water (aim for at least 2 litres), stay away from fried foods and pay attention to your portion sizes. A single serving of meat should be roughly the size of a deck of cards, a serving of cheese is the size of a match box, a portion of veg should be (at least) 1/3 of a cup.

I don't like the idea of a teenager 'dieting' as there is so much going on in your body right now you need plenty of calories - but from the right sources (crisps and doughnuts are just empty calories, they are loaded with fat but give you no nutrients). Just try to make healthy choices and get in more exercise - if you're feeling too sick to get back into the running do some long walks, it all adds up.

As for loosing weight from the front of your abs, you'll hear this over and over, you cannot spot reduce. Cardio will help you burn fat from all over your body - you can't specify which bit unfortuntely. You need to be doing cardio at least 3 times a week for 20-30 mins at least. No harm in starting your strength training now (i.e. weights/abs etc), do it on your days inbetween your cardio sessions.

You're doing great, keep it up.
    I did the first of my 'longer' runs tonight with 2 * 8 mins. runs. Before I headed out I was sure i'd never manage it but actually it wasn't as difficult as i thought - all those other weeks of smaller runs really do help your body build up the stamina for the longer ones. Tomorrow is a 20min run though...not looking forward to that!!!
    Happy St. Patrick's Day :D

Is that what you currently eat or what you're aiming to eat on an ideal day? Not a crisp or bar of chocolate in sight? How nobel LOL. To be honest I'd be starving after that lot and tempted to fill up on snacks - if it fills you up then fine but i'd be tempted to add some more. Maybe another bit of fruit to your breakfast, or have protein for breakfast, like a 2 scrambled eggs - protein will fill you up more.

Look i'm no nutritionist but i'd say have a look at the food pyramid to make sure you're getting all the essentials in. If you're eating starchy carbs such as pasta/bread try to always pick wholegrain. Drink plenty of water (aim for at least 2 litres), stay away from fried foods and pay attention to your portion sizes. A single serving of meat should be roughly the size of a deck of cards, a serving of cheese is the size of a match box, a portion of veg should be (at least) 1/3 of a cup.

I don't like the idea of a teenager 'dieting' as there is so much going on in your body right now you need plenty of calories - but from the right sources (crisps and doughnuts are just empty calories, they are loaded with fat but give you no nutrients). Just try to make healthy choices and get in more exercise - if you're feeling too sick to get back into the running do some long walks, it all adds up.

As for loosing weight from the front of your abs, you'll hear this over and over, you cannot spot reduce. Cardio will help you burn fat from all over your body - you can't specify which bit unfortuntely. You need to be doing cardio at least 3 times a week for 20-30 mins at least. No harm in starting your strength training now (i.e. weights/abs etc), do it on your days inbetween your cardio sessions.

I did the first of my 'longer' runs tonight with 2 * 8 mins. runs. Before I headed out I was sure i'd never manage it but actually it wasn't as difficult as i thought - all those other weeks of smaller runs really do help your body build up the stamina for the longer ones. Tomorrow is a 20min run though...not looking forward to that!!!

Thanks, I started that plan Tuesday and you are right it does look a bit bare. I might add an extra snack somewhere in that mix. And perhaps bulk up the breakfast as I am feeling hungry just before break. I am feeling better today, my nose is jus a bit blocked so I think I will start again. I might have to do week 2 again.

Thanks, enjoy your St Patrick's day :)

(Silly excuse) I haven't got the runners yet, all my shoes are flat soled and would kill me. Barefoot i0sn't an option either but fúck it, as soon as I get a pair I'm gonna start :)

Keep it up, even though you're sick you're still in the mindset. It'll be great inspiration! :)

Oh and Happy Paddy's day!

(Silly excuse) I haven't got the runners yet, all my shoes are flat soled and would kill me. Barefoot i0sn't an option either but fúck it, as soon as I get a pair I'm gonna start :)

Keep it up, even though you're sick you're still in the mindset. It'll be great inspiration! :)

Oh and Happy Paddy's day!

I would not recommend running with out some form of running shoe. During the first week I ran with an old pair of vans and I lost all feeling in my right foot near the end of the run lol. I got a cheap €20 pair of runners at dunnes and they are perfect. You don't need to spend loads of money for expensive shoes, not at this point anyway.

Happy St Patricks day :)
    Good luck
    Adam

• Advertisement

That's a good point actually. Maybe if this gets addictive I'll splash out for a better pair! Thanks bud.

(edit) My main goal btw is to lose the fat in front of my abs and then once that is done start weights

As Woggie said, you can't spot reduce but keep doing what you're doing. Many people think that you need to exercise, do core work, etc. to get bigger abs but what you really need to do is lower your bodyfat - that simple.

