Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmm

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Predalien wrote: »
    And in fairness Libya or Russia don't move troops through Shannon airport

They used to.

celty wrote: »
    Irish neutrality is a sham because our Government allows the US to do as they please. The last time I was in Shannon, I was disgusted by how many US troops there were in the place. This doesn't even seem to be an issue any more.

You do realise that keeping the US happy is extremely important to the Irish economy, we annoy the US and they could change their policy very quickly on taxing the likes of Intel, boston scientific etc etc, they could then pull out and the country would really be in a mess then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You do realise that keeping the US happy is extremely important to the Irish economy, we annoy the US and they could change their policy very quickly on taxing the likes of Intel, boston scientific etc etc, they could then pull out and the country would really be in a mess then.

I get your point, but the two countries are SO interconnected socially that it would be impossible to 'piss them off' to an extent where there's some kind of an economic 'boycott' to Ireland. Pissing off the Irish American population itself is something the US would never want to do either, and boycotting or punishing the 'motherland' would at best divide them. We're never likely to go to war with them (ha ha) but once we keep doling out the tax incentives, and have a higher than average general edu standard, and have English speaking workers, then I don't see them budging on that. It IS about money after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Yeah, I also realise that the Irish have long since sold out our principles. Time was when new democracies and former colonies used to look up to the Irish. Now they see us as just another part of the Western world.

If your friend was a child abuser or a rapist, would you make sure not to annoy or anger them because you need their financial support? A good 'friend' would question appalling behaviour, not just be a slave to his or her bigger and richer friend.

And, erm ... we really are in a financial mess already.

So when are we having the first meeting of GAAGAAW? (Galway Alliance Against the Galway Alliance Against War)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Steyr wrote: »
    They used to.

Have Libya ever moved troops through Shannon? Yeah Russia did, past tense, they don't anymore. US troops still do, on their way to and from a war which under international law is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So when are we having the first meeting of GAAGAAW? (Galway Alliance Against the Galway Alliance Against War)
    There has to be a protest you can protest sometime soon.

biko wrote: »
    There has to be a protest you can protest sometime soon.

We should have an "Everything is Fine!" protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

We should have an "Everything is Fine!" protest.

GAFEIG

"Galway Alliance For Everything Is Grand"

Sign me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

z3tbe9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Nice pic, Biko,

Unfortunately, the People Before Profit party (aka Fianna Fail) is not having a good day!

Advertisement