Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I softmod my wii?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigmoma22

Hi

i've softmodded one ages ago was pretty easy, finally scratched discs make me think it's time to do it on my own. However I have no internet connection on wii haven't been able to get it up and running with current router so no updates and still on 3.4
    Can someone recommend a guide to use and tell me what problems I might be facing without internet on wii. I really do not feel i need it as never play online nor use it to shop or browse.
    I would like to backup all games on a USB stick to use with the wii. Also, when I soft modded a wii long long ago I used a mini card from a mobile phone. That seems to be a problem these days OR?

Can I bypass no internet for wii and get updates through pc then load onto wii? IF so, how exactly?

NO INTERNET means no updates to system OR to homebrew channel, right?

Reading a guide for older not updated wii s by Dogeggs and section worries me : "Go to Homebrew channel and run Trucha Bug Restorer, load IOS36, press 1, read the warnings then select 'downgrade IOS15', Many people say NOT TO EVER DOWNGRADE! So what's your advice guys?

Thanx a mill for patience and your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hangover

I updated the softmod on my wii a few months ago as i couldnt get Metroid other M to work, mine was on 4.3 so i left it on 4.3 and just updated the cios's etc.
    Go over to wiihacks.com and just follow the guide for your firmware version, you can do it without net connection but you will need to keep changing the files on an SD card instead of downloading off the net.
    Any particular reason why you cant get the wii to connect to the router ? , should be straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

any chance the router has mac address filtering enabled ? this will prevent wii connecting unless its added to a white list in the router...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

bigmoma22 wrote: »
    Google modmii is the easiest guide to follow and Wii does not need to be online to do it. If your stuck pm me I'll help or do it for you I'd advise using a usb loader no more disc's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Wiihacks gotta guide:softmod any wii. All info is there on different versions and possible errors and solutions. It's the easiest guide I've seen and covers all. Google "guide:softmod any wii" & the wiihacks one :p

You'll need the net on computer to get the files, but guess thats true for all of them. I think you are thinkin of the homebrew browser when your mentioning that you need the internet too btw. I've done a couple when they weren't setup for my router.

Also has to be a SD card, notta SDHC. Dunno if can use a micro in a adapter but SD card only bout £10 in Argos & I keep it in the wii for the apps. Some set them up to run off a hard drive, but means gotta have it on every time the wii is on to run a program. Used to use the media player to watch stuff over the network so keepin it on card was handier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigmoma22

Hi all thanx for replies.

re internet n wii
    Long ago when got wii tried net, no sucess, been to different forums etc no joy. I can install reinstall windows on pc, partition it etc so not that unsavvy but this was just too much trouble for not much. Laptops any make connect to router no probs, tried putting wii in front of it and it kept coming back as if there was no network, not important now...

@ dogtoffee

might take u up on dat offr!!! Got a bit of a scare as guide seems to be much more complicated now plus mention of downgrading OS which is super scary to me, plus somewhere read you need to eventually update to 4.2, but if its all possible via pc w sd card, happy days!!!

@berns
    Was thinking of borrowing SD as I will be using USB loader dedicated to wii, can I do without SD, once its hacked? Might get one eventually...

Thanx all again!

PS wont be doing it till next weekend, will bother you som more den!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

I beleive once its all done, you can copy the folders over till the hard drive and run the app's from there.

Not 100% on how do it, think needa file and set it up with priiloader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

bigmoma22 wrote: »
    Hi all thanx for replies.

@ dogtoffee
    when doing mod make sure you back nand and store it somewhere safe, Priiloader is a must if you can't install bootmii as boot 2. I have mine on 4.2 but 4.1 is grand also.

I have a few tut's on DW not sure if I can post links to them on here but drop me a pm if you need help.

Advertisement