Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmm

Options
  • 23-02-2011 1:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Interesting to note how quiet the GAAW are considering all that has gone on in the Middle East/Africa as of late, I was waiting on Niall and Co to be screaming from the roof tops at the thought of people being attacked by their own Militaries but not a word..Amazing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lack of UK and American involvement perhaps......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

mikom wrote: »
    Lack of UK and American involvement perhaps......

True but The UK has the Type22 Frigate HMS Cumberland enroute..

35BB30055C0845B28AB68E218F5563CE-0000336624-0002184155-00585L-B6817E73EDF242EBB1E10AAD371FC67E.jpg

I know she is going to assist in sending UK Persons home as we are sending our own Irish Air Corps along to get Irish people out as is the German Luftwaffe in assisting their own people home but you do not send a Type22 Frigate unless you really want to send a message considering the UK is also sending a charter Aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Very different situation to an invasion of a country... really don't see why you feel the need to start another thread about the GAAW, you don't like them, we get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why would they protest protests?

Why would they protest protests?

They should be out about The Regimes..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Predalien wrote: »
    Very different situation to an invasion of a country... really don't see why you feel the need to start another thread about the GAAW, you don't like them, we get it.

+1

Steyr, we know you're an Aerosexual.
    We know your Dad was involved in the Salthill Airshow.
    We know you like to take pics of planes.
    You like Aviation.

We get it.

But an illegal invasion of a country is very different to a civil revolution.

Kraggy thats all fine but it is just they are very selective about who they pick their fights with, they didnt even blink when a Russian Naval Fleet was off our west coast sometime back that pretty much harassed anything that went by it from Russia downwards.

They also didnt shout when Russia attacked Georgia sometime back either considering their name is Alliance Against War they should be voicing some opinion about what is happening yet they dont and I simply found it interesting that there was nothing to be said even about this brutal Regime now vowing to stay put in Libya and that is actively out murdering its own people with Helicopter Gunships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Suushhh, if they aren't saying anything leave them alone.
    You will only set them off. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Steyr wrote: »
    Kraggy thats all fine but it is just they are very selective about who they pick their fights with, they didnt even blink when a Russian Naval Fleet was off our west coast sometime back that pretty much harassed anything that went by it from Russia downwards.

They also didnt shout when Russia attacked Georgia sometime back either considering their name is Alliance Against War they should be voicing some opinion about what is happening yet they dont and I simply found it interesting that there was nothing to be said even about this brutal Regime now vowing to stay put in Libya and that is actively out murdering its own people with Helicopter Gunships.

Russian navy fleet off our west coast??? :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't it enough that every Airshow thread turns into a "GAAW are bad for protesting" bonanza? Now lack of protesting is also bad?
    Damned if you do and...

But yeah I see your point, I guess GAAW choose their battles. Don't we all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

biko wrote: »
    Isn't it enough that every Airshow thread turns into a "GAAW are bad for protesting" bonanza? Now lack of protesting is also bad?
    Damned if you do and...

But yeah I see your point, I guess GAAW choose their battles to protest. Don't we all?

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Russian navy fleet off our west coast??? :eek::eek::eek:

It was a training trip to the med. They disrupted north sea oil operations by launching their aircraft near the rigs and that sort of thing.
    The worst thing was on the way back while refuelling their carrier they managed to spill 300 tons of oil creating a large slick off the Cork coast.
    Luckily the weather broke it up before it came ashore.

I'm sure they will crawl out from under there rock again when they want to setup another anti US... sorry I mean anti war protest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Whats happening in Africa is a totally different situation, its revolutions against the regimes which the people have chosen to fight against. When countries like Iraq are invaded for oil by the likes of America and Britain the people of Iraq have no say in the matter so it is not a peoples revolution. If the people of any country revolt against their government a reaction is to be expected from the authorities.

If I recall correctly the Russian Navy ship off the coast of Ireland was not going to war so the GAAW would have no reason to protest it. The situation in Georgia is not the same as the invasion of Iraq either as Georgia was once part of the USSR so it is similar to civil war which is probably the reason why GAAW did not protest strongly against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

GAAW.....you got to laugh really!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

+1

Yes, the use of military aircraft, heavy artillery and heavy machineguns against civilians is completely different to war. Its not as if there is effectively a state of civil war in Libya or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

The situation in Georgia is not the same as the invasion of Iraq either as Georgia was once part of the USSR so it is similar to civil war which is probably the reason why GAAW did not protest strongly against it.

I found this laughable. Last time i checked Georgia was a soverign state.

Back to the point of the thread GAAW are very selective in their protesting but the less i hear from them the spouting their BS the happier i am.

fergpie wrote: »
    I found this laughable. Last time i checked Georgia was a soverign state.

Back to the point of the thread GAAW are very selective in their protesting but the less i hear from them the spouting their BS the happier i am.

I have nothing to do with GAAW and I don't know anyone involved but I was just trying to come up with a reason for their selective approach. Fair enough it is a sovereign state but the conflict is ongoing since the collapse of the USSR which makes it entirely different to to what the GAAW protest.

