Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB to Serial RS-232 cable help

• 22-02-2011 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all
    im trying to programme variable speed drives with laptop software through a USB to RS232 serial converter . i loaded the cable software and the laptop reconises it when connected but when i connect to the unit im tring to programme the software tells me that the cable is damaged etc . i bought another cable to see if it worked but had same results . i have checked the comm number matched the stop bit parity etc . Does any one have any ideas i would much appreciate the help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

which OS ?

which usb chipset ? lusb will list it in linux, with windows you have to go into properties in device manager and look at the ID's - probably a prolific like this 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc.. PL2303 Serial Port
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-to-rs232-serial-port-adapter-transparent-green-24512
    (you can pay many, many times this for ones with the same chipset :( )

which pins do you need ? many are just 2,3 and 5 so won't do hardware handshaking, just xon-xoff at best , what settings does the equipment have ?

FIFO buffers can be a problem

also old dos/windows 9x programs that expect to see a serial port at a fixed address usually fail to recognise USB ports

voltages can be a problem what was serial 3-15V depending on who you believe, 5V from usb just may not be enough , I had a serial mouse that would work on a desktop but on a laptop I had to wire up a 9v battery to it

Advertisement