Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White mould on new tank

Options
  • 22-02-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

We bought a 190ltr aquarium 3 weeks ago. I let it cycle until the water was suitable. The guys at the fish store tested the water before introducing any fish and it all was ok. We bought 6 neon tetras on Sunday and they seem to be doing really well.
    Today I noticed what looks like a white fluffy fungus attached to the suctions cups for the filter pipes and the heater. This is what it looks like. Picture isn't the best. Any ideas what is causing it?

IMAG0126.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Not sure if the white stuff would be "normal" but I've had plenty of brown bacteria and algae growing on various surfaces in the tank. Good water quality will see it eventually die back, mine is well under control now.

I have taken a slimy white algae of the top of the heater before also, didn't seem to be doing any harm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Not sure if the white stuff would be "normal" but I've had plenty of brown bacteria and algae growing on various surfaces in the tank. Good water quality will see it eventually die back, mine is well under control now.

I have taken a slimy white algae of the top of the heater before also, didn't seem to be doing any harm...

Hopefully its nothing major. I've got a water test kit so will monitor the water and do the usual water changes.

Advertisement