Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musicman copy / split coil humbucker

• 23-02-2011 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi all , I recently put a deposit down on a Vintage EST96 ( musicman copy ).
    Its a great sounding bass . There's one or two mods im curious about carrying out .

Can the humbucker be coil tapped or do I need to get an upgraded pick-up?A mate mentioned something about the amount of wires the pick up has .
    Would I need to change the tone circuit along with that ?

Its an active bass , can a switch be installed so I can go from active to passive ?
    If yes to both could both the switches be in the form of those pots that pop in and out , the pull/ push type ?

I tried out a cort bass ( gb 34a , gb 74a ) and on the gb 34 the volume knob popped up which switched it from passive to active and on the gb 74 it had a switch splitting the coil on the humbucker . I just thought they were pretty cool especially the volume pot which popped up and down .

Is there a way of finding this stuff out without taking my new bass apart !!
    EST96SSB.jpg
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EST96SSB
    Sunburst
    £319.00
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    LEST96SBA.jpg
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LEST96SBA
    Sunburst L/H
    £319.00
    [/FONT]
    EST96BA.jpg
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EST96BA
    Black
    £319.00
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vintage®EST96ActiveSeries[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    Body:
    Eastern Poplar
    Top:
    Flame Maple (AF)
    Neck:
    Maple – Bolt On
    Fingerboard:
    Maple
    Scale:
    34”/864mm
    Frets:
    Neck Inlays:
    Black Dot
    Tuners:
    Wilkinson® WJBL200
    Bridge:
    Adjustable
    Pickups:
    Wilkinson® Humbucker x 1 (B) WSM4 – 4 string
    (B) WSM5 – 5 string
    Hardware:
    Chrome
    Controls:
    3-Band Active EQBass 12dB ± 5kHz / Middle 12dB ± 2kHz / Treble 12dB ± 100Hz 1 x Volume
    [/FONT]
    est96_05pup.jpg
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]EST96 Pick Up
    The substantial-looking Wilkinson® WSM4 bass guitar pickup offers equally substantial bass sounds. Large diameter polepieces arranged in humcancelling double coil format offer the bassist a meaty range of solid bass tones.
    [/FONT]

Theres a picture and some specs if its any use .

Any advice is much appreciated , cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Gavin Wheeler

Dont know why the pictures came out on top of each other like that !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I couldn't find any info online about how many wires its got. Basically if it only got 2 or 3 wires coming from the pickup its probably not worth it. If its got 4 or 5 its got a much better chance although it might not be easy depending on the active setup. Its very easy to check, you just need to take off the plate but I guess since you dont own the bass yet its not straightforward.

Cheers for the reply , I didnt realise that it being active it woould make it more difficult .
    How about the idea of putting an active switch in , would that be ossible ?

Do you know of any websites for parts like tone pots / pick us / tone circuits etc . I'm interested in doing a bit of geeking out on this stuff .

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

It might be possible, again youd need a look inside. Theres plenty of sites to look at, seymour duncans wouldnt be the worst. You can find out stuff on talkbass. Also http://www.guitarelectronics.com/ . Ah theres loads, get your google on :D

Cheers man , Checked out and e-mailed guitar electronics . Its a seriously comprehensive website ! I also e-mailed all the pick up makers I could find plus a bunch of shops and luthiers . Joined talkbass or some bass forum like that . Guitarfetish.com had two pick ups which might suit , at a good price too . The aul internet machine has its moments ;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

Looking at pictures from the internet its a standard dual coil humbucker with 2 wires so its more than likely more hastle than its worth, I have a triple coil in the same position as on that bass, coil tapped in one of my basses and to be honest the only different you'd notice is a drop in volume

Cheers for the reply . Thanks for the advice , I was starting to think maybe im getting overexcited at the thought of just having the push / pull pots !!
    Apart from the drop in volume is there no change in tone at all?
    Do ya reckon being able to go from passive/ active would be handy ?
    I know the amp I use at home hates active basses .
    Thanks again -Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

Just not enough of a change to warrent puttin in a coil tap, also might end up with a lot of noise it being just a humbucker, in a triple coil humbucker the 3rd Dummy coil is used to stop the hum when the pickup is tapped where as your'd end up with just a single coil on its own,
    I also have a bass that switched from active to passive the pickus werent suited to passive really and i had them changed

Advertisement