Forgive me if I'm a bit inaccurate but I'm basing these next figures off of something I read not so long ago - the top row of your abs can be seen at sometimes 15% bodyfat but to actually show your full six pack, a bodyfat of 10% or slightly under is needed. Some people claim it's 7% but that's a bit too skinny IMO :)

I think Bovril is an excellent source of protein. I love bovril on toast so I might add a slice of toast with bovril to my breakfast and a bovril sandwich as a snack before a workout perhaps.

Thanks for the help :)

Forgive me if I'm a bit inaccurate but I'm basing these next figures off of something I read not so long ago - the top row of your abs can be seen at sometimes 15% bodyfat but to actually show your full six pack, a bodyfat of 10% or slightly under is needed. Some people claim it's 7% but that's a bit too skinny IMO :)

I need to check my current body fat. But is it possible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. As to build muscle you need more calories and to lose fat you need less. Is it possible to build muscle even when one is at a calorie deficit?

Adam

I need to check my current body fat. But is it possible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. As to build muscle you need more calories and to lose fat you need less. Is it possible to build muscle even when one is at a calorie deficit?

Adam

You'd need to wait for the more experienced posters to reply to that :P

Googling it, I'm getting mixed answers. Some are saying yes, others are saying no. I'm not too sure but I reckon do one first and the other afterwards!

Sorry for the cluelessness :P

You'd need to wait for the more experienced posters to reply to that :P

Googling it, I'm getting mixed answers. Some are saying yes, others are saying no. I'm not too sure but I reckon do one first and the other afterwards!

Sorry for the cluelessness :P

No problem :) I did a quick search in iTunes for a podcast episode and I found this http://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/039-gfg-lose-fat-gain-muscle/id371750376?i=91327189

Seems you can actually.

Adam :)

17 March 2010

Despite me recovering from a cold, I went for a run anyway and I had to start from week 2. I was about to start week 3 before I got this cold so I was annoyed. But what can you do. The run today was good, nothing special really, the same as last week really.

Thanks for to all the great boards posters that I have gotten motivation and advice from. :)

Thanks,
    Adam :)

Hey Adam - fair play to you, looks like you're getting the running bug and can't keep away LOL!
    Re: loosing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, again no expert but the weight loss program i'm on at the moment claims that you can indeed do just that. They concentrate on eating protein at every meal and reducing the amount of starchy carbs that you eat, plus cardio at least 3 times a week for about an hour - when you're starting off though 20 - 30 mins per session is fine. Also strength training on alternate days - so monday run, tuesday weights, weds run, thursday weights, friday run, saturday weights and sunday is a well deserved rest day :D

It's important to rest the muscles you've been working out for at least 24 hours when starting out as otherwise you will over fatigue them and they cannot function as well, not to mention the risk of injury. Remember that running is working your legs and butt so the next day give those muscles a rest and do some upper body workout. You don't need to go gym, argos do cheap set of weights or just use water bottles filled up with water to begin with, or just use your body weight for press ups etc.

You could also look up the following podcasts on itunes (it's free) 'Fitness Behaviour' by Bevan James Eyles - it might give you some good motivation and tips.

Best of luck.

Hey Adam - fair play to you, looks like you're getting the running bug and can't keep away LOL!
    Re: loosing fat and gaining muscle at the same time, again no expert but the weight loss program i'm on at the moment claims that you can indeed do just that. They concentrate on eating protein at every meal and reducing the amount of starchy carbs that you eat, plus cardio at least 3 times a week for about an hour - when you're starting off though 20 - 30 mins per session is fine. Also strength training on alternate days - so monday run, tuesday weights, weds run, thursday weights, friday run, saturday weights and sunday is a well deserved rest day :D

It's important to rest the muscles you've been working out for at least 24 hours when starting out as otherwise you will over fatigue them and they cannot function as well, not to mention the risk of injury. Remember that running is working your legs and butt so the next day give those muscles a rest and do some upper body workout. You don't need to go gym, argos do cheap set of weights or just use water bottles filled up with water to begin with, or just use your body weight for press ups etc.

You could also look up the following podcasts on itunes (it's free) 'Fitness Behaviour' by Bevan James Eyles - it might give you some good motivation and tips.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips. I am going to start with basic pushups and situps, and then when I am good at those, I'll look into going to a gym maybe 2 times a week.

Adam

20 March 2011

Half way through week 2......again lol. It went well, I did 2 extra intervals as I felt I was able to push myself more.

I also did the first day and initial test of the One Hundred Pushups website. http://hundredpushups.com/week1.html

• Advertisement

22 March 2011

Last day of week 2 today........again! lol. Will start day 1 week 3 tomorrow.

Advertisement