Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I was happy enough to finish my first competitive race in 43:11. I'm sure I could have carved out a sub 42 on a cooler day. Those hills were also a killer for me :D

Had a great day but I was dissapointed with the t-shirt. I got a fairly decent one fron the '5k with Ray' I did during the week & that was only €5 to enter. Granted it was a fun run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done everyone, I bailed out shortly after 5k as my thigh/groin was not playing ball and this was not an A race, was trotting along happily enough about 3:40 pace until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

tang1 wrote: »
    Point taken but cant agree with any of those points, maybe cost. But on the leaflet that came in your race pack it clearly shows only 2 water stations, one at 5km and one at the finish. The gentlemen on the PA system repeated that point over and over before race started. The t-shirt is a bit poor o.k, but i've run far worse races than this for twice the cost. I'd say the vast majority enjoyed there race today.

Twice the cost?? What 10k race charges €60??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Great day, same complaint as everyone, lack of water, first 10k so happy with 57 mins but know I could have done much better bloody heat. Did the first 5k in 25.19 so was well happy with that maybe it was to quick to start, Bring on the Kildare Half.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

footing wrote: »
    Twice the cost?? What 10k race charges €60??

Where did you see me write 10km regarding cost, said races. And i paid €25 euro for todays race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Only my second ever 10k race and third in total so was delighted to shave 4 mins off my PB with a time of 48 min 16 secs, considering the weather conditions and other issues alluded to already. Next up 11.5k relay of Belfast marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

You can watch a replay of the TV show on RTE Player. Beware though, when the camera goes to Joanne Cantwell they decide they want to make everyone sick by it spinning around her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Happy enough with my day. Finished in 53.00, was hoping for 52 but it's still 3 mins better than last year and a 10k PB. Those hills in the second half were tough going.
    Reckon 1 water station is fine for 10k and the cotton t-shirt suits me fine. I'll sleep soundly in it. Probably have enough running t-shirts. I was annoyed about the late start though, but I just stood in the shade of a tree until the Orange wave started. I was in white wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

5606225051_9c2ba06d41.jpg

5606447637_6c8c87a29d.jpg

5606812820_8e84660ffb.jpg

5607398450_589c42dd4d.jpg

More photo's from the Great Ireland Run (courtesy of my mum!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Heat was insane, hills were brutal but a PB of 25 seconds so very happy all things considered.
    Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

More photo's from the Great Ireland Run (courtesy of my mum!)
    Fair play, she covered a number of locations on the course. How many km did she run today?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31670380@N07/5606809213/
    Wow, 45:27 for the man with the arm in a sling (on the right). That must really disrupt your running.

For me, I am a tiny bit disappointed to not break 40mins (40:34). The last time I was over 40mins in this race was in 2004. Having said that, I didn't put in as much training as previous years and I did turn 40 earlier in the year. And it was hot - I cannot remember the last time I took water during a 10k - I was quite thirsty at 5k this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Good atmosphere, weather made the day.
    First competitive 10k, did 52.30 in training so was hoping to match that but came in a whisker under 50min so delighted.
    Expected 3 water stations, per website, but otherwise a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

daymobrew wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/31670380@N07/5606809213/
    Wow, 45:27 for the man with the arm in a sling (on the right). That must really disrupt your running.

Ha, that reminds me of the time I had a broken arm, and was down watching a track and field meeting in Wicklow, and my teammates were shy a 4th runner for the 4x100m relay team, they roped me into doing it, saying I would be the last runner, and they would have it won by then and I just needed to finish! Sure enough I did it, not very willingly but had no other choice! But anyway, it was funny, me sprinting down the home straight in the lead, with a big enough crowd looking at me, and I could move my good arm normally, but had to keep my bad arm in like a chicken wing or something ha!

Regarding the waterstops, 3 waterstops on a 10k seems very over the top, and it is hard enough to plan for something like there being a 25deg day in April in Ireland, so I can see how they got caught out! I will admit they should have had water beforehand, and certainly should not have ran out after!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Woah he passed me by going into the furry glen, he must of run some last 2k - either that or my last 2k were more woeful than I thought!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

A lot of bitchin going on here. Sure it was hot and times where slow. I had a great oul chat with Graham from corrie at the start.Pity Tina wasnt with him!!!! I ran 30seconds slower than planned but who gives a flying fcuk. Was fun and great coverage from Rte except for Gerry Kiernans ropey shirt.

