Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mash Direct....freakin brilliant!

Options
  • 22-02-2011 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else love their stuff??!!!
    Cheap, tastes as good as / if not better than the "real" stuff and easy as hell to cook!!!

They do cabbage now too.... WIN!!!

Funnily nuff their mash is the worst of the range though? :o

Mash direct FTW!

christmassleeves005.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Turnip... ewww!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

hightower1 wrote: »
    Cheap, tastes as good as / if not better than the "real" stuff and easy as hell to cook!!!

Mash direct FTW!

christmassleeves005.jpg

I hear they also do some great spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Haven't had that brand but the Tesco and M&S mash is unreal. And so simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Mash Direct....

ahhhhhh, wht isnt there a "peel my orange direct"!!!!, id buy that for a dollar!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This advert is brought to you by After Hours :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭NeedaNewName

Used to buy it but now for the 15 to 20 odd minutes worth of cooking I'd rather make my own fresh stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

The champ is lovely! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I've always wondered who bought this stuff - every time I see it I think - erm..why not make your own? It ain't rocket science - but perhaps there are additives in there that make it taste better than homemade? I'd love to hear from people who do buy it, why they buy it (not pre-judging here, am genuinely interested)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Is boiling some stuff and mashing it *that* difficult? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Spadina wrote: »
    Is boiling some stuff and mashing it *that* difficult? :confused:

Just on that point, and obviously I completely agree, but on the packaging of that 'stuff', it says 'steam cooked for flavour'!? Though that was odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Those turnips look scary..

Everything there looks scary and fake. It's like someone just dyed this generic mush a few different colours. I like smooth mash but turnips, parsnip and carrots fair well with a few lumpy bits here and there. I don't want to be eating baby food :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Don't think the photos do it justice, it does actually taste really nice and natural, particularly the turnip which I love.

Yes, making your own is better but sometimes when you've been working late and you want something quick that's not loaded with preservatives and transfats this will do the job - jeez has no-one ever bought a ready meal here?

Don't think the photos do it justice, it does actually taste really nice and natural, particularly the turnip which I love.

Yes, making your own is better but sometimes when you've been working late and you want something quick that's not loaded with preservatives and transfats this will do the job - jeez has no-one ever bought a ready meal here?

I won't speak for everyone here but, I certainly have had a ready meal before, the champ just looks a bit scary. You know, super smooth like baby food, that's all! I'm sure it tasted nicer once out of a packet.

Tesco do a gorgeous root veg mash from their finest range. Yummers!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Being absolutely truthful, for the past 25 years I've avoided most pre-prepared food, with the exception of pizzas (maybe once a month?), frozen chips (for the husband) and veg (for convenience), and occasionally a bag of pre-grated cheese, though I feel bad when I buy that, as it's so easy to grate my own. I admit I'm not short of time, but am short of money, so it makes little sense for me to pay a manufacturer to do something I have the time to do myself. I'm also a bit of a fanatic when it comes to unnecessary packaging - a potato comes with a skin, so all it needs is a bag to carry it home in - not a plastic dish and wrapping.

I guess if you're short of time these are easy to bung in the microwave, and at least the ingredients are (I think?) all natural. Better to be eating these vegetables than surviving on chips and baked beans :)

Also - am still confused about the difference between a swede and a turnip - a turnip is smaller white and purple thing to me, a swede is what the US people call rutabaga, and is what is called 'turnip' in these products is a swede, to me. If the big thing with orange flesh is a turnip, what is the smaller white and purple thing, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Darkginger wrote: »
    Also - am still confused about the difference between a swede and a turnip - a turnip is smaller white and purple thing to me, a swede is what the US people call rutabaga, and is what is called 'turnip' in these products is a swede, to me. If the big thing with orange flesh is a turnip, what is the smaller white and purple thing, then?
    The smaller white ones are called white turnips or sometimes spring turnips although you don't see them that often. Swedes / rutabaga are conversely sometimes called yellow turnips in the US.

Darkginger wrote: »

I thought a swede, rutabaga and turnip were the same, just named different things depending where you from.. Like Aubergine is eggplant and some American's call red peppers capsicums. Zucchini is a courgette too right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lornen wrote: »
    I thought a swede, rutabaga and turnip were the same, just named different things depending where you from.
    Not quite. Swede and rutabaga are the same thing, but the word turnip, used here in Ireland is used in other countries to refer to another species of smaller white turnip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Absolutely love their stuff. My local supercell has stopped selling it though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

anytime I see food like this I wonder what kind of laboratory the veg was 'grown' in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I much prefer to make and cook my own dinner. I don't like the idea of mash direct at all. Cooking is fun too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

hightower1 wrote: »

Mash direct FTW!

christmassleeves005.jpg

I hope you didn't any of those. They're all out of date by over a year!

Advertisement