Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5K and general fitness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭woggie

Well...how did week 3 go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Hey Adam.. great log!.. needed some inspiration and this is it!!.. I had actually printed off a log (similiar to the one you are following) yesterday and meant to get going last night - but I was wrecked.. ha ha ha!.. I took part in the 5k Mud Run on Saturday in Moyvalley and it near killed me so I really should have done the programme before the Mud Run came up!.. but I am happy that I completed it - but would have like to have been able to 'Run' the whole course!.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

28 March 2011

Hey everyone sorry for the late post. I was away this weekend at EYP (European youth parliament). I started week 3 yesterday and it went better than expected. I was expencting to be dead on the side of the road but I was actually fine. It might of been because during EYP me and my friends had to run twice from one end of Limerick to the other to catch the train that we nearly missed.
    So week 3 day 2 I might do today because I am busy tomorrow. I am also going to start weight training at the local gym (only €3 pay as you go per hour!) which I plan to day at least once a week maybe twice if I have time on one of the weekdays.

Adam

trustno1 wrote: »
    Hey Adam.. great log!.. needed some inspiration and this is it!!.. I had actually printed off a log (similiar to the one you are following) yesterday and meant to get going last night - but I was wrecked.. ha ha ha!.. I took part in the 5k Mud Run on Saturday in Moyvalley and it near killed me so I really should have done the programme before the Mud Run came up!.. but I am happy that I completed it - but would have like to have been able to 'Run' the whole course!.. :D

Hi, great to hear you are starting C25K! You should start today! Even if you are wrecked. The hardest part is starting, but once you get into it you can't stop.

Adam

29 March 2011

Did day 2 week 3 on Tuesday. Will do day 3 today! Week 3 is going really well. I am also going to the gym to start weight training tomorrow.

Adam

• Advertisement

31 March 2011

Week 3 done! It went really well. I am looking forward to week 4 on Sunday.

Adam

1 April 2011

Went to the gym today, it went really well I think. I started with a warm up of running for 5 mins and then did a few of the weight machines. I am really tired now lol. But I have the weekend to recover.

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Hey well done on the c25k, it sounds like you are doing great.
    I have been doing this the last few weeks but I can only manage to get out 2 nights a week so its taking me a bit longer to get through the weeks.
    On week 4 now and finding it really tough, week 5 starts on Tuesday for me and I am not really comfortable with week 4 yet.
    My fitness level has definitely improved alot with this though and I am surprised to say that I actually love going out running :D

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

thisisadamh, well done on your progress :D Making me motivated! I'll be out soon, just recovering from a chest infection!

Good luck in the upcoming weeks buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Fair play to you Adam, you seem to be making good progress. I think you've given me the initiative to start my own log on here.

I am fifteen and have been out injured for the last three weeks with an ankle injury and haven't been able to do anything, so I am back to square one. I will be out injured for another week or so.

I am going to start my log in two weeks, when we get our Easter holidays. I will do the C25K program to build my fitness back up and ease myself back into the flow of things.

Basically, my goal is to be a tank, so I'll see how that goes. :pac:

Keep up the good work, and best of luck for the future. ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the kind and motivating words :) I am started week 4 on Sunday and looking forward to it. I am really glad to hear that people are finding my log helpful and I will be looking forward to reading everyone else's log. Post a link to it here :)
    Desire. wrote: »
    Fair play to you Adam, you seem to be making good progress. I think you've given me the initiative to start my own log on here.

I am fifteen and have been out injured for the last three weeks with an ankle injury and haven't been able to do anything, so I am back to square one. I will be out injured for another week or so.

I am going to start my log in two weeks, when we get our Easter holidays. I will do the C25K program to build my fitness back up and ease myself back into the flow of things.

Basically, my goal is to be a tank, so I'll see how that goes. :pac:

Keep up the good work, and best of luck for the future. ;)

Cool, good to hear you are starting again :) My goal is just to get lean and toned really. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Hi all! I know I haven't posted here much but I'm just after completing day 3 of week 5.

Haven't been this fit in over two years. Am delighted with myself and feel like I'm getting back to being the old me that I used to be a long time ago.

Maybe it's already been mentioned but I find when it comes to doing C25K on the treadmill it's much easier when you break down the longer runs. In the case of the 20 mins I broke it down into five smaller runs with only a .5km/h speed difference between them. You wouldn't believe how relieved I was to ease it back down that little bit for four minutes before bringing it back up again. Challenging but keeps you from giving up when seeing the distance between you and the goal posts. :)

Best of luck everyone.

3 April 2011

So....Week 4 Day 1. This one really took a lot out of me. By the end my legs were crying lol. But the only way one improves is by pushing ones self lol. Day 2 will be on Tuesday.
    But now lets look back to a few weeks ago. While I was on this run I was thinking of my first day of week 1 where I could not even run the 60 seconds and now I am managing to run a full 5 mins!

