Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunboyne 4 Mile

• 22-02-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Anyone done this before? If so, what's the verdict. The site says the course is fast and flat. No hills then? :)

http://www.dunboynerun.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

I just signed up today myself, 1st time..Hope to break 31 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I ran this for the first time last year and thouroughly enjoyed it. It was well run, great atmosphere and it was nice to be able to run through the village and to finish there as well.

I'll be there and would recommend it highly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great race this, course is totally flat so expect fast times. Doin it myself, looking for under 28mins. Depends how the Wicklow Gaol 10km went earlier in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Any race results from last year available online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

G-Money wrote: »
    Any race results from last year available online?

http://www.dunboyneac.com/training/dunboyne_ac_race_results_10.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Was this the 'smelly one' from last year or am I thinking of somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was this the 'smelly one' from last year or am I thinking of somewhere else?

Right location different race I think. BHAA race out there had some farm smells to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Its a top race. One of those races that attracts a good quality field.

ecoli wrote: »

Those times seem quite fast. The last finisher was 57 minutes. I think it would be touch and go me doing 6.4K in less than 57 minutes seeing my current 5K times are hovering around the 41 minute mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Those times seem quite fast. The last finisher was 57 minutes. I think it would be touch and go me doing 6.4K in less than 57 minutes seeing my current 5K times are hovering around the 41 minute mark.

Given your current 5k shape I would say 52-54 is do able for you especially as its a fast course (faster than the 5k one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭umpire bat

The Dunboyne AC road race has a different route to the BHAA race.
    Last years route was completely new due to major road changes brought about by the opening of M3. The Dunboyne race is promo'd along with the Bundoran race in the current edition of Irish Runner. It is also part of the 2011 Meath Running League.

17.03Fr. Murphy 5 Mile Road Race inc.Co Cship Fr Murphy AC, Kildalkey,
    27.03 Dunboyne AC 4 Mile Road Race
    Dunboyne AC Dunboyne Community Centre
    03.04 Meath Hill Running Championships (IMRA rules) St. Brigid's AC Mullaghmeen Forest Park, Oldcastle, Co. Meath
    13.05 Simon Cumber 6k Road Race Navan AC Claremont Stadium, Navan
    24.05 Bob Heffernan 5k Road Race Na Fianna AC Hamlet Court Hotel, Johnstown Bridge, Enfield
    11.06 Patrick Bell Memorial 5k Road Race & Fun Race Bohermeen AC Bohermeen Community Centre
    17.06 The Braveheart 5k Trail Run Trim AC,Trim, Co. Meath
    25.06 Michael Manning 10k Road Race & Fun Run Dunshaughlin AC Dunshaughlin Community Centre
    06.07 South O'Hanlon 5k Road Race & Fun Run South O'Hanlon AC Senschelstown GAA Centre
    20.07 St. Brigid's AC 5k Road Race & Fun Run St Brigids AC Ballinacree,Oldcastle
    26.08 Tara AC 5K Road Race & Fun Run Tara AC Skyrne Community Hall
    11.09 Rennicks Cup & Fr Delany 5 Mile Road Race & Fun Run Bohermeen AC Bohermeen Community Centre
    25.09 Star of the Sea AC 23rd Annual Cross Country Meeting Star of the Sea AC Greenanstown, Stamullen,
    26.12 Paddy Hyland 10k Road Race & Fun Run Navan AC Claremont Stadium, Navan

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Pleased to say we are doing the chips at Dunboyne on 27th. Start mats, finish mats, split point mats, LED screen at finish and fast results posted online afterwards plus text messages. Looking forward to seeing a few of you there.

Anybody know what time the number pick up closes at and where it is ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

JosDel wrote: »
    Anybody know what time the number pick up closes at and where it is ?

Number pickup is in Dunboyne Community Centre. Not sure when it closes but I wouldn't leave it too late to get there. Some of the local roads are closed for the juvenile races at 2pm. I'll be timing to be there around 1.30pm. This race has a terrific atmosphere, before, during and after the race. It's also great if you bring support with you as they will get to see you 3 times as you pass through the village twice and arrive at the finish.

Number pickup is in Dunboyne Community Centre. Not sure when it closes but I wouldn't leave it too late to get there. Some of the local roads are closed for the juvenile races at 2pm. I'll be timing to be there around 1.30pm. This race has a terrific atmosphere, before, during and after the race. It's also great if you bring support with you as they will get to see you 3 times as you pass through the village twice and arrive at the finish.

