Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run 2011

• 18-03-2010 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭

Folks,

Anyone know if you can just turn up on the day and pay your entry fee? I don't have a credit card so can't do it on the website.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

print this form and send a cheque into the AAI before the 25th

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/gir-aai-entry-form.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

That'll do nicely. I'm slowly being marginalised by society for not having a credit card!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Skr4wny wrote: »
    That'll do nicely. I'm slowly being marginalised by society for not having a credit card!!!

You do need to be registered with AAI to take that particular route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Feck that I entered via great run website-Besides paying more is there any other difference????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

jinka wrote: »
    Feck that I entered via great run website-Besides paying more is there any other difference????

Yeah I believe the AAI members get a seperate starting pen up at the front awayy from the crowds :D

• Advertisement

it's a farce it really is-whole thing has been swallowed up by "great run".

it's a farce it really is-whole thing has been swallowed up by "great run".

If you wear your club singlet you may still be able to blag your way into the Club runners starting pen...

menoscemo wrote: »
    If you wear your club singlet you may still be able to blag your way into the Club runners starting pen...

Rest assured I will. Seems a bit silly with 2 dif ways to enter?

Rest assured I will. Seems a bit silly with 2 dif ways to enter?

Technially for club runners it is not the Great Ireland Run but the 10km Road race championship of Ireland. I think they have just combined the two races for the first time this year. I wouldn't have entered if I'd had to pay €29 to start in the middle of thousands of fun runners. There was a thread on here about this afew weeks back and thankfully I saw how to enter through the AAI.

Technially for club runners it is not the Great Ireland Run but the 10km Road race championship of Ireland. I think they have just combined the two races for the first time this year. I wouldn't have entered if I'd had to pay €29 to start in the middle of thousands of fun runners. There was a thread on here about this afew weeks back and thankfully I saw how to enter through the AAI.

Yeah bit annoying getting ripped off but only saw the thread now. My club are not the best at entering athletes-it's a real "look after yourselves lads" attitude with no captain or info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

You do need to be registered with AAI to take that particular route.

Damn, so that's that option ruled out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I wouldn't have entered if I'd had to pay €29 to start in the middle of thousands of fun runners.

It's done in waves now so that shouldn't happen, assuming everyone is honest about their expected finishing times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Jip wrote: »
    assuming everyone is honest about their expected finishing times.

That would be first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It's done in waves now so that shouldn't happen, assuming everyone is honest about their expected finishing times.

lol

assuming everyone is honest about their expected finishing times.

Big assumption. Most people won't have a clue how long it will take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

After 2km of dodging walkers from a start in the 45-55 min pen last year, I don't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

I started in the sub 45 pen 2 years ago and still ended up stuck behind a guy jogging whilst pushing a pram (yes with a kid in it!!). Think prams are banned this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yes, yes, my tongue was firmly in cheek !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sklarker wrote: »
    I started in the sub 45 pen 2 years ago and still ended up stuck behind a guy jogging whilst pushing a pram (yes with a kid in it!!). Think prams are banned this year

I did the Jingle Bells 5k in December, and saw three people running with buggies.
    They all finished before me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just remember that AAI Championship results will be based on the time taken to complete the course from the gun being fired, not from the electronic chip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

What's the deadline for entries for non AAI?

Can't seem to find a date on the website

Anybody get their tshirt and number yet? Mine came in post yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Any use jinka, tech tshirts ? Who makes them?

Getting sick of the thought of paying €30 for a 10k but it's the only run in the park in the near future I will definitely be around for.

It was Nike Drifit shirts last year. Nice shirts, if a little see-through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

It was Nike Drifit shirts last year. Nice shirts, if a little see-through.

A bit of rain and it could get interesting. LOL:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just registered yesterday now that I'm out of Connemara. Was unsure of what to predict my time as given that people over an hour will no doubt be in the sub 45 pen. They seem to have more pens this year though? I'm wary of going for a time given this race has a bad rep for congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Just registered yesterday now that I'm out of Connemara. Was unsure of what to predict my time as given that people over an hour will no doubt be in the sub 45 pen. They seem to have more pens this year though? I'm wary of going for a time given this race has a bad rep for congestion.

I was in the 45-55 min pen last year and still had my first 2k destroyed by trying to dodge people who weren't running by the time they reached 500m/1k.

Race day info with pens:
    http://www.greatirelandrun.org/App_Files/Gr_Files/GIR-comps-info.pdf

Have they announced what the different pens will be yet?

