Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Pond recomendations

Options
  • 22-02-2011 8:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to have a garden pond built,it would be raised 2' and approx 3' wide by 4' long.
    I'd ideally like redbrick for the walls,a decent filter and probably lights too.

Anybody recomend somebody who can do a decent job without costing the earth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Degsy wrote: »
    I'm looking to have a garden pond built,it would be raised 2' and approx 3' wide by 4' long.
    I'd ideally like redbrick for the walls,a decent filter and probably lights too.

Degsy you mention filter so do you want fish or is it just for water planting?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Hi, I built mine myself and found it to be easier than I thought. I'm not a handyman at all and it turned out very well, well according to my friends anyway. I done mine in a figure 8, one half raised by about 16-18" with a little waterfall into the other half. I picked up a good liner & a filter system in Petmania. You should have no problem getting a lad in your area whos handy at brick/block work etc. if you want it done for you. The one tip I would give you is to use carpet under your liner on top of a bed of fine sand. I added some lillys etc and two years later it really come on. Even the birds use it as a bath in the mornings! I may have a picture if you need any ideas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Antiquo wrote: »
    Degsy you mention filter so do you want fish or is it just for water planting?

I want to keep fish as well as various plants...maybe a waterfall-thingy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Lidl are selling a pond kit (liner, grills, plants baskets) from Saturday at 20 euro ...
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20115070.Saturday_Super_Sale

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What would be better,reclaimed or new bricks and where's the best place in Dublin to source them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

I want to keep fish as well as various plants...maybe a waterfall-thingy too.

OK fish plants and waterfall in a 2' deep 3' x 4' 12'2 pond.

Fish require oxygenated water and a filtration system to remove solid waste. A bit more to it than that but basically a pump and filter kit

As for the fish themselves rule of thumb is 1" of fish for every square foot of pond surface area. so with 12'2 you can really only have 6 x 2" fish max leaving no room for growth. Better with 4 x 1" fish common goldfish.

Waterfall can be achieved with one of the many precast statues or moulded waterfalls which are simply piped to accept the hose return from the pump. However if you dont go for teh sealed filter system you will have to place the filter higher than the waterfall a bit difficult to disguise.

Lighting entirely feasible but has to be approved low voltage from RSD mains supply which will also supply pump. Get a sparks to do this unless you are competent with electrics.

Plants quite a few but lilly plants don't really tolerate moving water (waterfall) may get away with a dwarf if placed down the end of the pond away from waterfall. Other planting will require a marginal shelf constructed approx 12" below waterline list is endless but stick a few oxyginators in and stay away from large reed types as they get to big for a small formal pond.
    What would be better,reclaimed or new bricks and where's the best place in Dublin to source them?

As to what material is best depends on what you are trying to achieve and how it blends with the rest of the garden. A contemporary garden is going to look a bit naff with a pond in the middle constructed from recycled brick or even new brick for that matter. Match your materials and see what works.

Site is important but if you want a symetrical, i.e. in the middle of the garden look you're fixed. Otherwise try not to stick it at the back of the shed in the dark partial sun is fine.

New brick Roadstone and recycled brick google architectural salvage but you'll pay more for recovered bricks.

On construction do it properly with foundation for blockwork and brick skin. Because it will be exposed on four sides place 50mm insulation kingspan or similar around all internal walls before building marginal shelf. This can be moulded from clay spoil as wwhen you line it the water pressure will retain the shape and support it.

The insulation helps to stop the water temp changing too quickly as this can kill fish (won't stop it freezing). It also acts as a buffer when the ice does form and compresses the insulation rather than push on the walls.

My own pond had all of the slabs lifted around the edges this winter with 3" of ice which expanded and pushed them off their mortar. Killed quite a few fish and frogs as well despite keeping a hole open. then the Heron got the rest :(

Also important to line the area with sand, old carpet or glassfibre ins to prevent the liner from getting pierced. Get a good quality butyl rubber liner they last 20+ years if you treat them right. Cheaper means you'll be changing it in a few years when it cracks from UV radiation.

Cap off with suitable capping - don't skimp make the edges good and wide as people always go to sit down without looking then a skinny cap with big overhang gives way and they are swimming with the fishes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi degsy did you ever get your raised pond built yours ponddigger;)

Advertisement