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ladymuck

I am sooo delighted I found more C25K peeps. I am on week 3 day 2. I am looving it. This week was harder. I am using a t.mill also to do mine. I will run outside whan i am fitter :o:o:o
    I have to say I peeked a look at other weeks and I hope I can do it. They look very very difficult. Did ye find any particular week more difficult? I am also doing weight watchers every Wednesday and have lost 24 pounds. I have the same again to lose. I hope this will improve my fitness and loose pounds and tone me!!!! :P I would love to come on here to report and follow all of yer progress. I have to say I would love to be able to do this. Imagine running 5k from a real couch lazzzy asssss:D:D:D:D:D

ladymuck wrote: »
    I am sooo delighted I found more C25K peeps. I am on week 3 day 2. I am looving it. This week was harder. I am using a t.mill also to do mine. I will run outside whan i am fitter :o:o:o
    I have to say I peeked a look at other weeks and I hope I can do it. They look very very difficult. Did ye find any particular week more difficult? I am also doing weight watchers every Wednesday and have lost 24 pounds. I have the same again to lose. I hope this will improve my fitness and loose pounds and tone me!!!! :P I would love to come on here to report and follow all of yer progress. I have to say I would love to be able to do this. Imagine running 5k from a real couch lazzzy asssss:D:D:D:D:D
    Congrats on the weightloss ladymuck.
    I found week 4 very hard, I have done 2 weeks of week 4 , I cannot imagine how hard week 5 is going to be. Starting week 5 on Tuesday :eek:

babygirlz wrote: »
    Starting week 5 on Tuesday :eek:

Believe it or not both the OH and I found week 5 much easier than 4. I don't know what it is but I find that the short breaks in week 4 are what make it very tough.

You'll have no bother though babygirlz! If I can do it Lord knows you'll make it through alive..!

You will be amazed at what your body can do. At the start of week 5 I thought NO WAY will I be able to run that long without stopping - but I did. you will get SUCH a sense of achievement when you complete it. Even though you've been doing much shorter runs up to week 4 it really is all conditioning your body to run for longer periods each time. There was one moment during the 20minute run that I thought, oh hell I can't finish this but I found some personal motivation that kept me going.

So my tip to you is to think of something or someone that you find amazing (whether it be your grandad who ran a mini marathon or the picture you have in your mind of how you'll look when you are fit and lean) and then, if you think you're going to quit really think about this image, really picture it in your mind and let that inspire you to push on. For me it was some people I know that have recently dropped an amazing amount of fat (i mean we're talking 40lbs, it's almost a whole other person :D) and I just thought - would they quit? no way! and kept it up ... for me it worked ....just find your inspiration.

I should've been onto week 6 last week but had some issues that prevented me, will defintely be doing it tonight...God I hope the rain eases up :(

Believe it or not both the OH and I found week 5 much easier than 4. I don't know what it is but I find that the short breaks in week 4 are what make it very tough.

You'll have no bother though babygirlz! If I can do it Lord knows you'll make it through alive..!

Really???? I haven't even listened to it, I was afraid of what I was going to hear ;)

Really???? I haven't even listened to it, I was afraid of what I was going to hear ;)

Hehe ;)

Just to be sure that it wasn't a fluke I went to the gym again today to repeat W5D3 and fortunately I made it! Starting W6D1 on Thursday so it'll be interesting to see how it goes..!

All I can say is thank God for iPods and Podcasts!

yeah, sometimes you're better off not knowing what's coming LOL

• Advertisement

woggie wrote: »
    yeah, sometimes you're better off not knowing what's coming LOL

Well I will let ye know how I am tomorrow night, if I have the energy.

Sorry if I have not posted in a while :(
    But I started week 5 today! I am very pleased with myself. It went well, I thought I would not make it but I did. Will do day 2 for week 5 tomorrow

Adam

Keep up the good work Adam. You'll make it. !

Well done Adam you're doing terrific!

Sorry if I have not posted in a while :(
    But I started week 5 today! I am very pleased with myself. It went well, I thought I would not make it but I did. Will do day 2 for week 5 tomorrow

Adam
    Any updates on your training?

Any updates on your training?

I have been really busy with school lately but I have been sticking to my program! I am now on week 6! I ran for 20 mins non stop yesterday (week 5 day 3). I did not have much faith in myself. But I made it! I ran for 20 mins non stop. I was wrecked and sore afterwards but the sense of achievement outweighed the negatives lol. Will be starting week 6 tomorrow.

Thanks for all the support,
    Adam

I did not have much faith in myself. But I made it! I ran for 20 mins non stop.

Well now...let that be a lesson to you!!! Do an extra 5 mins for negative thoughts ;) LOL

You're doing great..you should look back at where you were when you first started this journey and see how far you've come! Well done Adam give yourself a slap on the back.:D

I am sick at the moment so I cant run. I am recovering well though so I may be able to continue Thursday.

Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

Fair play to you Adam! I just started C25K yesterday and I am not pleased to say I found Week 1 - Day 1 tough. Seriously, it's just so frustrating how unfit I got being out injured for a month.

Best of luck with the rest of the program and keep up the good work!

• Advertisement

I have started up again after being out sick for a week :( It seems that I have lost a week and a half of progress as I found week 5 run 1 and 2 hard. I am doing week 5 run 3 today to hopefully get me back to where I was a week ago. Hopefully I have recovered from doing day 1 and 2 yesterday and the day before.

Adam

Advertisement