As for the water stations 1 station is enough in any 10k.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

violator13 wrote: »
    A lot of bitchin going on here. Sure it was hot and times where slow. I had a great oul chat with Graham from corrie at the start.Pity Tina wasnt with him!!!! I ran 30seconds slower than planned but who gives a flying fcuk. Was fun and great coverage from Rte except for Gerry Kiernans ropey shirt.

As for the water stations 1 station is enough in any 10k.:D

Im not sure everyone would agree with you on the water front...pardon the pun!
    I actually thought that because they advertised that there would be another water station around the 7km mark that one or two gulps of water would suffice at 5km and i threw the water away. My mouth was dry for the remainder and there was some mad oul one giving out the remains of a bottle of water so i stopped to get it off her and she decided to start messing around putting some of the water into another container and searching on the ground for an empty bottle. I lost a number of seconds waiting on the head case and ended up with another minute added to my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Setting aside the course materials which were probably printed up in advance and not subject to last minute changes. What confused me was that I'm 99.9% sure that when everyone was lined up waiting to go they kept announcing there was water at the start line and the finish line. I didn't see any at either point. I remember running past the start thinking I'd grab a bottle and there was none at all. I didn't even see any tables or anything where they would have been giving them out if there had been water.

The only place they had water that I could see was at the 5k mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There was water at the finish line, between the chip collection and the tshirt/bag stations, but a few people have said they ran out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

in the starting pen, it was announced several times that there would be water only at 5k. Then it changed to 2.5k, 5k and 7.5k and then back to only 5k again. No water woulda been fine if you weren't standing there in the blazing sunshine for an hour before we got off.
    My biggest gripe about the day was about my own stupidity...I decided, since it was such a lovely day, to wear a pair of flop-floppy sandal things for the trip into the park. Got off the Luas a Heuston and walked up to the start (completely forgetting how long of a walk it was). By the time I got there, I had some lovely blisters on the ball of my foot :o. They're bigger now and most pleasant ;). Finished in 52.17, was targeting under 50, but I guess since this was my first one in umpteen years, it qualifies as a PB ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

I don't have an issue with the water situation. Would have been nice to have a second drink in the latter stages with it being such a warm day but it was clear to me beforehand there was only going to be one waterstation.

I have a problem with this event consistently starting so late compared to the advertised time. The worst thing is the waiting around beforehand. Also while I think the coloured starting was great to seperate people into different categories what was the point in holding the later starters back so long? I was in the orange section and my sister in law who was walking was in the pink section at the back. I was passing the 3K section and I heard an announcement they would be starting in a couple of minutes. What was the reason for such a big gap between groups when they were going to be considerably slower anyway?

Made for a lot of waiting around before and after the race. They could with taking a look at how the race series is run and might learn from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

asimonov wrote: »
    That was toasty. PB in 35:51 so happy - not quite the time i had in mind. good race all the same - always someone to aim for / run with. Chased Tunguska for a lot of the last 4k.

You sly old dog simon, me running with a big x on my back. Although in my defence I have to point out that I've been out injured and that was my first time running in 8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

daymobrew wrote: »
    Fair play, she covered a number of locations on the course. How many km did she run today?

A fair whack of walking by my reckoning - 4km and finish were the two photo locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Enjoyed the race. First 10k of the season. Slow enough at 51'. By the time Intel 10k comes around should have that down to 48ish.
    Heat was mental. As for 1 water station, MC clearly said water stations at 4.5 and 8k points. I was expecting the 2nd WS. A lot of people had to be treated by paramedics.
    Over-hydrating.....what a load of bollix!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

I had my worst 10k time in about 5 years. I ran it in just under 55 minutes. Having just looked back at my race profile from the Dublin marathon and I ran the last 10k of that in a quicker time. Granted I am only just back from a calf tear but I ran sub 49 minutes last week.

