Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From Here to Maternity - RTE

Options
  • 22-02-2011 9:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone going to watch it tonight, seems like One Born Every Minute but in CUMH.

Be good to see the differences in the UK and Irish Care.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

yup i am watching it, nice to see it from the other side, i had our daughter there 18 months ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Too much men yakking, not enough women pushing!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

"One born every minute" seems much more realistic about the whole process, as opposed to "From here to maternity", which was a bit too easy-going and non-discript.

I say "seems", as my other half will have our first in about 4 weeks, so I can post with her and my experience at that stage.

To be honest, she got more freaked out by the amount of times they were discussing "...and how many don't have a bed?" on RTE's program rather than any prolonged labour on "One born every minute".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Looking forward to this. Had to tape it as the football was on last night.

I always wondered if the birthrate was affected by the One Born programme in the UK. It definitely is warts and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I had a feeling that Ireland being smaller and more conservative, it wouldn't be as graphic.
    I have to agree that the only reason I watched it was for comparison reasons. The constant "how many beds do we have" updates(including 4 women on trolleys at one stage), filled me with dread for my first time in September.
    I don't know what RTE thought they could get covered in under 25 mins anyway. The reason OBEM works is because it follows a few couples on a long journey.
    Although, I must say, it was really nice for my partner to see the reaction of the Irish men who had just witnessed the birth of their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭fi1979

I must catch it on rte player. I had my baby in CUMH last April, and even seeing the trailers on telly, was weird. The midwife who did my delivery is on it, and it all felt like a bit of a flashback.
    Hopefully it might help show what a great team there is in CUMH, I simply couldn't fault my visit, and it would be nice to see them get some good PR for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Loadie

I am due in early April, & have to admit i have avoided watchin one born every minute, but decided i wanted to see the irish one & thanks to these mad hormones i bawled the whole way through:D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Loadie wrote: »
    I am due in early April, & have to admit i have avoided watchin one born every minute, but decided i wanted to see the irish one & thanks to these mad hormones i bawled the whole way through:D

Me too! 'Look - sniff - it's a little baby - we're getting one of those - oh god pass me a tissue....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

TBH I don't think it was to be the Irish version of OBEM. Channel 4 is all about the dramatics and shock factor so of course it will be as graphic as can be.

Personally I don't want to see that, I'm going to be at the wrong end to see it when I'm in delivery myself and certainly don't want to see anyone else.

I think this was more about the hospital workings and how the mum & dads to be feel about the whole process.

I liked it to be honest, I'm 1 week away from my due date and after seeing it my reaction was I want to have my baby now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I found OBEM calmed me down. I was with my cousin when she was in labour on the Anti-natal ward 13 years ago, that's the closest I'd been to the whole thing.

When I saw OBEM I felt I knew as much as I could know and was confident that I could get through it. I also had a better idea what the midwives are looking for like: can you talk while having a contraction etc.

But yeah, 3 mins into RHTM I was blubbing.... when will I return to my normal self?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

30 min programmes on rte are my bugbear. Do they think our concentration spans are so bad that we can't follow more than half an hour. The stories are never fully developed.

Regards last nights programme I was seriously blubbering when the doctor said the 2nd of the triplets was struggling. My one month old dote was beside me and I just felt so sad for the parents. It's any would be parent's worst nightmare. I cheered when the other woman went into labour naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

there are another 5 episodes, but i am wondering if they are going to be the same or will they now they have introduced us continue long the story of those we have seen in episode 1!

so far it was nice being able to see it again, i really enjoyed (as much as you can) having my daughter there, the nurses were fantastic, the staff were lovely and the place was fantastic! :)

Advertisement