Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary Hedging Pruning Advice

Options
  • 23-02-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently planted a boundary hedging consisting of hawthorn, field maple, wild rose, guelder rose and native privet. I also have hornbeam planted on one side of the boundary. I have heard different advice regarding pruning this hedging - one to prune back all of the hedging by 50% now, the other to wait till May to prune and then to repeat in August. Do the different options have different advantages/disadvantages or is there a reason to pick one over the other?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I have a similar blend, field maple & whitethorn, with an odd holly here and there. My neighbour who works in Coillte has had me over the last 3 winters cutting them back, to thicken them up. I only did them again 2 weekends ago. This time he advised me to cut back to leave about 6 inches of last years growth. The first winter he got me to cut them right back as they were only bare root slips when first planted. The biggest problem i found with the hedge was trying to stop weeds and grass from smothering it ! Last spring I weeded it right out and put down tons of bark along the boundary, and last summer was by far the best growth thus far.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

secman wrote: »
    I have a similar blend, field maple & whitethorn, with an odd holly here and there. My neighbour who works in Coillte has had me over the last 3 winters cutting them back, to thicken them up. I only did them again 2 weekends ago. This time he advised me to cut back to leave about 6 inches of last years growth. The first winter he got me to cut them right back as they were only bare root slips when first planted. The biggest problem i found with the hedge was trying to stop weeds and grass from smothering it ! Last spring I weeded it right out and put down tons of bark along the boundary, and last summer was by far the best growth thus far.

Secman

+1 on that get in there now so the new growth isn't wasted just when you are going about it OP keep an eye out for birds begining to make nests which is a problem the later you leave it.

Advertisement