Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pc crashes, but not in safe mode. any help?

• 23-02-2011 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

been doing some work on my pc today, and it seems to have gone wrong.

win 7 x64 installed on a raptor drive, 134gb in size.
    2 x 500gb drives in raid 1 with programs and games installed,
    2 x 2 tb drives for storage.

everything went fine with the installation, and all programs installed. decided to move some files around on my 2tb drives, and it freezes up and reboots.

when win 7 gets back to desktop, no error report. no bluescreen.

boots into safe mode, and files move about fine.

ive gone a few steps back, to the last system restore, and same problem. no change, so i dont think its any software i installed.

nothing changed in my pc in a long time, apart from re-installing windows + software today.

ive now removed all but 2gb of the 8gb ram, and removed the gpu. same problem, but fine in safe mode.

removed the 2tb drives, and the raid setup, same problem.

ive tried all hardware setups i can think of using everything i have.

no ideas!

anyone able to suggest some help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Are there any issues with the drivers for any of your hardware... If it works in safe mode (with basic drivers), then it is unlikely that there is an issue with your hardware...

-Could it be an issue with a Windows "Normal Mode" driver, have you updated all the drivers..
    - Is there some issue with an application running on startup (i.e. an application that doesnt start up in Safe Mode)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

No, nothing is set to start at all. I installed the usual drivers, gpu (latest from ati) etc. Made sure to get the latest drivers, and windows update took care of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

maybe its not a hardware issue, something conflicting with something else, so you've never got the blue screen on it no?

look through your task manager see if you find anything eating cpu or memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sounds annoying alright.. I've had a load of crap issues like this over the years.. drive you nuts.. My next steps:

Firstly, your installation of Windows, was it an upgrade or a clean install?

1. Look in MSCONFIG to see what is running on startup.. Also look through the Services tab while you're in it and check there is nothing strange there (this can be difficult, but you can google each service that is set to running to find out what it is).
    2. Check the Virus Scanner. This could be causing the issue as it will be scanning the files as they are being moved. Which one are you using and did the install go okay?
    3. Check the Event Logs to see if there are any related errors reported.

I would also run checks on the hard drive itself and the memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

what make are the 2tb drives? i seem to recall reading about having to update firmware on 2tb drives because they had some problems. for the life of me i cant remember the brand had the fault.

EDIT: its the samsung 2tb f4 drives. thread here.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056160744

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

maybe its not a hardware issue, something conflicting with something else, so you've never got the blue screen on it no?

look through your task manager see if you find anything eating cpu or memory

nothing out of the ordinary in task manager. i make sure to monitor what goes on when i use my pc.
    Sounds annoying alright.. I've had a load of crap issues like this over the years.. drive you nuts.. My next steps:

Firstly, your installation of Windows, was it an upgrade or a clean install?

1. Look in MSCONFIG to see what is running on startup.. Also look through the Services tab while you're in it and check there is nothing strange there (this can be difficult, but you can google each service that is set to running to find out what it is).
    2. Check the Virus Scanner. This could be causing the issue as it will be scanning the files as they are being moved. Which one are you using and did the install go okay?
    3. Check the Event Logs to see if there are any related errors reported.

I would also run checks on the hard drive itself and the memory

clean install, even sanatised the disk before i installed the OS.
    msconfig is stripped clean apart from my antivirus and malware protection.
    virus scanner isnt the fault as i even removed the antivirus and had the gigabit adapter disabled.
    nothing relating to my problem in the event log either :/
    Tea_Bag wrote: »
    what make are the 2tb drives? i seem to recall reading about having to update firmware on 2tb drives because they had some problems. for the life of me i cant remember the brand had the fault.

EDIT: its the samsung 2tb f4 drives. thread here.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056160744

my drives are hitachi. sadly that fix does not relate to my problem.

on good news, i think i might have solved it. last night, when doing a complete hardware strip i noticed one of my fans was not running.
    this was the fan cooling all the harddrives.... :(
    speccy told me the drives were over 50*C. i quickly removed them from the pc, let them cool down, and ran the cables out to them on the desk.
    pc is working fine since then....

so i replaced the fan with a new one, and its back to normal. however, the drives are still over 40*C with the fan running. i took them back out, and put 2 x 120mm fans on low speed blowing air on them with them seperated by 2" styrofome blocks in a tower shape. drives are all under 20*C now.
    so i think ill build a small housing for the drives, and run some long sata cables i bought a while back to the external drive housing with some fans mounted to cool them...

looks like i was slowly cooking my pc to death!

well, thats what i get for cramming 6 drives, a gpu, watercooling, power supply, mobo and ram + cables into a lanbox!

Advertisement