The lack of water was not a big issue for me (I never bring water on a 10km run). However, the standing around in the sun for 35 minutes in the sun must have had a significant impact. Everyone I spoke to after finished well outside of their target time, most runners of lots of experience. To end it all, the t-shirt was crap!

I'm sure I'll do it again next year because we bring up around 50 kids for the Junior race (which they all enjoyed) but I hope I remember to manage my expectations of the race.

I don't do too many races in the Park but this one is not a patch on the 10 mile and half marathon Adidas race series events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I didn't run this yesterday. I can't believe the bitching about water stations. Normally a 10k has 1 watersation and that is more than enough. TBH in a 10k you don't even need any.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the race. First 10k of the season. Slow enough at 51'. By the time Intel 10k comes around should have that down to 48ish.
    Heat was mental. As for 1 water station, MC clearly said water stations at 4.5 and 8k points. I was expecting the 2nd WS. A lot of people had to be treated by paramedics.
    Over-hydrating.....what a load of bollix!

Is Intel on this year? Was looking out for it on the fixtures but didn't see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

menoscemo wrote: »
    I didn't run this yesterday. I can't believe the bitching about water stations. Normally a 10k has 1 watersation and that is more than enough. TBH in a 10k you don't even need any.

People love to whinge about 'bad' race organistion.

I would rarely take on any water in a 10km. Never in training ever. Only in a race if it was there, but surely once is enough.

If people are worried about hydration- bring it on your own person, take responsbility for it yourself. People are such babies!

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    People love to whinge about 'bad' race organistion.

I would rarely take on any water in a 10km. Never in training ever. Only in a race if it was there, but surely once is enough.

If people are worried about hydration- bring it on your own person, take responsbility for it yourself. People are such babies!

Yes I wouldn't normally take any liquids unless running for over an hour. But a lot of the people running yesterday were ruunning for over an hour, having waited probably 40 - 50 minutes without liquid before the race (wave starts were staggered) and the organisers had advertised more stations than they actually provided in the race literature - easy to see why some people are annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jo93

Anyone else think their timing chip was off? Just doing the maths from what the clock said when I started and finished and my chip time is a good ten minutes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

glasso wrote: »
    Yes I wouldn't normally take any liquids unless running for over an hour. But a lot of the people running yesterday were ruunning for over an hour, having waited probably 40 - 50 minutes without liquid before the race (wave starts were staggered) and the organisers had advertised more stations than they actually provided in the race literature - easy to see why some people are annoyed.

yeah they certainly shouldnt have advertised that, and not delivered.
    HOwever, i think people do need to take responsibility for their own hydration on a day like that really, especially if they normal hydrate on a 10k. Trust nobody but yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

tunguska wrote: »
    You sly old dog simon, me running with a big x on my back. Although in my defence I have to point out that I've been out injured and that was my first time running in 8 weeks.

I saw you disappear off at the start, was pretty surprised to see you coming back after the S bends - anyways at my age I can only target the weak and the lame :-) hope you get back to full fitness soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Going on reports here, the problem seems to have happened as they kept people standing at the start for 30 minutes with no water in what was blazing heat (20c heat when i was finishing up in Howth before 1).

The hanging around, a very warm day and a terrible course (possibly the worst 10k course you could make up throughout the Park which is why i would never run the race) made the water disappear very quickly i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TrinityPhD

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    yeah they certainly shouldnt have advertised that, and not delivered.
    HOwever, i think people do need to take responsibility for their own hydration on a day like that really, especially if they normal hydrate on a 10k. Trust nobody but yourself!
    Why would you slow yourself down carrying water when there were three water stations advertised on a 10k route? When they made announcements at the start of the course, it wasn't exactly much use, there was nothing you could do about getting water at that point.

It was extremely frustrating as a pink wave starter to listen to the guy in the tower repeatedly tell people to make sure they were hydrated for the weather, while there wasn't a bottle of water in sight and it was 13:47 when I crossed the start line.

As for knowing and taking responsibility for your hydration needs. You guys are experienced runners, there were 11,000 people there and it's a race advertised for all levels. People who are inexperienced get surprised by what their needs in a race are, and they're certainly not used to weather like that.

