Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I softmod my wii?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 6:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

I have a launch date nintendo wii and am looking to mod it.
    I never would of tackled it myself until i heard of the soft mod going about. I looked at the FAq on here and all i seem to have is an SD card.

But .. i cant seem to find a tutorial out there on how to do so?
    can anyone link me to one? if its not against forums rules.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

hi, your best bet is to be on/get on firmware 4.0 - 4.2, then you want to use the BannerBomb hack !! any other firmwares require special game save hacks and you will need the games also !!

ill p,m you the link for a wicked info site, we used post it before, but not allowed anymore !

yup all you need is a memo card, youll install whats called the HomeBrew Channel (hbc) this is your launch pad for installing all sorts of goodies :) be sure to install BootMii as soon as youve hbc installed, and make a copy of your nand to your memo card and copy it on pc or somewhere safe, this is your brick protection, and in the unlikely case of mess ups in the future, you will always be able return to this safe state by reinstalling it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rocksolid

iPwnage wrote: »
    hi, your best bet is to be on/get on firmware 4.0 - 4.2, then you want to use the BannerBomb hack !! any other firmwares require special game save hacks and you will need the games also !!

ill p,m you the link for a wicked info site, we used post it before, but not allowed anymore !

yup all you need is a memo card, youll install whats called the HomeBrew Channel (hbc) this is your launch pad for installing all sorts of goodies :) be sure to install BootMii as soon as youve hbc installed, and make a copy of your nand to your memo card and copy it on pc or somewhere safe, this is your brick protection, and in the unlikely case of mess ups in the future, you will always be able return to this safe state by reinstalling it !!

Maybe you would pm me the link to that site too if you wouldnt mind?? Bin searching a for good walk through site for a while now.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

iPwnage wrote: »

We can't link to it because of:
    CHARTER wrote:
    DO NOT POST ANYTHING IN RELATION TO BACKING UP/RIPPING GAMES. THIS INCLUDES WHERE/HOW OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION RELATED TO DOWNLOADING GAMES
    DO NOT LINK TO SITES THAT HAVE INFORMATION ON THE ABOVE.

So whoever allowed it in the past, obviously didn't read that the way I do.

:rolleyes:
    ya i know :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Thanks Ipawnage.

Oh for the record my wii already has a cyclowiz chip in it from 2007. Some guy put it in for me. Stupid chip stopped working in 2008. Havent really played the wii since.

Since this chip is no longer working, it shouldnt stop the soft mod process, right?

• Advertisement

no problem,
    no wont have any bearing on it, mine has a redundant wiiKey1 in it also ! dont think it was ever used !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i should prob do this too. got a launch wii, and a copy of twilight to hand. PM me a guide?

zuroph wrote: »
    i should prob do this too. got a launch wii, and a copy of twilight to hand. PM me a guide?

Go to wiibrew.org & search for bannerbomb.

ugh. got all geared up to do this. fired er up for the first time in ages 3.4e

went to where my SD cards are.. not there. I've somehow misplaced ALL of them. :(

ugh. got all geared up to do this. fired er up for the first time in ages 3.4e

went to where my SD cards are.. not there. I've somehow misplaced ALL of them. :(

Lol, exactly the kind of cr@p that happens me :mad:

Count yourself lucky it's not the other way around (4.3E!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Hey guys,
    just checked my wii firmware. Its at 4.1

so that means I dont need any game (Indiana Jones etc) to softmod my wii, right? .. So I just get the bannerbomb hack and im good to go? (:( sorry if thats a stupid question, just rather have all the info before doing it you know)

yup,
    BannerBomb V2 you want

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

Go over to wiihacks.com and in tut section there are numerous guides to softmodding the wii, i used the one by authour messie and it was pretty easy to follow and has been updated regularly.

hey guys,
    having problems softmodding my wii.

I installed Bootmii and the homebrew channel without any problems. Then the tutorial I read said to install IOS236. But... it keeps saying failed to do so.

Any ideas of what I should do?

**edit* i am using bannerbomb v2

whatsamsn wrote: »
    hey guys,
    having problems softmodding my wii.

I installed Bootmii and the homebrew channel without any problems. Then the tutorial I read said to install IOS236. But... it keeps saying failed to do so.

Any ideas of what I should do?

**edit* i am using bannerbomb v2
    have you the wii connected to the net ? wired/wireless

you can install pimp my wii .wad file, and install it via wad manager, it'll download & install all the patches and ios's you need, be sure your nand is backed up, incase, you should be fine tho

I feel like a total fool right now :(

so i am meant to have to wii hooked up to the net while i install IOS236?

whatsamsn wrote: »
    I feel like a total fool right now :(

so i am meant to have to wii hooked up to the net while i install IOS236?