Thanks MCS

I'm going by train so I'll try and get there for 1:30 to soak up the atmosphere..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Note that the start of both the juvenile and senior races has changed and is further away from the community centre than previous years. New start is about 1km away from the Community centre on a quieter road.

notsofast wrote: »
    Note that the start of both the juvenile and senior races has changed and is further away from the community centre than previous years. New start is about 1km away from the Community centre on a quieter road.

The senior race start has moved from last year. Not sure about the juvenile races though.

The new senior start avoids having to make a tight left-hand turn early on in the race.

anybody get an email with race details...race number and that ?

Anywhere to park near this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

2,000 spaces at the M3 train station and about 300 at Dunboyne station - about €2 per day. Alternatively bus or train.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/?searchtype=place&searchquery=Dunboyne
    Route Description
    70 Baggot St. (Grand Canal) Towards Dunboyne
    270 From Blanchardstown Centre Towards Dunboyne

http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=1038
    Hit the road at the irishrail.ie Dunboyne 4 Mile Road Race and Fun Run by Corporate Communications

Join the stars of Operation Transformation at the irishrail.ie Dunboyne 4 Mile Road Race and Fun Run on Sunday 27th March next

The irishrail.ie Dunboyne 4 Mile Road Race & Fun Run is billed as ‘A Short Race with a Big Reputation’ and has taken place annually for over four decades. The event has a special place on the Irish road race calendar and this year the local Dunboyne Athletic Club are hoping for an entry of over 1,000 in the 4 mile event, as well as more big entries in the Under 12 (800m) and Under 15 (1mile) events that are also part of the programme.

The irishrail.ie Dunboyne 4 Mile Road Race & Fun Run is open to walkers, joggers and runners and the entry fee is pitched at the very competitive price of just €15. All finishers will receive a high-quality souvenir technical T-shirt, a Goodie Bag and generous amounts of post-race refreshment.

Take the train to the start line with frequent, fast services from Docklands to Dunboyne

• Advertisement

Anywhere to park near this?

Lots of parking at Community Centre and in grounds of Community College (next door)

Get there early, enjoy the atmosphere, and have your choice of spaces :D

I always thought Docklands closed on Sunday ?

Just to clarify - Dunboyne rail station is EUR2, the M3 Parkway station is free (but a mile out of the village).

as MCS said, there will be lots of parking in the village itself at the community centre and the primary school just beside it. Also in the library carpark.

Docklands station is closed on Sunday, the Sunday service to Dunboyne operates out of Connolly. trains are every hour. there is a 13.10 that gets to dunboyne at 13:36. Senior Race starts at 3 so taking the 14:10 would be pushing it a bit.

Juvenile races also have a new start. They will run anti-clockwise this year and run in same direction to the finish gantry as the senior race.

JosDel wrote: »
    anybody get an email with race details...race number and that ?

So you just give your name and pick up your number ?

If you have preregistered, just go to the community centre in the village, give your name and you will receive your number and chip. Community centre is about 1k from the race start so don't leave it too late.
    If you haven't preregistered, same procedure but it will cost you 5 euro more.

If you have preregistered, just go to the community centre in the village, give your name and you will receive your number and chip. Community centre is about 1k from the race start so don't leave it too late.

Cheers thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Pleased to say we are doing the chips at Dunboyne on 27th. Start mats, finish mats, split point mats, LED screen at finish and fast results posted online afterwards plus text messages. Looking forward to seeing a few of you there.

thank god its not tds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dunboyne AC

Please note this site will close at midnight on Friday.
    We will take cash entries on the day but it will be €5 more!
    Number collection in the Community centre opens at 12.30.
    Late Registration will close at 2.40pm
    We expect approx 900 entrants which is 400 more that last year
    so please come early to collect your number and get the
    techical teeshirts.
    Fitsquad will do a warm up at the start which is approx a mile away
    Great goody bags and spot prizes afterwards as well as the cup of tea
    and sandwiches!!
    An elite Irish male athlete who wishes to remain unamed at this point will be making an attempt at the 18m course record.Guess who!

