Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Piercing-Arm/Wrist

Options
  • 23-02-2011 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Best place to pierce on forearm/wrist?
    I know that if you can pinch it, it can pretty much be pierced but i'm more worried about it easily getting caught etc....

Anyone with one of the forementioned care to share their experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Surface piercings on the wrist are a bit awkward to heal. Becasue there's so much movement in the area and then with putting hands in pockets, bags, wearing long sleeves etc. it can get bumped and knocked around a lot. Go to your piercer and they can tell you the best place for it and give you advise. Make sure they can show you some pics of surface piercings they've done before. Another thing you can do is draw a line where you'd want it and then move your hand/arm in as much ways as possible and see how much it would affect a surface bar there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sG_Turtle

what sort of jewelry would you be looking to wear? rings would have abvious problems, but i guess a barbell/ball could work if it was tight enough against your skin. cant honestly say ive met anyone with a wrist piercing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The only jewelry suitable for surface piercings are surface bars. Anything else and it'll more than likely just reject and leave scars.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I have a wrist piercing, placed about 4-5cm up from where the crease between my hand & arm is (I believe that's the scientific term). I got it done at the end of October 2010, so it's about 4.5 months old now, and I wear a surface bar with a slight bend so it fits under the curve of my arm. I was told it could take up to 6 months to heal. I was doing regular salt soaks for about 3 months, and only do them occasionally now if I feel it could do with some TLC (following the advice of my piercer). I changed the original titanium balls for something a little prettier after 3 months, and this is my favourite piercing at the moment :D

When I went to get it done, well at first there was lots of trying to talk me out of it, but I'm really stubborn & would never have stopped thinking about it until I at least tried :rolleyes: and if it rejected or grew out, I'd still be happier than never having done it. I considered microdermals instead, but in the end went for a surface bar. I figure if I have any serious / urgent trouble, I can unscrew the balls & remove the bar myself. And if it does reject, I can live with some pink scars on my wrist much more easily that I'd have lived with not trying something I really wanted to do.

To start, there was lots of measuring, marking, waving my hand up & down, twisting my arm each way, to pick a point that was in the centre of my arm (along the bone going up to my elbow), still fairly near my wrist, but not too much movement. The piercing itself felt the same as any other surface piercing I guess (I have my nape done too, felt about the same if that's any help). I try not to have clothes rubbing over it too much (don't really like the feel of stuff around my wrists anyway so always seem to have my sleeves pushed up.) It's healing fine, never really had any trouble with it. I think I have quite a bit of scar tissue under the skin though, as it's fairly pink in the area. It's not sore, just pinky. I get it checked about every month & my piercer says it's looking ok, but to make sure to keep coming back regularly. I regularly take multivitamins too so I think this is helping!

I haven't found it to be a big deal with catching on things. I learned VERY quickly to be careful getting dressed etc, and it's automatic now to put my right arm into my clothes kind of up-side-down. I doesn't catch on pockets as it's too far up my arm. I have had a handful of knocks in the last few months that would be completely insignificant if it was just against your arm (like I hit it off the side of the dishwasher); they do hurt but I just learn to be even more careful! Happily this doesn't happen often. I've found that I don't catch it / hit it often, it's other people I need to watch out for, so walking through a bar I'll be very careful to hold my arm up / in, or if you're with someone & they are putting their arms around you etc, they won't be as conscious of it, so just watch out there!

Btw, I have an office job, so it's not a problem for me at work. I don't need to keep it hidden, and it's not the kind of job where anyone will ever put a hand on my arm (like if you were a nurse or similar it really wouldn't be practical!) I reckon if I had to keep it hidden, it wouldn't be healing so well as it'd be irritated by having material over it all the time. Mine is exposed about 99% of the time.

During the snow in Dec / Jan, I had a lot of layers on & it started to lie back slightly. It didn't hurt or anything, and my piercer said it didn't look like it was rejecting (just yet!), so I've been keeping clothes off it as much as I can & hopefully it will continue to heal ok. The last check up he said it was looking much healthier than he expected :cool: so I guess these piercings don't usually last very long!

Anyway, I LOVE mine, get a lot of comments on it (mostly positive, although of course you get a lot of "does that not really really hurt?") and I'm really glad I got it done. Even if it's gone by this time next year, I won't regret it. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Demosthenes

Finally went ahead with this, two piercings, one on either arm...
    Healing quite nicely at the moment so quite happy :D

Used PTFE for the bars, my first time using it....very comfortable to wear and allows for more movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

So jealous! I had to take mine out yesterday as it was rejecting most likely as a result of stress. Damn you stupid job!!! :mad:
    It was my favourite piercing & had a really pretty bar in it. Will see how the skin heals over the next few months; think I'd like to do it again or try microdermals. Just because something doesn't last a long time, doesn't mean it's not worth doing ;)
    Enjoy your new piercing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I had 2 microdermals in my wrist about 2 yeas ago. They looked awesome, but never healed. I had them for about 4 months, then the bottom one rejected, followed s few weeks later by the top one! I dont think I'd ever get dermal's again, the rejection rate is just too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Finally went ahead with this, two piercings, one on either arm...
    Healing quite nicely at the moment so quite happy :D

Used PTFE for the bars, my first time using it....very comfortable to wear and allows for more movement.

Glad it went well.

I had one put in to the back of my right forearm - near the elbow. A bit of swelling caused an inflammation around the nerve (radial) and I had to take it out - excruciating. My favourite piercing but my most unsuccessful.

Advertisement