Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knife sharpening

Options
  • 22-02-2011 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone know of a place i can get some knives sharpened in Dublin city !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

There is knacker who does it down beside the James Connolly statue.

The_Stupid__It_Burns_by_Plognark.png

Regards - Makikomi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi all,

Anyone know of a place i can get some knives sharpened in Dublin city !

go into your local butcher and ask him to do a few for you while you pay one of his staff for some nice meat.

he sees you buying something he may just do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Lahm wrote: »
    There is knacker who does it down beside the James Connolly statue.

Ahhh so that's why they call him Ripper!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

kceire wrote: »
    go into your local butcher and ask him to do a few for you while you pay one of his staff for some nice meat.

he sees you buying something he may just do it for you.

yeah, ask your butcher or a cobbler. i used to get the cobbler on sundrive road to do mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I always had it in my head that locksmiths would do it for you. No idea why though... A cobblers' would probably be a safer bet. Let us know if you find somewhere - I need to get some knives done now that I think of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Get hold of a sharpening steel and a stone and do it yourself..very easy.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2282_sharpen-kitchen-knives.html

Thanks all,

I'm going to drop them down to my butchers and see what he can do, he knows i'm a foodie and love my cooking so fingers crossed he'll get them done for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Do the laws on carrying knives not make it difficult to get knives sharpened? Technically you shouldn't be carrying them? Maybe I'm wrong?

Well they are in a silver code locked case so i don't think i'll be mistaken for the type of person your thinking of:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Do the laws on carrying knives not make it difficult to get knives sharpened? Technically you shouldn't be carrying them? Maybe I'm wrong?
    Trademen are allowed carry their tools. So a chef can reasonably carry around a bag of knives etc.

Elvis, if you don't have any luck with the butchers, check goldenpages.ie for "giltsharp". Fella from Meath who does be in the city centre often enough. He sharpens my shears for me and I think does work for some of the barbers and hairdressers in the area. If you livei n the city centre you arrange to meet him in the centre and he'll have them done in a half hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I can sharpen whatever you want sharpened? If your knives are cheap and soft steel I may not get a good result from them?

If they are decent steel and hardness it's not hard to set new bevels and gain good result.

I live down sarf in Waterford... but post me your knives and I can post back your knives on their best day?

Do you have any preference of edge angle? I can do zero to whatever edge, my preference being full flat grinds near zero...

I use (or can use) freehand, Edge Pro or a mix of stones and my hands work!

I will sharpen any knife to my ability and your desire, commercial knives may be different?

This is a weird post so allow me to explain.

I sharpen using freehand or a jig.

My jig allows me to set angles used in sharpening.

I use diamond plates and water stones to sharpen.

I am nearing 39, have sharpened knives since I was 9 yo.
    My Father was a Deer Hunter and so was I, for a time.

I can sharpen most knives, even yours.

I can do sharp or Sharp!

The level of polish depends on the steel used for your knife.

I will not mirror polish a knife of lesser steel, it doesn't need it.

I usually use an edge pro or japanese water stone to sharpen, waiting on a motor for my belt sander!

(I am happy to sharpen normal kitchen knives around Dungarvan, waiting on a call from Paul Flynn!

I've taken cooking classes from Paul and he is the Bidness!

If he would like his knives sharpened by me I would be delighted!

Paul or any of his staff, you have my number from cookery classes, message me!

I can call in and sharpen any day! Edge Pro not a bother! )

Advertisement