Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adding a downlight

• 22-02-2011 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all,
    had a quick search but couldnt find a similar topic.
    i recently hung a picture in sitting room and i wanted to added a downlight to enhance it.
    the picture cant be relocated because of the other furniture (fitted to wall) so what i want to do is add another downlight.
    it will be between two other existing downlights.
    can someone explain what i would need ie materials and go through the how to.
    as it with all electricial work i understand the risks with live current but i have changed existing light fittings before succesfully so im not a total novice

thanks for reading

rr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What's the wall made from? Plaster board? Or plastered block? Do you have access from above?

I would guess the existing ones are dropped from above, so have a look. They are probably connected with 1.5 t&e.

There typically isn't enough cable to loop down to an extra light, so you'll need extra 1.5 twin. I would find the direction of the cable run and pull back the cable to the new location, then use a new piece of cable to complete the run...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Do you mean a down light in the ceiling or a wall light.If a down light, you will need a down light, a lamp, a transformer if its low voltage, a junction coffin box, connectors and some 1.5 t&e. You may get lucky and the beams in the roof may run towards the wall and u maybe able to fish the cable across with no trouble, failing that you will have to drill the beams from above after you lift the carpet and floor boards upstairs. You could notch the beams if there are not too many but you would then have to plaster them back up and dont know what you are like at doin that... could be alot of work for one picture.....

Advertisement