Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing lights on Dunmore Road?

• 22-02-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

This is going to sound really odd but a couple nights, including last night, I have woken up to flashes of light outside my window. Its like its massive flashes of sheet lightening.

I saw it another night when I was outside Becketts, the sky just lit up a couple times. I probably sound like a lunatic so hoping someone can explain!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

This is going to sound really odd but a couple nights, including last night, I have woken up to flashes of light outside my window. Its like its massive flashes of sheet lightening.

I saw it another night when I was outside Becketts, the sky just lit up a couple times. I probably sound like a lunatic so hoping someone can explain!:)

Sometimes you can see the lights from Hook lighthouse in the sky in certain parts of the town- but I wouldn't describe them as lighting up the sky like sheet lighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Aurora Borealis my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfPVgPVV-ukw_bNwBQc1doMmSGNMyAOsRylxyE_ZKfUl2iwsBw&t=1

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

longshanks wrote: »

yeah i did hear on the radio last week that the northern lights would be visible at times in our sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

longshanks wrote: »
    sounds unlikely at this latitude and within city lights but I'd love it if you were right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

old gregg wrote: »
    sounds unlikely at this latitude

it is possible at this lattitude its to do with sun flares but would want to be a really clear night and you do have a point about city lights but def heard it on the radio last week so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

there were loads of news articles about possible sightings of the northern lights in Ireland but doubt it would have been that dramatic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I once saw the Aurorae in county Waterford about 5 years ago. In no way would they be mistaken for lightning.

The Aurorae move extremely slowly, so slow you can't notice it. What you see on TV are accelerated movies.
    Also they are too dim to see in the city. I saw them in the countryside after allowing my eyes about 10 minutes to adapt. They just glow, not enough to illuminate anything, and are dimmer than general light pollution. They are very pretty though.

Could be a car with full beams on, or maybe just aliens?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I want to believe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

sounds like some one welding to me ,,cheap lidl or aldi welder and owner of welder got a bit of scrap to burn practise on,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 lanno25

Could be the light house in Dunmore I often see the lights flashing from the Dunmore Rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Airport prehaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

plane comming in to land with flashing lights perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

some mad yoke taking pictures of you while you sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Maybe one of your neighbours' had one of those outdoor sensor lights installed in their garden. Those things can drive you mad cats or moving washing lines can set them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfPVgPVV-ukw_bNwBQc1doMmSGNMyAOsRylxyE_ZKfUl2iwsBw&t=1
    I was wondering what the picture was about. Then it hit me about the 'steamed hams'. Its funny how much useless information you can retain.

Advertisement