[QUOTE=An elite Irish male athlete who wishes to remain unamed at this point will be making an attempt at the 18m course record.Guess who![/QUOTE]

Joe Sweeney ?

• Advertisement

We'd love if Joe Sweeney could come to defend his title but we are led to believe he is now on a break.
    Guess again!!
    The other question is will the other athletes in the leading group help him and maybe sacrifice winning some prizemoney themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

We'd love if Joe Sweeney could come to defend his title but we are led to believe he is now on a break.
    Guess again!!
    The other question is will the other athletes in the leading group help him and maybe sacrifice winning some prizemoney themselves?

Martin Fagan?

Is it true there are medal's for all finishers? It's the main reason I'm thinking of doing the race :)

Is it true there are medal's for all finishers? It's the main reason I'm thinking of doing the race :)

It's true OK..See website down the right side http://www.dunboynerun.com/

Sorry lads, I'm afraid that the "medals to all finishers" only applies to the two juvenile races held before the senior race. There is an 800m u12 and an 1500m u15 race starting at 2pm where all finishers receive a medal.

Sorry lads, I'm afraid that the "medals to all finishers" only applies to the two juvenile races held before the senior race. There is an 800m u12 and an 1500m u15 race starting at 2pm where all finishers receive a medal.

Well that's a bit disappointing. They should have been clear about that on the site.

• Advertisement

Well that's a bit disappointing. They should have been clear about that on the site.

Were you seriously on going to run so you could get a medal? If that is the case do a training run instead and buy yourself a medal in a sportshop like sportsworld in Terenure. Will probably save yourself 12 euro in total and can pick the colour of your medal and ribbon ;)

Were you seriously on going to run so you could get a medal? If that is the case do a training run instead and buy yourself a medal in a sportshop like sportsworld in Terenure. Will probably save yourself 12 euro in total and can pick the colour of your medal and ribbon ;)

I have to admit I liked the idea of a medal as a souvenir proving I'd done the race. That was it really.

I have to admit I liked the idea of a medal as a souvenir proving I'd done the race. That was it really.

Usually the medals given out at road races are pretty nondescript. You do get the odd medal that is a nice keep sake but generally they are $hite. No slight on Dunboyne's medals by the way, I never got one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just signed up for this, first time doing it so looking forward to it.

Dont really care about medals for competing races as usually they go in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Usually the medals given out at road races are pretty nondescript. You do get the odd medal that is a nice keep sake but generally they are $hite. No slight on Dunboyne's medals by the way, I never got one.

Yes I intermittently buy medals from dowling sports for sports competitiions in the school I work at. I recognise most of the medals I get at races as being the same ones I buy and can confirm they cost about 50 cents (ribbon and sticker included).
    The only nice ones I have ever got were for completing marathons (the DCM ones are particularly nice). I much prefer to get a tech top or t-shirt from a race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I remember you getting a ncie feeding bowl for your dog a couple of years ago ;)

shels4ever wrote: »
    I remember you getting a ncie feeding bowl for your dog a couple of years ago ;)

That has pride of place on my office shelf. Piece of crap went off colour!

Is the Community ctr on Station Rd ?

The community centre is on the station road, half way between the Dunboyne train station and the village centre. It's directly beside the St Peters secondary school.

The community centre is on the station road, half way between the Dunboyne train station and the village centre. It's directly beside the St Peters secondary school.

Thanks

Hi Folks,
    Summer time begins Saturday night so dont forget to move the clock forward 1 hour!
    We have over 900 expected on Sunday - 400 more than last year -so please arrive early.New start position is 10 minutes away.
    Pre entry €15 at Dunboynerun.com closes at midnight tonight.
    Entries on day from 12.30 to 2.30 €20 cash only.
    Collect number, chip and teeshirt in Registration Hall.
    Results in Monday's Irish Independent. All finishers get a goodybag with an irishrail train return ticket voucher. Refreshments back in Registration Hall afterwards.
    Three times through village centre so guaranteed great atmosphere!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Signed up this evening before the online deadline finishes
    Here's hoping the good weather remains!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Provisional results available on www.championchipireland.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Wow 18:26 is some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Excellent race, cant say it any better. Well marshalled, great weather, fast course and quality t-shirt all for €15. Great to see such a large crowd gathered in the village shouting everybody home, added real atmosphere to the race.

• Advertisement
Advertisement