I expect to finish in 50-55 minutes. I assume that any pen is going to have lots of people in it who are too slow, so I was thinking that it would make more sense to be at the front of a 55+ pen than the back of a sub-55 pen. That way I wouldn't be in the way of any faster runners, and there'd be time for the people ahead of me to spread out a bit, so I'd have more space to overtake walkers.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

I was doing a lot of running on kerbs and the first roundabout was tight to get around. Started in the 45-55 pen as well and was passing walkers for ages.
    I enjoyed the event though.
    Going to run a less congested 10k the week after instead. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

whats the course like ? , sent in form to AAI last friday and nothin back since , anyone else running for boards ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭jedistev

Have run last year... i enjoy it, maybe i am opposite from everyone who prefer less, which i prefer crowd ...something feeling good factor...but annoy with ignorant who walker or over 60 mins run on 40mins or 45 mins start

the route is so and so... 1-3 fairly flat

4km downhill

5km hill, which you need pratice hill before run this

6km small downhill

8km tough long hill and small downhill and watch ugly turn left with hill

9km finish all flat to end

http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Events/2010/TheCourse.aspx

my hope is 48 mins after long injury with calf

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Seres wrote: »
    whats the course like ? , sent in form to AAI last friday and nothin back since , anyone else running for boards ?

Yeah ill be running for Boards, i sent mine in over two weeks ago and still nothing back either?.

I was in the 45-55 min pen last year and still had my first 2k destroyed by trying to dodge people who weren't running by the time they reached 500m/1k.

Race day info with pens:
    http://www.greatirelandrun.org/App_Files/Gr_Files/GIR-comps-info.pdf

Thanks. Was considering over estimating my time to allow myself the space to run at my pace but I'd don't want to be an inconsiderate prat that slows down faster runners. Looking at that link though it wouldn't have mattered anyway, I'm aiming for sub 45 so I'll be in the first pen anyway. Hope I can handle those hills. :rolleyes:

Any use jinka, tech tshirts ? Who makes them?

Getting sick of the thought of paying €30 for a 10k but it's the only run in the park in the near future I will definitely be around for.

its ok-white technical one:confused:
    bit of a rip off to be honest
    pity its white as that means it will go grey soon:mad:
    big sized-my small one is more like a large-bizzare:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭jedistev

its ok-white tecnical one:confused:
    bit of rip off to be honest
    pity its white as that means it will go grey soon:mad:
    big sized-my small one is more like a large-bizzare:eek:

yep though Nike Dri-fit much better and high Quality and still good condition after worn many time during training

....so going test it on Great ireland run and see how good

• Advertisement

foleyalan wrote: »
    Yeah ill be running for Boards, i sent mine in over two weeks ago and still nothing back either?.

Yeah, me too and nothing back since I sent in form a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jailhouse_dave

just seen this in the rules:

No pets, dogs, guide dogs or horses.

I cant believe they are banning horses in this race

Well there is some precedent for that ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Did this race in 08 and 09 and I have to say its very enjoyable. The first year I did it it got crowded for the first kilometre or so which lost me probably 20 seconds or so. Last year I started closer to the front and it was fine.

I'd love to do this race again but its just a week after Rotterdam so will be in no state to do the race justice.

I will warn you all that the course isnt ideal for a PB by any means. My PB is 45:32 but my Great Ireland Run best is 46:59, almost a minute and a half slower! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

I got my racepack today . Crikey the small tshirt is HUGE. Cant imagine how big the large must be. Guess I better start training or I will fit into it by the time I get to start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

I agree. I asked for small too and its huge, another one for my 23 year old son for training. Are there no womens ones? Really nice t shirt though!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is there a closing date for this? I can't commit to the run until near that week but would love to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Closing date for online entries is April 11. But you register at lifestyle in blanchardstown after that. Entry limit is 12000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

How was parking handled for this event, in other years. Is there an area set aside for participants, or do you just park where you can ?

There's no parking in the park, according to the information leaflet.
    There are shuttle buses from Parkgate street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Im surprised to see them using the same route as last year. The start of the descent into the furry glen is in very poor condition and, unless retarred, may be too dangerous for the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

RayCun wrote: »
    There's no parking in the park, according to the information leaflet.
    There are shuttle buses from Parkgate street.

Thanks for that. Those arrangements suggest an assumption that all competitors will be coming from City Centre, so those of us arriving via the M50 will have to .. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

T runner wrote: »
    Im surprised to see them using the same route as last year. The start of the descent into the furry glen is in very poor condition and, unless retarred, may be too dangerous for the race.

It was pretty bad there last year as well IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

briano wrote: »
    It was pretty bad there last year as well IIRC.

Yep, its actually worsened with the freeze-there are parts where there is very little tarmac left. People will stumble here if they cant see the ground in a group.

T runner wrote: »

I ran it yesterday and it was awful. The ice in January has made it worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement