Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's the craic with parking?
    For those travelling by car please note that there is NO PARKING available in the Park on Sunday 10 April 2011. It is recommended that drivers use the multi-storey car parks in the Dublin 1/2/7 and 8 areas and take public transport to the Park. There is a certain amount of free on-street parking available on Sundays but participants are advised to take note of the street parking signs and avoid causing inconvenience to residents.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Drinks in ryans are a givenat this stage. No?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

Hi,

Registered in Lifestyle yesterday in Blanch. €30, only recieved my number and information guide.

Read here people are saying :
    Late Entries that were received in the office after Wednesday 30th March can collect their race packs at the AAI Check-In/Registration Desk on Sunday Morning.

Will this include my timing chip and tshirt (if there is one?) Will i need to bring ID?

Thanks again for your help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Whats the story with tshirts this year ?
    Got my number/chip/leaflet ages ago, no word of a tshirt though.

http://www.greatirelandrun.org/App_Files/Gr_Files/SPAR-Great-Ireland-Run-2011-Competitors-Information-Booklet.pdf
    Tshirts in bags at finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Redders825 wrote: »
    Hi,

Registered in Lifestyle yesterday in Blanch. €30, only recieved my number and information guide.

Late Entries that were received in the office after Wednesday 30th March can collect their race packs at the AAI Check-In/Registration Desk on Sunday Morning.

Will this include my timing chip and tshirt (if there is one?) Will i need to bring ID?

Not too sure. Did you register as an AAI athlete? I reckon you should rung the AAI office directly. Phone number is on AAI website. T-shirt given out in godly bag after the race AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Hi,

Your timing chip should be in the pack with your number and guide. The t-shirts are being given out at the end of the race this year.

Your quote about late entries is for AAI athletes entering the National 10k only, not those entering through GreatRun. Check for your timing chip and if it's not there go to the GreatRun info desk in the park on Sunday.

Drinks in ryans are a givenat this stage. No?

Of course, just seeing who's around. Not as many regulars running this year as in previous years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm not running this, as I'm off to Connemara.

But I had entered this before I realized the date clash, and have also received no number in the post. Strange they have been so late coming out?

Good luck everyone taking part - looks like you will have amazing weather for a run in the park, so dont forget the sunscreen :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

jesus , did anyone get there no. in the post ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

From the Phoenix Pk website:
    The Commissioners of Public Works order that to ensure the safety of participants in the Great Irish Run to be held on Sunday 10 April 2011 the following restrictions will apply in the Phoenix Park on the day and for the periods herinafter mentioned:
    Date of Event
    10 April 2011

Period of Closure

Chesterfield Avenue (Mountjoy to the Phoenix) 09:30AM – 2.45PM

Back Road (Ratra to Mountjoy Cross) 12.30PM – 2.45PM
    Odd Lamp Road 12.30PM – 2.45PM
    Ordnance Survey Road 11.00 AM – 3.45 PM
    Military Road 12.30PM - 3.15 PM
    Glen/Upr Glen Road 1.15 PM - 3.30PM
    Furry Glen 1.15PM – 3.45PM
    Acres Road (Phoenix to Khyber) 12.30 PM - 2.45PM

Roads to be closed to vehicular traffic:
    Acres Road
    Back road between Mountjoy and Ratra Triangle
    Chesterfield Avenue between the Phoenix and Mountjoy Cross
    Survey Road from Mountjoy Junction to Upper Glen Road
    Upper Glen Road/ Glen Road/ Military Road to Islandbridge Gate
    Gates to be closed:
    Chapelizod Gate ( Except Hospital traffic) 1.15 PM – 2.45 PM
    Knockmaroon Gate 1.15PM – 3.45 PM
    Islandbridge Gate, no left turnn 12.30PM – 3.15PM
    Ashtown Gate 12.30PM -2.45PM
    Castleknock Gate 12.30 AM – 2.45 PM
    Cabra Gate 12.30 AM - 2.45 PM (left turn only)

• Advertisement

xebec wrote: »
    Of course, just seeing who's around. Not as many regulars running this year as in previous years...

I know. Something is on in the wesht this weekend I hear, who'd want to run 39 miles when they can stay here and run 10k instead? Not me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'll be running, but don't think I can hang around for pints :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Hi,

Hi, just wondering where exactly is the place in Blanch - is it in a retail park?....the Tk Maxx/53 degrees North one, or the Next one, or the McGurks one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Hi, just wondering where exactly is the place in Blanch - is it in a retail park?....the Tk Maxx/53 degrees North one, or the Next one, or the McGurks one?
    It is the Tk Maxx/53 degrees North one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Good luck to everyone running tomorrow. Looks like it'll be warm out there, so take it handy and don't forget to SMILE for the cameras :D

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭runjb

Seems to be a good build up to the event. Over 11000 runners are expected to grace the park tomorrow in what should be a cracking day for Ireland's sole IAAF Labelled event.

RTE will once again cover the event live. Good previews available on AAI website

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=18579

Irish interest features, Martin Fagan, Mary Cullen and Fionnula Briton. All three will be up against some hot competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 wishihadalife

On parking , in previous years I have seen tonnes of people parking inside the Park , if I am down there by 12 would I have any hassle parking somewhere inside (any risk of being clamped)?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Too late at that stage, I think all gates will be closed. 11,000 plus runners will generate a huge amount of traffic. Get there earlier for sure. Enjoy the trot in the park everyone.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

PB time folks,hardly a leaf stirring at the moment :) Reminiscent of 2007 and not some of the other recent siberian-type GI days...on second toughts it's already 16-18c so may be a bit on the warm side by 1300 but we'll give it a lash anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Oh lord--the heat :o Second warmest race i ran--was heading for a sub 45 but the heat kicked in,the thoughts of my name in the independent next to an awful time kept me from stopping around the 7k mark--two awful k's at 7 and 9 (a 5'01" :mad:) ruined the sub 45 but managed a PB by 25' of 45'21" so mixed feelings.Would have hoped for 43xx but a PB in that weather is ok as it was the warmest Irish day possibly since last August and i wasn't away warm weather training since:)
    Hope everyone got in safe as i fear for the later waves and those not prepared.
    Well ran race but only gripe is a cotton t-shirt wasn't expected for that fee--Dungarvan/Villierstown 10m wins there!!
    Also--why not say on the booklet the orange wave start is 1330 :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

PB in the bag but had to really really work for it. Heat was tough. Course is always tough. No wind though so I can't complain. Was a bit annoyed at the start time. I did my warm up too early. Tee shirt is crap. Great day and great atmosphere.

Horrible day out for me, slowest time I've ever done in that race. Pretty disappointed tbh, but the heat really took it out of me and yesterday on the booze deffo didn't help! Oh well, time to put that one behind me...

Terrible race for me too.
    Having to warm up so early and then stand in the pen for half an hour (or be behind a thousand people) doesn't help, but I can't blame it for my race, I just lost the mental battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jjbsligo

Horrible race for me too - started off good however collapsed in the last 2 miles - had noting left to give! The heat and hills just killed me!

I suppose you have to have the bad days to have the good ones!
    Well done to all those who are happy

Even more depressing than Barca 2010. Head was gone before I hit 3k, my legs never had a chance after that. Think thats the slowest I've ever run 10k.

first ever 10k so can't compare to other similar distances - all I can say that the hills are tough - especially that long one at 1/2 way. just over 42 mins was what I expected so happy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Man that was tough, heat was killer. New PB for me, so i'll not complain. Seen few lads the worst for wear due to the heat, one poor lad was collapsed on the path between 8 and 9km. Great to see such a large crowd taking part.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

Yes, tough going today.

The results are here

http://greatrun.org/Results/Default.aspx

Also - the course map shows three water stations. I think that there was only one - at 4k near the Islandbridge gate. Not impressed.

Burgman wrote: »

Also - the course map shows three water stations. I think that there was only one - at 4k near the Islandbridge gate. Not impressed.

only remember one also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Someone must make a lot of money out of this badly run race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

That was toasty. PB in 35:51 so happy - not quite the time i had in mind. good race all the same - always someone to aim for / run with. Chased Tunguska for a lot of the last 4k. The 2 boys from raheny shamrocks having a pi$$ in the pen as we waited at the start was a particularly nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

absolute torture in that heat... and the late start again didn't help. I had no water with me to sip on before the race. By the time i got to the water station i was gasping for water and they were not giving me two.. but i really needed them. Did better than last year but worse than what i did it in in the aware run in Jan.

happygoose wrote: »
    Someone must make a lot of money out of this badly run race.

How was it badly run??

tang1 wrote: »
    How was it badly run??

1. Cost
    2. Start time
    3. T shirt
    4. Water stations

Point taken but cant agree with any of those points, maybe cost. But on the leaflet that came in your race pack it clearly shows only 2 water stations, one at 5km and one at the finish. The gentlemen on the PA system repeated that point over and over before race started. The t-shirt is a bit poor o.k, but i've run far worse races than this for twice the cost. I'd say the vast majority enjoyed there race today.

• Advertisement

I ran Dunboyne 2 weeks ago, twice the race and half the cost.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 JinkyJ

I noticed today at the race, organizers used one of the big security companies to steward the course....why don't they do what the Adidas series does and use volunteers from surrounding clubs who are not running, surely this would keep the price down a bit ?