Depending on the installer you use, they can pull files off the net or you can install them locally via usb/sd etc. But you'll need to actually have the file for it to be installed, or indeed, let it go online to get it.

found a 1gb SD card!! woo! that enough space?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Depending on the installer you use, they can pull files off the net or you can install them locally via usb/sd etc. But you'll need to actually have the file for it to be installed, or indeed, let it go online to get it.

well thats what I did.
    I put the private folder of bannerbomb on the SD card along with bootmii, installed fine.

then when it comes to the next step. this is where things arent working (and to be honest im lost on :P ) the tutorial said to put ios236 on the sd card and run through the homebrew channel. Which I did. But it keeps failing.

Am I doing something stupid and leaving a critical something out? :P
    Do I have to have the wii plugged to the net while i try to install ios236?

(total noob here guys :P )

was doing a little research on this.

seems if you were on 4.2 update before putting in the bannerbomb hack (which i was) then you have to install the "restore the Trucha Bug" thing.

which was the next part of the tutorial i was looking out last night doing my wii... which didnt work for me.

so can anyone suggest what i do next to get it working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭JavaBeans

Use pimp my wii as said earlier, it'll sort trucha and everything you need, ... Do it connected to the net so it can grab the files it needs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If you google the words "simplistic" and "mod"

you might find something interesting

Unfortunately due to some of the interesting things we might find, you can not link to these interesting things.

Loads. If you get in to bother give me a shout, but it really can be a really simplistic mod using the right guide :pac:

loads, the hack itself is tiny, 3/4 mb
    you need at least 500mb to copy your nand to memo car, then to pc/storage for safe keeping,
    other then that, you wont use the card for much only transferring wad files from pc to wii's hbc ...etc,

right did it last night. hit a few issues along the way, but getting there now. All the homebrew you add is saved to the SD card right? also, couldnt get the wiiload file transfer thing to work, so have been taking out the card to top it up. whats a must install? Have already done the nand copy, installed media centre, and the snes, atari XL and N64 emulators. I tried the update to IOS58 using tantrics installer, and was frustrated trying to get it to load, took me ages before I read somewhere that you have to reinstall HBC afterwards, they REALLY should make that clearer :o

im still not exactly understanding WAD, what do i use it for, what does it do, and whats are WADs? I've been using HBbrowser to grab stuff so far.

right did it last night. hit a few issues along the way, but getting there now. All the homebrew you add is saved to the SD card right? also, couldnt get the wiiload file transfer thing to work, so have been taking out the card to top it up. whats a must install? Have already done the nand copy, installed media centre, and the snes, atari XL and N64 emulators. I tried the update to IOS58 using tantrics installer, and was frustrated trying to get it to load, took me ages before I read somewhere that you have to reinstall HBC afterwards, they REALLY should make that clearer :o

im still not exactly understanding WAD, what do i use it for, what does it do, and whats are WADs? I've been using HBbrowser to grab stuff so far.

A wad is like a programme or application that the Wii can read/identify. Typically they're installed with a WAD Manager etc. Homebrew Browser is a cracking little app, lets you browse & select all the different emus etc from the Wii, pick what you want & download/installs it automatically.

Get yourself a cheap USB hdd, & get something like USB Loader GX to go with it.

EnterNow wrote: »
    A wad is like a programme or application that the Wii can read/identify. Typically they're installed with a WAD Manager etc. Homebrew Browser is a cracking little app, lets you browse & select all the different emus etc from the Wii, pick what you want & download/installs it automatically.

Get yourself a cheap USB hdd, & get something like USB Loader GX to go with it.
    is there a difference between what I'd install with Wad manager, and what i'd just pull from HBbrowser? Not entirely sure what to add next. except a classic controller or GC controller for the emulators.

EDIT: from preliminary googles, Im aware some of the WAD conversation could be against charter?

is there a difference between what I'd install with Wad manager, and what i'd just pull from HBbrowser? Not entirely sure what to add next. except a classic controller or GC controller for the emulators.

EDIT: from preliminary googles, Im aware some of the WAD conversation could be against charter?

Well WAD's can be anything from my understanding, from emulators to backup managers etc. As long as it's kept vague I don't see anything breaching the charter. We don't really need to know what the wad's are, just advice on installing them etc. Or maybe I'm wrong lol, but I've installed wad's of channels etc without nefarious purposes before.

The wad's & what you get with HBbrowser would be the same thing, it just automates the process, downloads it through your Wii & installs it correctly.

indeed, think of a wad as a self extracting and installing application, like an .exe or linux .deb, nothing "illegal" about wad itself !! its just a file format, like .png or jpeg :D

Got my wii working :D
    Got to say thanks to iPwnage for helping me out :) Appreciate it man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭newtothis

I have used bannerbomb to mod my wii and then used modmii to do a friends and modmii was very simple to use.

Advertisement