Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought headphones but they are for the US!!!!

• 22-02-2011 10:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am panicking - I spent €135 on headphones and it appears that the plug is only suited for the american market (has a narrow set of pins)

I bought it on Amazon and there was no warning that it was US specific... can I buy some sort of adapter so it can be plugged into our sockets???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

Lots of pharmacies have these travel adapters that will work. Just make sure you check whether its for Continental Europe or America as there is a difference between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Thanks for the replies:

this is the link and it is from whom I bought the item. I've emailed Amazon to see will they replace it with the UK/Ire equivalent but I've no response yet.

I am really concerned cos €135 is a lot of money to me.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=triton+ax+720

There was no warning that these were specific to the US, nor was same on the box and the manual so it means that the item is totally opened up and I wonder will that make a refund difficult.

I read up on adapters and transformers etc and i think from reading same that i could only use it for a few hours a go, etc.

Not the intention so if thats true it is of little use to me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Op can you post up a pic of the plug & anything written on it, there may be no need for panic just yet.

From what i can see on amazon an universal adaptor like the one below will do just fine, COBYCA11.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am panicking - I spent €135 on headphones and it appears that the plug is only suited for the american market (has a narrow set of pins)

I bought it on Amazon and there was no warning that it was US specific... can I buy some sort of adapter so it can be plugged into our sockets???:confused:
    Thanks for the replies:

this is the link and it is from whom I bought the item. I've emailed Amazon to see will they replace it with the UK/Ire equivalent but I've no response yet.

I am really concerned cos €135 is a lot of money to me.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=triton+ax+720

There was no warning that these were specific to the US, nor was same on the box and the manual so it means that the item is totally opened up and I wonder will that make a refund difficult.

You bought an electrical device on Amazon.com in dollars. What type of plug did you think you were getting?:confused:
    Good luck with getting a refund, might be tricky.

• Advertisement

Fingers, seems obvious now but I bought the PS3 headset from them and it worked fine. Also all their DVDs carry the region warning so i would have expected same.

Fingers... also I didnt even know there would be a plug - thought it was powered through the PS3 like most accessories. Its a fair assumption?

Clohane, cant get a pic uploaded at present but this is very similar:-

http://shop.eurodidact.com/images/mains_adaptor_f12_us-01.jpg

On the plug it says "input 100-240v - 50-60hhz" which is encouraging? I have no idea... :(

I am confused, isnt there a difference in getting a new plug and getting some adaptors?, i.e. no good changing the number of pins on the plug itself, have to look at transformers and all that stuff... i dunno?

Is it really that simple? I might call to Harvey Norman later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭vandriver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

I am confused, isnt there a difference in getting a new plug and getting some adaptors?, i.e. no good changing the number of pins on the plug itself, have to look at transformers and all that stuff... i dunno?

Is it really that simple? I might call to Harvey Norman later

Ok stop panicking, let me explain.

The voltage in the US is 120V (60Hz)
    The voltage in Europe is 240V (50Hz)

Most recent electronic plugs/transformers accept both voltages. If your plug says the above you will be fine. (240V (50Hz))

US plugs have two pins, UK/Irish plugs have three pins.

IF you have a US two pin plug, you can an adaptor in Tesco for €2 to make it 3 pin Irish

• Advertisement

dmclean1842, thanks for that...

very sound of you all to help me out - i am dope sometimes...

I will get the adaptor today so and let you know..

thanks again lads and lassies.

Update

there was a transformer in the plug so any kinda US to UK/Ire socket adaptor works...

Thanks

Advertisement