Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop HDD in a PC?

• 22-02-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I need to hook a laptop HDD (travelstar Model No. HTS541212H9AT00) to a PC to get some files off of it. I have seen you can get cables online for about $20 that will hook it to a USB but the shipping on them is around $70! :eek:

Know anywhere local, or even an easier way to do this?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where is local? Cork?
    But yeah, a local PC fixer/nixer should be able to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

You could probably get yourself a caddy/enclosure for €10/€15, maybe even cheaper, over on adverts. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭jak/mar

This might be what you're looking for.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-sata-ide-cable-set-474
    $11 with free shipping. Only downside is that it will take time to arrive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it was SATA you could just connect it to the sata connectors on most of todays motherboards

It's IDE so you need a physical adaptor or a USB device

if time is not essential deal extreme is good

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stylish-2-5-ide-usb-2-0-hdd-enclosure-with-leather-carrying-pouch-black-37168

if you are on a budget €1.16 inc delivey uses the cable on the CD drive in the computer
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-5-to-2-5-hdd-converter-727
    3.5" to 2.5" HDD Converter Price: $1.59 free shipping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Thanks for the expert advice gents. I ordered an IDE > USB 2.0 cable last night from USBGEEK for around $13 delivered (very good IMO).

Question though: I didnt think a USB would have enough power output to manage a HDD...then again my x52pro has 100000 lights on it. Does that sound right?

I also out of interest called into a "computer hospital" earlier and brought an external HDD and the laptop HDD with me. €75 he wanted to charge me for like 5 minutes work!! He then said he would do it for free if he could keep the laptop! I was waiting for him to throw in a gate :rolleyes:

Thank you boards.ie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can (generally) power a laptop HDD on USB power alone; desktop HDD requires a separate power supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Arcto wrote: »
    I also out of interest called into a "computer hospital" earlier and brought an external HDD and the laptop HDD with me. €75 he wanted to charge me for like 5 minutes work!! He then said he would do it for free if he could keep the laptop!

name and shame. thats disgusting. ive had similar people telling my old folks that they had a virus and the WHOLE PC had to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

some laptop ide drives may require external power, you can get usb to 2.5 ide kits with a 5v port ,which takes a 5v cable ,to give extra power to the drive.AND theres units with 2 usb to ide, both usb cables plug into the pc, one usb supplys the extra power needed.Your drive may not need the extra power, a simple usb to ide kit may work fine.
    3.5inch ide drive s always need a separate power cable.

Advertisement