Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

159 JTDm experience?

• 23-02-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

Anyone here running or have experience of running an Alfa 159 1.9 Diesel.
    Currently in the market for a 4 door saloon and spotted a couple of these going in my price range (06-08).

I'm well aware of alfa's reputation for poor reliability and expensive repairs so don't need to be told about that;)

What I'd like to hear is real world ownership experience, particurlary around EGR valves, fly wheel failures, poor mpg figures, swirl flaps being ingested by the engine, turbo failures (I think writing this down has already convinced me it's a bad idea).

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Had this engine in my old Vectra Sri. Great power and very frugal...was getting 1100kms from a tank However the swirl valve issue started to appear around the 100k klms mark. Its caused by a poor EGR valve design which causes fouling of the swirl valves. Think this issue was sorted out in 06 by simply alterneating the design to stop the fouling. Might be worth checking that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

STForSale wrote: »
    Anyone here running or have experience of running an Alfa 159 1.9 Diesel.
    Currently in the market for a 4 door saloon and spotted a couple of these going in my price range (06-08).

I'm well aware of alfa's reputation for poor reliability and expensive repairs so don't need to be told about that;)

What I'd like to hear is real world ownership experience, particurlary around EGR valves, fly wheel failures, poor mpg figures, swirl flaps being ingested by the engine, turbo failures (I think writing this down has already convinced me it's a bad idea).

Thanks guys.

Tbh, you're reading Too Much Internet.

For equally negative commentary, you could type 'Passat Engine Problems', 'Mazda Diesel problems' or 'BMW 320D probelms' or any other you like, and you'll find no shortage of commentary. And most of the problems they have seem - seem - to be bigger and more frequent.

I haven't had an Alfa for a long time - I had one when they were actually acknowledged as bad (late '80's), but they haven't produced anything any worse than anyone else for a long time.

With regards to the engine in particular, the JTD/m engine is widely acknowledged as being very, very good. It is used in all Fiat/Alfa's, but also all GM diesel's as well -including Saab - there there is a huge number of them out there. In my experience it is smoother, quieter and more reliable than the B6 Passat outside my window.
    Don't forget it is Fiat who pioneered common rail, and in the commercial world, their diesels are very highly regarded. We have them here at work in: Artic truck, Generator Set, Crane.

Now, I have a 2006 Saab 9-3, which is the same engine: 150bhp 16v.

We have had, in 70k kms inside 2.5 years, the following:
    3 x Regular Service (around €180)
    1 x Timing Belt (€450)
    1 x recon alternator at 131k kms (€120 iirc)

Recently we had a loss of power, and it turned out to be the EGR valve that was coked up with carbon. Being a Sunday, and it being particularly easy to do (it's right at the top of the engine), it took me 1 hour to remove, disassemble, and clean. No money spent to do so. Full power restored.

Have a look here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056152653

The cause is that yet to plague all those lovely 1.x small, post Jan 1 2008 diesels, and soon to be in a workshop near you...........low speed/city driving. Modern diesels, with CR and DPF etc etc, are, imho, going to be the subject of conversation for years to come, as these vehicles get older. If your car will have a mix of driving, including long runs etc, then it will be mitigated.

I too have wondered about the swirl flaps, but no sign of anything wrong yet, and if it does, based on previous Mazda diesel and Passat diesel issues and BMW320d issues, then the costs of fixing the Saab are less than fixing the either the Mazda, Passat or BMW. YMMV and all that. The Passat outside has had, in the last 12 month's, 2 x injector repairs, at a cost of €800 a go. It is the same age, and has the same mileage (give/take) as our Saab, and it uses more oil, it has also had a new DMF. Is the Passat a bad car ? Dunno, that sort of thing seems to be de-rigeur - all I know is that the JTD engine hasn't done any of that, or had those problem's.

I find parts etc on the Saab sites: Elkparts or Parts For Saab's much cheaper than dealers - there again, most are GM bits.

It's still on it's original clutch and flywheel, and shows no signs of wear there yet, either.

Downsides ? It's got - or feels to have less - torque than a VAG, but it's so smooth, more petrol-like infact, that's probably a subjective thing.
    It's not as economical as a VAG diesel. Mine does an average of 40mpg on the commute, and up to 46 on a run, so a bit behind the proverbial........Octavia :D

If you are truly bothered about the swirl flap thing, then the 8v 120bhp model has all the ++ and none of the minus', and uses less juice as well !!

When my Saab comes to pass, I will actively consider an Alfa.

Oh yeah: and the plus side? - Saab's and Alfa's are always cheaper than anything else !! :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I have an '04 Afla GT JTD.

The only problem I've had with the car really is the clutch went.

The engine is great imo. Great power for a 1.9diesel. 150bhp.

Make sure when you get it serviced that the EGR valve is cleaned.

MPG - I dont know the exact MPG but I do 90% city driving in mine and get 450 - 500 miles out of a tank which I'm happy with.

I'm sure if you did motorway driving that figure would increase.

Friend of mine owns an Alfa 159 JTD and he loves it. Only thing thats gone wrong on his is a steering rack problem that he got fixed handy enough as far as I'm aware.

Love the 159 btw beats the hell out of buyin a mondeo, avensis, octavia (although it has a big boot. lol) or other boring family saloons.

edit. I think its worth noting by the way I was worried when I bought the alfa reliability wise as of all the pub chat etc saying they're woefully unreliable. The newer models are not as bad as they're made out to be, not by a long shot. I had a passat before that gave loads of problems but again put chat would have you believe VW is a reliable marque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

galwaytt wrote: »
    Downsides ? It's got - or feels to have less - torque than a VAG, but it's so smooth, more petrol-like infact, that's probably a subjective thing.
    It's not as economical as a VAG diesel. Mine does an average of 40mpg on the commute, and up to 46 on a run, so a bit behind the proverbial........Octavia :D
    Strange, our pre-M 2.4JTD does those figures and its remapped to 200bhp (though de-catted too).
    To the OP, Alfa diesels dont have the reliability problems people associate with Alfa and the 159 is a lot nicer put together than a 156, though apparently not as sporty or nimble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Strange, our pre-M 2.4JTD does those figures and its remapped to 200bhp (though de-catted too).
    To the OP, Alfa diesels dont have the reliability problems people associate with Alfa and the 159 is a lot nicer put together than a 156, though apparently not as sporty or nimble.

I'm incredibly jealous. I'd love a 159 2.4JTD. I've looked at them in the UK as well cause there very few over here. I reckon importing one would be the only way forward. VRT isnt cheap on them though. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I'm incredibly jealous. I'd love a 159 2.4JTD. I've looked at them in the UK as well cause there very few over here. I reckon importing one would be the only way forward. VRT isnt cheap on them though. :mad:

Id like one too, but we only have a 156 2.4JTD, not the 159 2.4JTDm!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Thanks guys for taking the time to post, pretty positive so far......

Will have to look into the swirl flap ingestion issue only affecting earlier cars, this would definitley sway me towards the '08.
    I agree that you can find horror stories about any car or marque if you look hard enough and yes, I defenitley read to much internet!

Interesting to hear about your SAAB galwaytt, hadn't considered one of those. Trying really hard to stay out of a Mondeo, fine car and all that it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Matt Simis wrote: »

Well, when they changed the tax/VRT rules in 08, a 2.4 JTD was top of the list. Then they did the famous u-turn, and the 2.4 is on the high tax - I already have a 3.0, so not doing it twice - 1.9 tax is enough ! (esp when 08 onwards are half that again....... :mad: )

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

On my third JTDm Tí now and they are an excellent machine...Great mile muncher...

The two previous cars covered 60K miles each in two years i had them..

The 2006 had one top arm & an airflow sensor replaced in the two years..

The 2008 had a top arm & power steering pump replaced...all under warranty

2010, nothing so far into a years ownership....

Never had DPF issues, but then again I don't be poodling round town

The MPG in the real world is about 41-43. And not less than 41 MPG no matter how hard I pushed on...

Excellent machine all round, find loads of excuses to get out and drive twisty stuff...

Make sure they have a full service history...They can be heavy on tyres, depending on mileage. Francis Melia Sorts me out There..Shameless plug

Good luck in the hunt...:)

Loads more info here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Friend as an '08 159 1.9 diesel. He loves it, but it has lived up to the reputation of being unreliable. Some problems have been very expensive indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

n97 mini wrote: »
    Friend as an '08 159 1.9 diesel. He loves it, but it has lived up to the reputation of being unreliable. Some problems have been very expensive indeed.

Care to elaborate on what went wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Was thinking of getting a 159 or GT next year when my nct on current car is up. in for later.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

My '08 SAAB has that 1.9 150bhp engine as well and I find it very good. Both economical when you want to 50+mpg on motorways and plenty of power if you put the boot down. It's now done 84K miles and it runs like new. I've never had to add a drop of oil between services either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

I have a 08 1.9 jtdm since march '10 and I love it, I've never had a problem so far and I've put 40000kms on it since that time :) gratuitous picture post? ok :D

myalfa.jpg

I have had it regularly serviced tho, and am planning on treating it to a detail soon :D

I'd highly, highly recommend it tho, lovely inside and out, great torquey engine, and a real eye grabber :) if they're looked after well they're as reliable as any other modern car, I think the reputation lately is undeserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

gratuitous picture post? ok :D

myalfa.jpg

Ok :D

displayimage.php?imageid=20582

bazz26 wrote: »

Nice car, but Black or Rosso is the only colour imo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Hotwheels wrote: »

Are images disabled in this thread? I tried :D

edit, it's too big so i'll just link it!

http://i52.tinypic.com/e7o5cz.jpg

ps hotwheels, WOW!!!! is that yours??

Hotwheels wrote: »

Are images disabled in this thread? I tried :D

edit, it's too big so i'll just link it!

http://i52.tinypic.com/e7o5cz.jpg

ps hotwheels, WOW!!!! is that yours??

Yep that's my Bella...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Veloce wrote: »
    Care to elaborate on what went wrong?
    Lots of small things like bursting the diesel filter, to bigger things like requiring a new steering rack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement