Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject/s you think will stand to you most?

• 23-02-2011 4:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Which LC subjects do ye think are the most important or that will stand to you most when it's all over?

For me it's Maths and Applied Maths, because I want to go into engineering and/or finance and these are big components.

But also, they teach you the most valuable thing, to solve problems. To be creative (in a way).

Business is a very good subject if you try to understand it rather than learn off the book, because it really does give you agood grounding in how the business world of Ireland works.

Any other thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

I'm still deciding between Psychology & Primary School Teaching

If I go for Psychology, , none of my seven subjects (Irish, English, Maths, Business, History, Geography and French) would really stand to me. You could argue for English, but somehow I don't see myself reciting "To be or not to be" too often.

If I went for Primary Teaching though, they'd nearly all stand to me

Money vs Holidays, Money vs Holidays, why can't I decide :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

It depends really i am devided between med and finance...... two polar opposites but:
    If med then Chem, Bio
    If Finance (which at the moment it is) then accounting, economics and maths

But i think English will stand to me two whatever i do , well paper one anyway, paper two is kinda worthless...

Irish i wont speak another word of it. . . . and i kinda hope french would be good for business but we all know that Chinese is the one you need for business! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Definitely English. I want to be a Speech and Language therapist, and that involves writing up lots of reports about your patients etc. Being able to articulate their problems and progress in a clear, concise manner would make my job a lot easier paper-work wise. Also, for projects and assignments in college, I would imagine that being able to string some kind of well-structured sentence together would help in relaying information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Physics because I plan on studying it next year. And Maths too, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Maths, physics and French.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German (only because my grandparents are german):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Maths, German, physics, chemistry and biology. (Yes, it's VERY clear what I want to do with my life!)

I think I'll end up doing general undenominated science if I don't get medicine. And German, 'cause well I wanna be bilingual and live/work on the continent for a while. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Chemistry and physics, as I'm hoping to study them both in college, and what naturally goes with this - maths.
    Also history, it's always good to have a better understanding of where I came from to know where I'm going to go.
    English, because of how it has taught me to express myself, and German because it's the language most Europeans speak.

Everything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'm doing Early Childhood Studies, Biology and English have helped me out, I don't think any others did really. I never expected Biology to help - you'd be surprised how everything ends up tieing in together.

EDIT: And Accouting and Economics are helpful in general, they'rer always things that will come in handy in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

So basically, the subjects related to your college course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Daire10

Geography; it's the only subject that comes up everywhere, no matter where you go. Also German and Irish because its v good to be multilingual and German is one of the most spoken languages worldwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Daire10 wrote: »
    Geography; it's the only subject that comes up everywhere, no matter where you go.

Definitely, i cant think of a day when i didnt need to describe the factors that hindered economic development in the Mezzogiorno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

pbffan wrote: »

If I go for Psychology, , none of my seven subjects (Irish, English, Maths, Business, History, Geography and French) would really stand to me. You could argue for English, but somehow I don't see myself reciting "To be or not to be" too often.

If I went for Primary Teaching though, they'd nearly all stand to me

The answer to all of your problems my friend:

http://www.mic.ul.ie/prospectivestudents/bachelorofedpsych.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

RHunce wrote: »
    The answer to all of your problems my friend:

http://www.mic.ul.ie/prospectivestudents/bachelorofedpsych.htm

I have that down as my #1 actually :)

As the man said though "the points are fiershe high, fiershe" :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aingel

pbffan wrote: »

Apparently its impossible to get a job in psychology in Ireland. You have to go abroad to get a job:confused:. I was all excited about doing it and I was talking to a girl the other night and she says she has two friends who graduated two years ago in it and one of them has a job but its nothing to do with her degree and the other doesnt have a job. Although on the bright side she said its "graaand" if your willing to go abroad.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Maths mostly if I get my place in Computer Games Development through UCAS or if I do it in UL.

But otherwise, Biology as I have a good few biology related courses down too.

Advertisement