Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access Courses

Options
  • 22-02-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Im looking to return to education in September 2011 but unfortunetly I wont meet the age requirements to apply to any of the colleges/Universities this year as I only turned 23 this month which means I dont qualify as a mature student untill next year:( Anyone on here have any Info/experience of these access courses or which Institutions run them? any help would be appreciated Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm know of somebody who went on the access course in UCD, and found it very good.

They are relatively straight forward to enter, however there are fees involved (in the low hundreds), but if you achieve a good enough attendence record and can get a high enough GAP (circa 66%) you will be ensured your place in the full course the following academic year, which is worth your while as you would remove uncertainty about your place next year if you did well enough this year coming.

Email the admissions office of each college and they'll give you all the info regarding enrolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fonzey

Hey, I'm currently doing a one year Access Course in Belfast Metropolitan College. It's accredited by Queens and only cost £10 registration fee at the start of the year (though that may change in future due to lack of funding). You could choose between Science related or Humanities and Social Sciences Access Courses. I chose the Social Sciences route, and now have 5 offers for Undergrad courses in the UK, including a University in the top 10 UK league tables. Most of the other folk on the course have all received offers too, with everybody receiving an offer at Queens.

The course can be done part-time over 2 years, or the fast track one year option which I'm doing. It has been described as trying to cram studying 3 A levels into one year. It's demanding, and has more contact hours than you'll have at University. You also need to have over 80% attendance in each module over the course of the year in order to pass. Although I had to move to Belfast to do this course, it's the best choice I've made in years! It's really helpful for mature people who left education early, and it also gives you a good grounding in the subjects you may go on to study at Uni!

Also just to point out, this Access course is for entry into UK Universities. I took this route because I would have to pay fees up front in an Irish Uni, whereas I can get a tuition fee loan (as an EU member) which will not have to be paid back until I'm earning in excess of £15,000.. Also, think of the caliber of Unis you can apply to! My friend has an offer for Cambridge from doing this course! Hope this helps in your decision!

Advertisement