Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Citroen speedo

• 22-02-2011 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭

right, had a bit of a thread fail earlier here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056188011

as you can see the car in question is a 2002 HDi Citroen C5

but in the meantime i've been to look at the car, and as regards the speedo not working :

basically, the needle wouldn't rise. all the other gauges like rpm and fuel etc. work fine.

the odometer is still counting up the miles, so that would mean the feed to the gauges must be ok (?), and when you are driving you can see the needle twitching and hear a ticking from it, so would it be safe to asume that the problem is actually the 'thing' that turns the speedo needle?

google seems to confirm something similar.

so the part, the stepper motor (i think its called) isin't available as a separate part from citroen, they just want around half the price of the car for a new set of gauges that will still need the mileage adjusted.

i've tried all the breakers within reasonable distance and none have a C5 for breaking, so although im sure nobody has a definite answer, does anybody reckon/ know/ have a good hunch that if i were to disassemble an instrument cluster from a different citroen (saxo/ xsara or whatever) is the stepper motor likely to be the same?

dont want to part with the 100 quid ish ballpark to a breaker to find the part is different.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

It maybe worth checking the cogs/gears in the cluster for wear.
    Its like as if the needle is slipping over the gears/cogs.
    i had a mechanic over to me with the same problem on a 02 c5 and when i actuated the speedo it was all over the shop....he was telling me later he adjusted the gears/cogs and this sorted it...:)

As with the light problem i'd be guessing its a fault with coms unit (indicator stalk) or maybe theres is a fault with the bsi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

cheers for that, it seems to tie in nicely to what i've been reading elsewhere. i think i'l take the plunge tomorrow and disassemble them properly and see what can be done so, it sounds promising-ish :pac:. mixed reviews on internet forums everywhere, some people have great success, others not.

as for the lights and warning lamp, i got them sorted, but thanks for the input :D

Advertisement