I was not running today and would have volunteered to lend a hand like I did at the adidas series when I was injured...

tang1 wrote: »
    Point taken but cant agree with any of those points, maybe cost. But on the leaflet that came in your race pack it clearly shows only 2 water stations, one at 5km and one at the finish. The gentlemen on the PA system repeated that point over and over before race started. The t-shirt is a bit poor o.k, but i've run far worse races than this for twice the cost. I'd say the vast majority enjoyed there race today.

http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Events/2010/TheCourse.aspx

3 water stations

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭annieee

Jaysis, fair play to those that got pbs! I was way off today.

Disappointing race for me, started off too fast, didn't have mental strength at all today, don't know what happened to me. Plus the heat didn't help.

T-shirts are crappy, was expecting a tech t-shirt.

Other than that I thought it was pretty well organised for the crowds there.

I ran Dunboyne 2 weeks ago, twice the race and half the cost.

I agree with you wholeheartedly there. Cracker of a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

asimonov wrote: »
    That was toasty. PB in 35:51 so happy - not quite the time i had in mind. good race all the same - always someone to aim for / run with.

I was just up the road from ya so!, ran it in 35.42, pb also! And I went through the 5k in a pb of 17.10 also! I should have broke the 35.30 but died last 2k, thoses hills were tough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Why care about a t shirt? Surely you can run for 5km without a drink? Don't enter it if it is too pricey for your budget.
    If it was a delayed start time, that can be annoying admittedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

1. Cost
    2. Start time
    3. T shirt
    4. Water stations
    Ah yes, now I remember why I did not do it this year.
    The cost is always high,
    The start time is deliberately delayed for rte.
    I have plenty of t-shirts tech or cotton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

That was tough! I got a bit fed up waiting around at the start line and just wanted to get under-way. The heat was insane, although it did get overcast at one point thankfully.

I agree with others, I only seen one water station and that was at the half way mark. I had about half a litre on the start line so I wasn't too bad but was getting a bit thirsty coming up to the half way mark.

Pretty slow for me, but that's to be expected given my shape and everything. Finished in 1hr 33 mins.

1. Cost
    2. Start time
    3. T shirt
    4. Water stations

I don't think it's badly run, but it is poor value. The start time is always around 1.30, it seems they only put the earlier time in to get people there on time. It's not that they really really mean to start at 1.00 but get delayed. The map in the information leaflet only has water stations at midway and the finish, which is all you'd expect from a 10k race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Regarding the water stations, they just posted this on the GIR Facebook page:

"Thanks for the comments so far guys. Obviously it was a hot day but the medical advice we are given is that there should not be more than water station on a 10k course to avoid over hydration. We guarantee every comment will be taken on board and don't forget you have a post race questionnaire we'll be sending to air your comments too"

I assume they meant to say 1 water station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 fleck

The elite men passed some women after 6k and were passing them all the way to the finish especially in the last 2k, that was a bit of a joke! These girls should have been in the main body of runners not running with elite/club runners and it wasn't just one or two of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TrinityPhD

If there was only every going to be one water station, why did they show three on the map on their website?

It was all well and good them telling you to drink water in the starting line, but I had no water with me to drink, and I was there for half an hour. Given the day that was in it, maybe they could have handed out water there too?

The race wasn't badly organised, but it didn't feel well organised. I didn't talk to any stewards or see any stewards wandering through the crowds before the start - you know people who could direct you or answer questions, or just chat to people in the crowd. I didn't need one, but it's nice to have that visible presence. There were no signs for the toilets, the queues were extremely long and there was no tissue. The race was always going to start late, but there seemed to be no sense of urgency in getting people lined up to start.

I suspect I'm biased though because the heat completely floored me. Took me an hour and 13 minutes, I covered it faster in training last week!
    meh.

Annoyed with myself, intention was to run 3*3k with a 500m walk in between, ran to about 2.5k and couldn't keep going. I was completely parched, and I'd ran far too quickly off the start line. I really needed a drink of water at that point. Walked/ran about every 500m after that. The time is actually pretty good considering how awful my actual ability to run was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

G-Money wrote: »
    Regarding the water stations, they just posted this on the GIR Facebook page:

"Obviously it was a hot day but the medical advice we are given is that there should not be more than water station on a 10k course to avoid over hydration".

Hmm Then why were there 3 stations on the map. And they announced there'd be 2 pre race. Also, they ran out of water at the finish line. They kept telling people to keep moving and that "there is water in your bag".. which there wasn't.

Anyway, I was 49seconds slower than last year, coming in at 55.49. I blame the heat, and the fact that I'm getting over a neck and foot injury!
    Enjoyable day but my God wasn't it hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Suffered savagely with a cold today even with the high temperatures. Enjoyed the race but I would have preferred the 3 water stations as specified. Was looking for some aqua at the start line & couldn't find any. This was never PB territorry why not try the 10k in the K Club next Saturday for that.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement