Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for feedback on my website.

• 23-02-2011 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi all... just looking for feedback, good, bad, whatever! In the process of putting together a website today. So if ye have a sec to take a look and tell me what ye think.. cheers, Rob. :-)

http://www.wix.com/veryspecialguests/robohara

Comments

I like the look of some (indeed many) of the pictures, but I can't contextualise them. I'm not a photographer - I've no talent in the visual arts arena at all - and I like a bit of text or captioning to help me establish a frame of reference for what I'm looking at. Otherwise, all I see is a string of photographs, and after a short while they all start to look a bit "samey" to me. But that's just my opinion based on my way of engaging with websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Beautiful photos, loads very quickly, and simple to navigate. 10/10!

A few minor quibbles:
    - The viewfinder motif is just a little gimmicky
    - When browsing through photos, I really like it when the 'next photo' button does not move. On your site, it moves, depending on the aspect ration of the photo.

So, 1/2 mark deducted ;)

Thanks for sharing it, I enjoyed viewing your photographs, some of which I think are outstanding!

Rgds,
    -FoxT

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

Otherwise, all I see is a string of photographs, and after a short while they all start to look a bit "samey" to me. But that's just my opinion based on my way of engaging with websites.

Thanks for the insight.. that's very helpfull tbh, a website being engaging is one of the most important factors so this is very usefull.

FoxT wrote: »
    - The viewfinder motif is just a little gimmicky
    -FoxT

Cheers for the feedback much appreciated..

So 9.5 out of 10.. not bad! Just wondering what your referring too when you say the viewfinder motif.. I want to eradicate all gimmicks! Oh and I agree re the next button, something to work on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd suggest that you buy a wix premium account( So you can use your own domain ) and then get a .com or .ie domain.

Also, flash is alright, But a majority of mobile browsers are using HTML5 they won't be able to view your site at all (unless they have mobile flash!) so you should probably have an option for mobile users if you're serious about getting your site to as many people as possible. Saying that only about 15% of my hits are from mobile browsers so now a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Hi,
    I cannot view your site on my iPad or iPhone.
    As above, you should maybe consider a non flash alternative.
    Would like to have a look as developing a site myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wexfordian01

The site suits the photos beautifully.
    The dark colors and the dark photo's go very well together.
    You should get a premium account for sure with photographs of that standard

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

What's the point of your website? Are you trying to sell yourself as a photographer? if you are, then you should make that clear on the site.
    What part of the country are you? People like to know where you are physically.
    Definitely get away from the free website business and pay the few quid for a proper one. If you want people to hire you, they won't think too much of you using a freebie website - remember, your competitors aren't!

Other than that, your night shots are really good. I'd get a few more different people in the "People" section and fill in the "About" section ASAP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

One thing I'd say is the title on the top, Using the Capitals for the vowels, in yourname, location etc.

Thank you all for the reply's and feedback... they're very usefull and much appreciated. I'm reconsidering using Flash atall now, people using mobile devices may be in the minority, but it is still a significant portion of the market and likely to grow... I hadn’t even considered this.

Regardless of if I'm moving away from flash or not I will be registering a domain name, the aim of the game is to be professional and taken seriously and a free website does not represent this!

Again thanks for taking the time to offer feedback, varying opinions and fresh eyes are extremely valuable.

Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Did you have a look at clikpic when choosing a site builder? Www.clikpic.com
    This is the one I have chosen for the time being until I have more time to develop my own.
    I find it very customisable so if you have a bit of CSS and HTML knowledge you can build a site unique from others.

• Advertisement

Jimjay wrote: »
    Did you have a look at clikpic when choosing a site builder? Www.clikpic.com
    This is the one I have chosen for the time being until I have more time to develop my own.
    I find it very customisable so if you have a bit of CSS and HTML knowledge you can build a site unique from others.

Haven't looked into clikpic yet no.. there really is a lot of different choices out there! Thanks for the recommendation I'll have a look and see what I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

m-i-m-m- wrote: »
    Thank you all for the reply's and feedback... they're very usefull and much appreciated. I'm reconsidering using Flash atall now, people using mobile devices may be in the minority, but it is still a significant portion of the market and likely to grow... I hadn’t even considered this.

Regardless of if I'm moving away from flash or not I will be registering a domain name, the aim of the game is to be professional and taken seriously and a free website does not represent this!

There are even more reasons to dump Flash. Flash is a super technology for animations, video, streaming, games and presentations, but it is awful for 'regular' website functions, SEO, compatibility, updating and a few other business-critical matters. There are plenty of gallery functions these days which can do most of what Flash can but in a far more effective way. jQuery galleries or slideshows (highslide or lightbox) is what you should consider looking at using.

tricky D wrote: »
    There are even more reasons to dump Flash. Flash is a super technology for animations, video, streaming, games and presentations, but it is awful for 'regular' website functions, SEO, compatibility, updating and a few other business-critical matters. There are plenty of gallery functions these days which can do most of what Flash can but in a far more effective way. jQuery galleries or slideshows (highslide or lightbox) is what you should consider looking at using.

Thank you... think this is the final nail in the coffin of flash so! Very usefull information, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

very nit-picking- the image for mood and night are similar- both nightime. Get another one for mood?

Why not put something/anything in the about page for the time being?

beside that I like it- nice and minimalistic. You have very little text. Which is a personal preference. I prefer to add a bit to some photos- gives them a bit of a story I think. But that's personal preference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

For what its worth...

I really like the website. It has an understated class. BTW your photos are really very good. The site is a great gallery of an artist. It will work as a great reference/portfolio.

Advertisement