I can never understand why there is such hatred for people who oppose war, do the begrudgers like war or something. GAAW may not always be right but at least they are out there trying to make a difference by peacefully protesting against something they disagree with. They are not opposing war because it is a fun thing to do, they are opposing war because they believe it is the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I have nothing to do with GAAW and I don't know anyone involved but I was just trying to come up with a reason for their selective approach. Fair enough it is a sovereign state but the conflict is ongoing since the collapse of the USSR which makes it entirely different to to what the GAAW protest.

I can never understand why there is such hatred for people who oppose war, do the begrudgers like war or something. GAAW may not always be right but at least they are out there trying to make a difference by peacefully protesting against something they disagree with. They are not opposing war because it is a fun thing to do, they are opposing war because they believe it is the right thing to do.

I think most of the vitriol aimed at the GAAW is because they unashamedly use opposition to war as a flimsy cover for opposition to other things.

• Advertisement

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I think most of the vitriol aimed at the GAAW is because they unashamedly use opposition to war as a flimsy cover for opposition to other things.

Like what? Honestly the only thing I can think of that upsets people is the fact that they oppose war planes in the airshow which they havn't been very successful with. As far as I'm aware the airshow wasn't stopped because of them it was a funding issue with the local council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Point of order, Georgia attacked Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Whats happening in Africa is a totally different situation, its revolutions against the regimes which the people have chosen to fight against. When countries like Iraq are invaded for oil by the likes of America and Britain the people of Iraq have no say in the matter so it is not a peoples revolution. If the people of any country revolt against their government a reaction is to be expected from the authorities.

If I recall correctly the Russian Navy ship off the coast of Ireland was not going to war so the GAAW would have no reason to protest it. The situation in Georgia is not the same as the invasion of Iraq either as Georgia was once part of the USSR so it is similar to civil war which is probably the reason why GAAW did not protest strongly against it.

Were any planes on display in the air show actually on their way to any war?

Firstly this has nothing to do with the Airshow, secondly they are selective in their protests.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Were any planes on display in the air show actually on their way to any war?

When an Aircraft from ANY nation is selected to do an Airshow anywhere in the World it comes from a dedicated unit of that Squadrom/Air arm whatever that would be allocated nothing to do for the whole year but Display at Airshows wherever they are put, now back on topic they are selective.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MARTINOZ

The problem with GAAW is that they don't oppose every war. They oppose any war that may involve the US, England and Israel only. They weren't jumping up and down when Saddam was massacring Kurds in Iraq. They don't care if Israelis are killed by Palestinians. Where are they now when Gadaffi is slaughtering his own countrymen? When did they ever have a rally against Mugabe?

I am in no way condoning the actions of the US, England or Israel in any of this, but I think if you are going to call yourself an alliance against war, you need to be opposed to every war, and not just ones that suit your agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

When an Aircraft from ANY nation is selected to do an Airshow anywhere in the World it comes from a dedicated unit of that Squadrom/Air arm whatever that would be allocated nothing to do for the whole year but Display at Airshows wherever they are put, now back on topic they are selective.

Of course they are selective, any organisation like that has to be. And in fairness Libya or Russia don't move troops through Shannon airport or have their military aircraft on display at the airshow.

They feel a need to protest against the illegal invasion of a country, so what? You may not like it but the point is they have every right to do so. A protest against one injustice does not oblige those involved to protest against every injustice in the world... your point is that they are selective? Is that all?

Of course they are selective, any organisation like that has to be. And in fairness Libya or Russia don't move troops through Shannon airport or have their military aircraft on display at the airshow.

They feel a need to protest against the illegal invasion of a country, so what? You may not like it but the point is they have every right to do so. A protest against one injustice does not oblige those involved to protest against every injustice in the world... your point is that they are selective? Is that all?

The point is in reality they hate america and what they are actually doing is protesting against the US not against war, it doesn't matter if the US is right or wrong they just want to complain and moan with their twisted views of a country that most Irish people look on as a good friend. I have absolutely no problem with planes refueling in shannon and I love looking at the amazing aircraft at the airshow for instance, I do however have a problem with the protester who vandalised a plane at shannon airport, I don't know if that person was GAAAAAWWW but thats the sort of thing they would agree with.

When are there protesting at the airshow they annoying everyone and make a fool of our city in front of visitors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

They are all out canvasing for O Brolochan (another lost cause!!!! ) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

When Gadaffi slaughters his own people, he's not doing it in my name.

When US troops fly through Shannon to kill people in Iraq or Afghanistan, they are.

Irish neutrality is a sham because our Government allows the US to do as they please. The last time I was in Shannon, I was disgusted by how many US troops there were in the place. This doesn't even seem to be an issue any more.

I do agree that GAAW are selective about who they target.

But war crimes committed by the Israelis, Bush, Blair, etc. are done with the complicity of the Irish Government. The reason why I'm pro-Palestinian and anti-Zionist Israeli is because the Israelis have invaded, colonised, and terrorised the poor people of Gaza and the West Bank. It's not a 'war' between equals, but I guess Irish history of being colonised doesn't count any more. Our country should be ashamed of its foreign policy, just as we're ashamed of the politicians, bankers, and developers who wrecked our economy.

Advertisement