Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1d mk2 7d or 50d ?

• 22-02-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

hey all

im thinking of getting back into photography as some of you know ive been fighting gloacoma the last few months and have lost my right eye any way i really miss going out with the camera so thinking of getting back on track so just thinking which of the top 3 cams to get any advice is welcome thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

im no professional, i got a 500D canon and i think its good. how big are you into photography? im just a beginner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

7D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

What are you going to be shooting? What is your budget?

I would avoid a 1d MK2 for a start and get the 7D with the kit lense for a good all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

What are you going to be shooting? What is your budget?

I would avoid a 1d MK2 for a start and get the 7D with the kit lense for a good all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not a Canon user but I'd go for the 7D from that trio any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

im into wildlife landscape i would loe the 7d because of the wireless flash etc how much should i pay for second hand one and was told they only work with sertion lens is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. However i purchased a 7D recently after returning a 60D because of a speedlite problem, and all i can say is wow. If you ignore the crop factor of the sensor and the slightly less ISO handling i think it is better than the 5D mkII. I purchased the body seperately from the lens as it worked out cheaper this way through Amazon. I purchased a 15-85mm EF-s IS lens and it is fantastic with pin sharp images. I think it is every bit as good as an L lens without the infamous red ring. Best of luck if you go for the 7D, you will enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

thanks tommy il be going for the 7d just shopping around for a good price body only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

sikahunter wrote: »
    im into wildlife landscape i would loe the 7d because of the wireless flash etc how much should i pay for second hand one and was told they only work with sertion lens is this true?

Kerso on Ebay sells them for about 1200 new body only, Great value! Doesn't seem to have any up at the moment, but if you dropped him a message on there I'm sure he'd be getting some in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Kerso on Ebay sells them for about 1200 new body only, Great value! Doesn't seem to have any up at the moment, but if you dropped him a message on there I'm sure he'd be getting some in!

Who is kerso? have seen him mentioned a few times here. Why do people use him, cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Who is kerso? have seen him mentioned a few times here. Why do people use him, cheap?

His name is Ian Kerso and he sells new canon gear from an ebay shop. His stock comes from the USA but everything is supplies with a UK invoice, so have full EU warranty.
    He's very highly regarded as being 100% reliable. He's also cheaper than amazon etc

I got the £999stg price & works out to be €1250 or so once you convert it into sterling and pay his requested 1% levy (if paying via paypal)

….Although I got a new IRE/UK spec 7D body from a seller in Cork 2 weeks ago for €1220 and didn't have to worry about creditcards and/or paypal ;)
    PM if want more details because im not sure if he wants the info openly broadcast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

Please PM :) - Thanks!
    His name is Ian Kerso and he sells new canon gear from an ebay shop. His stock comes from the USA but everything is supplies with a UK invoice, so have full EU warranty.
    He's very highly regarded as being 100% reliable. He's also cheaper than amazon etc

I got the £999stg price & works out to be €1250 or so once you convert it into sterling and pay his requested 1% levy (if paying via paypal)

….Although I got a new IRE/UK spec 7D body from a seller in Cork 2 weeks ago for €1220 and didn't have to worry about creditcards and/or paypal ;)
    PM if want more details because im not sure if he wants the info openly broadcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hi there, Sikahunter. I am sorry to hear of your glaucoma. It must be a hard experience for a person who enjoys photography.

It Sounds like you are into wildlife, landscape & remote flash.

I use a 40D myself & cheap flash triggers which work very well over short range, they are cactus v4 from gadetinfinity.com.

I find they work very well over a range up to about 50 metres. In crowded areas they tend to fire spontaneously - I think that cellphones etc may set them off.

My point is - you could get a used 30D or 40D for much less money than a 7D, and perhaps use the spare budget for better lenses or flash/studio equipt.

The 7D is a lovely camera, very solidly built, good autofucus, much better high ISO performance than the 40D - but is it worth the money? Only you can answer that.

Best of luck with your choice,

FoxT

Advertisement