Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.J. is dying

Options
  • 22-02-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My rubber plant (S.J.) is on his last legs. I've had him for about three years and, although he's a slow grower, he's always been healthy.

I don't know his breed - he's a large-leaved rubber indoors potted plant. I was told when I got him not to water him too much and to only feed him once a month or so. He sits on the window sill in my sitting room and gets about 3 - 8 hours' of sunlight a day depending on season.

In the last month or so, he's just started to die. His leaves are turning yellow and then brown and then falling off. I've tried everything I can think of / been advised, which isn't much, namely running him under a shower to let the water run through him and turning him around on his sitting place, keeping him away from the window for a while to warm up and giving him a leaf bath.

He only has three leaves left at the top and they are mostly yellow.

I asked at a plant store recently and I was told not to feed him - that feeding a dying plant was a bad idea.

I'd hate for him to die. If there's any more information I can give, or any advice that you have, I'd be grateful. I last changed the soil about seven months' ago, when I moved him into a larger pot. He's about three feet in height from soil and the pot is about a foot in diameter. In his heyday, his fully grown leaves were about 7" in length and maybe 3.5" in width. They used to point upwards (*sob*).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Did you try watering it with rain water? You should dampen a sponge and run it across the leaves. I assume it's not in a cold spot or sun beating on it through a window. Use baby-bio or similar, once around now, and again in July.

Advertisement