Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

simple quick fast tax question

• 23-02-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

basicaly, im going to look at a mazda 6 at the weekend. the tax is out 2months. will i have to pay the backdated tax in arrears even if he hasnt claimed it off the road? i remember some new tax being brought in about claiming cars off the road to decrease the tax dodgers.
    also, the fact that its been out of tax for 2 months, could it point to any problem?
    this be the car: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1875282

Comments

Nope, you'll have to pay from date of purchase, so hold off 'till 1st March if you don't want to pay for Feb :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

sound man! will do if i can, might wait til wednesday afterall :D
    and on the other q bout it potentially hiding something? fsh so surely must be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nope, you'll have to pay from date of purchase, so hold off 'till 1st March if you don't want to pay for Feb :)

He can buy it now, and then declare he wasn't using it in February.

CiniO wrote: »
    He can buy it now, and then declare he wasn't using it in February.
    tried that last time, didnt work

tried that last time, didnt work

What do you mean - didn't work?
    There's nothing that might not work here.
    You just declare car was not used by you in public place, get garda signature, and take it to tax office. That's all. It must work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

same as above, that will work, i did it.

well i must admit i didnt get a garda sig. so if i go to the guards on march 1st and ask them for the form and get them to sign it and then take it to the tax office its as simple as that?

well i must admit i didnt get a garda sig. so if i go to the guards on march 1st and ask them for the form and get them to sign it and then take it to the tax office its as simple as that?

They might not have the form.
    It's just regular RF100A (motor tax renewal form).
    You can get it off motor tax office or you can print it.

Fill in point no 7 and get garda to sign it.

Just remember that's your declaration, and if it's false, then you might have serious problems.

thank you. i will be probably buying the car monday or wednesday so the chances of evidence of me getting caught driving around is slim.
    at 19, looking forward to be getting this car :D

Just something to be aware of, if the Garda is feeling particularly inquisitous on the day you call in he may ask how did you get the car home after buying it, unless the answer is on a flatbed your declaration is then false. Highly unlikely to happen but I wouldn't rule it out.

You will be declaring that since ownership passed to you the car has not been on a public road for the last few days in February and asking a Garda to sign that declaration. Do you really want to chance being questioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

thank you. i will be probably buying the car monday or wednesday so the chances of evidence of me getting caught driving around is slim.
    at 19, looking forward to be getting this car :D

Just buy the car
    Date the change of ownership for next Wednesday/Thursday
    Send it off then
    Job done :D

RoverJames wrote: »
    Just something to be aware of, if the Garda is feeling particularly inquisitous on the day you call in he may ask how did you get the car home after buying it, unless the answer is on a flatbed your declaration is then false. Highly unlikely to happen but I wouldn't rule it out.

You will be declaring that since ownership passed to you the car has not been on a public road for the last few days in February and asking a Garda to sign that declaration. Do you really want to chance being questioned?

No I really do not want to be questioned atal. Seems simple vectra :-) save 50 so will do that

Advertisement