Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altnagelvin Hospital - fit for purpose?

Options
  • 22-02-2011 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Are there any positive stories from this hospital?

I ask because an 80-year old woman I know was sent home on Friday after a fall although she was in pain, assured that the X-rays showed no fracture. After a weekend of terrible pain she received a call on Monday to say an ambulance was on its way as the staff had re-examined the X-rays and found a hip fracture!

We already know that a backlog of X-rays at the hospital had built up for two years before being made public and it is taking up to a year for routine neurology referrals to get appointments.

Personally, I was supposed to receive an urgent referral to Altagelvin. When I heard nothing I phoned up and was told that I was on waiting list to see a nurse in May!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Whilst it's not that important in the grand scheme of things, the orthodontic deparment is top notch. I was never waiting long for an appointment and in any "emergency" situtations they generally dealt with me at the end of whatever day I called in (assumingly when they could have been going home).

Advertisement