Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

tap

• 22-02-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

hey , i need a new tap in my camper bathroom .A new original one is aprox £170 sterling from hymer uk .Where is the best place to get any tap that would suit .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

we always have a few in stock... if you're way down South , I'd suggest Buckleys Caravans . Hymer.... That's a lever type tap?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DVD2009

heres the tap ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

looks to me like a standard mixer tap.....should pick one up in any kitchen company or plumbing supplies......expect to pay €35 at the most.......noyeks sell them at that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

del88 wrote: »
    looks to me like a standard mixer tap.....should pick one up in any kitchen company or plumbing supplies......expect to pay €35 at the most.......noyeks sell them at that price

I would agree, this tap is not of the type which includes a micro-switch for the pump and should be directly replaceable with a domestic unit available from a good plumbing suppliers. At worst you might have to modify the connection to your water supply pipes.

Original equipment replacement parts for motor caravans can sometimes cost up to five to seven times the cost of equivalent parts sourced from the DIY suppliers or motor factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Agree with all of the above

I replaced one of taps on my van with a tap bought in B&Q......you can do the same ASSUMING that your tap is not a tap with a micro switch

• Advertisement

there are wires underneath,surely it would have a switch to turn on the pump...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

DVD2009 wrote: »
    there are wires underneath,surely it would have a switch to turn on the pump...:confused:

You would have to buy a tap with a microswitch you can buy them off the shelf at Charles Camping .or O'meara camping in Dublin .or Camping Crazy in New Ross in Wexford .A household tap will not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

DVD2009 wrote: »
    surely it would have a switch to turn on the pump...:confused:

A lot of caravans and motorhomes have a flow switch to activate the pump just like the showerpump in your home.

I have twp taps which looks the same in my motor caravan and they do not contain a micro-switch.
    A lot of motor caravans now have pressure systems with one central diaphragm switch which cuts in when the pressure drops as a tap is opens and cuts back out when the pressure rises again in the system after the tap is closed.
    This system eliminates the need for micro-switches built into each tap.
    If the pump doesn't start for a few moments after the tap is turned on and 'runs on' for a short while after the tap is closed you have a system with the pump controlled by one central diaphragm switch.

It's a Hymer , so 99% it's got a submersible pump , which needs a tap with a micro switch . I'll check the price tomoro . is that one with the shower hose that pulls out through the body of the tap? Our ones would be generally silver/chrome finish , not blue , would that be ok?

• Advertisement

the colour doesnt matter , either does the shower hose . i have to get a socket to fit the lock nut to get it out , but it defo has a micro switch .

I never use a sucket , I get a swan-neck pliers to the nut . And 90% of the time , I catch the nut with one hand , and turn the body of the tap with my other hand , and I can normally loosen it . It helps that I've mechanics fingers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I replaced mine recently and it is the one with the microswitch in my Hymer.

Now have just developed an intermittent problem with my kitchen tap. I can hear the microswitch click but the pump is not cutting in. However if I keep turning it on and off and listening for the pump it will eventually work.. Guess I need to save for a new one..

The bathroom one with the shower pull out cost me around 120 euro I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'd just leave the tap there and wire up a push button switch that I can operate by knee or foot.

Why bother with the micro-switch, just disconnect it or replace the tap with a regular domestic one.
    To control the pump fit one of these Inline Pressure Switch in the flow pipe from the water tank. when wired into the power supply to the pump it will start and stop the pump automatically whenever any tap is opened.
    It's a lot less expensive in the long run.

I wastalking to the OP , and got him sorted with a new tap.

just got a tap , without the shower , for 60E + p.p from pat horans .Just to fit it now .
    Tanx Aidan M M .

Advertisement