Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck convoys in the middle of the night !!!

Options
  • 23-02-2011 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days I have seen convoys of Trucks most nights after midnight with 10-15 oversized trucks all with flashing Amber lights, travelling west on the N5 towards Swinford. They are very long and sound like they are very heavy due to the sound that the Truck engines are making.

Can anybody identify them, cause I need to complain the bloody things are waking me up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Buy some earplugs, it'll be less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I work as a taxi driver at night and regularly see trucks out and about on the roads. It probably makes sense for them to work these hours as its easier for them to get around to their various delivery stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Shell or the new Hollister building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Cowen's take out delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Cowen's take out delivery

that makes sense, extra large trucks for extra large FF egos

Steph1, the thing is that these are all oversized with flashing lights, more likely for a major construction job, but is Corrib still using large amounts of equipment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Not sure now about that but I have regularly seen big trucks out on the Sligo road as well as the Foxford road at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

mayotom wrote: »
    that makes sense, extra large trucks for extra large FF egos

Steph1, the thing is that these are all oversized with flashing lights, more likely for a major construction job, but is Corrib still using large amounts of equipment

well there's nothing that would warrant these kinds of truck convoys happening in ballinaboy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

More than likly a wind farm? the only port on the west coast that can take the ships is Killybegs so they have to truck it down.

Is there a wind farm being build?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I saw similar trucks up here in Lucan Bypass with bits of Wind generators on them. These things are huge when seen flat on the back of a low loader......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

artyeva wrote: »
    well there's nothing that would warrant these kinds of truck convoys happening in ballinaboy these days.

There are v large tunnel boring machines and other equipment associated with tunnelling and heavy excavation being moved to the corrib gas works I believe.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    There are v large tunnel boring machines and other equipment associated with tunnelling and heavy excavation being moved to the corrib gas works I believe.

no, they haven't arrived yet. there's just a few diggers dumpers and portacabins yet but they've all been sourced locally.

the big stuff won't be too much longer though :(

no, they haven't arrived yet. there's just a few diggers dumpers and portacabins yet but they've all been sourced locally.

how big is this tunnel?

i thought it was for a pipe not something as big as dublin port tunnel.

the TBM surely wont be that big.

irishgeo wrote: »
    how big is this tunnel?

i thought it was for a pipe not something as big as dublin port tunnel.

the TBM surely wont be that big.

it'll be about 4 metres in diameter and a little over 5km in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely you meant to a put a :D at the end of your post.

mickdw wrote: »
    Surely you meant to a put a :D at the end of your post.

nope. :( it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

The holster plant in Ballina is getting doubled in size. Probably machines being brought to the plant.

The holster plant in Ballina is getting double in size. Probably machines being brought to the plant.

its only at the construction phase yet. they are hardly putting machines into a construction site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

its only at the construction phase yet. they are hardly putting machines into a construction site.

You never know and its a good way along.

You never know and its a good way along.

possibly, the machines might be too big to put in when its fully complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

possibly, the machines might be too big to put in when its fully complete.

Some of the machinery is going in already, but no big units, that has only been arriving recently, so not the trucks I was seeing a few months ago. It must have been the wind turbines.

Advertisement