Three water stations were advertised, they should have been provided no matter what the weather. To not provide them when it was 25C out and they kept the crowd waiting for 50mins at the start line was ridiculous. The race is priced as a professionally organised race, they should have had appropriate plans in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

In fairness, the information leaflet in the race pack only has one water station on the course, and that is standard for a 10k race.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Is Intel on this year? Was looking out for it on the fixtures but didn't see it...

Unfortunately, the Intel 10k won't happen this year but should return in 2012. The next 10k on the BHAA calendar is in the K Club on Saturday next (16/04). It's a good race for PBs but get there early as big numbers are expected. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Water on a 10k? I wouldn't expect water on anything shorter than a HM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

TrinityPhD wrote: »
    To not provide them when it was 25C out and they kept the crowd waiting for 50mins at the start line was ridiculous. The race is priced as a professionally organised race, they should have had appropriate plans in place.

25 C? christ, it's getting hotter per race report. Someone told me it hit 21C in galway today but I dinn't believe then :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

25C? It was 30C at least. Probably more like 35. It is April after all :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sounds like they should have had the water stations that they claimed they would have ... but anything more than 1 on a 10k is getting a bit excessive. Only times I've seen more than one is when it's a couple of laps that your doing so you just happen to go past it twice. Wouldn't expect to see more than one at half way'ish on a 1 lap course, and I'd rarely make use of them whatever the weather. If it was a really hot day then take a bottle with you to the start and chuck it just before, you'd only need to be sipping a bit anyway until about 20mins before the off.

But, for a race that is aimed at beginners and people that have never raced before they should have had more water available, or have checked the weather before hand and called a couple of fire trucks in to hose people down if they are going to keep them hanging around so long to fit around RTE schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Definatly 40 degrees where I was stood!!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

ok so i enjoyed it overall, lovely day , heat didnt really bother me but i wasnt trying to break any records and it wasnt my first race so that helps.. spent more time running sideways than forwards.. i expected the crowd to dissipate more than it did, but then i was in the second to last wave so a lot of people to run thru as well..
    didnt appreciate hanging out for over an hour to the start of my wave, if they know its going to start at 1.30 then tell people thats the start time and not 1 o clock, im not a child, you dont have to tell me thats it half an hour earlier to get me there on time
    shouldve brought some snacks had to leave home round 10.30 to get there for 12.30.. so i had breakfast and then nothing til 3.0 clock ish wouldve been nice if there was someone in the park beforehand selling stuff.. dont know how youd work the logistics of it , it just wouldve been nice

so
    positives
    well organised when you consider the crowd
    marked every km ( i like it i know others dont )
    camraderie , good craic
    nice day
    warm down at the end.. i didnt do it cos i had to leg it to a family thing but i thought it was a good idea
    massage tables at the end.. a bit much for a 10k.. but if i wasnt running to something else i wouldve gotten one..

negatives
    cotton t-shirt ... give me the option to pay less and not have this thanks , or organise a better t-shirt.. was done for the today fm run, sponsored by spar as well, and entry to that was a fiver..
    water.. i had my own with me for beforehand so it didnt bother me particularly .. but id agree that there were a lot of first timers who wouldnt know what to expect and mighnt be the fittest ( sorry if ive offended anyone , i wouldnt be much fitter ) who wouldve appreciated the water at 7 or 8k again .. and it was announced
    start as mentioned above.. if its gonna start at 1.30 , just tell us the truth, we'll get there on time, anyone late can run thru behind the crowd and put a closing time on it
    announcements ...start was announced for 1.10, then 1.20 then 1.30, water was announced for 5k, then 5 and 7k , and then 5k.. please dont bull**** us ..
    younger brother beating me despite never training .. not the race organisers fault but it is one of my negatives

and oh yeah "over hydration my arse "

but overall it was a good day out and i enjoyed it... :D

now not a medical question.. i dont want any medical advice ..im just asking has anyone ever gotten pins and needles in there forearms whilst running.. had it for about 40 mins in both arms drove me daft.. have to see doc for something else anyway so il ask him when im there , not overly worried ..just curious ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

That was one tough run, was a minute slower than last year , had hoped/thought i was able for sub 34, but it was never there, second half is a b%&tch of a course, some lads were in bits, it was a case of hanging on..well done to anyone hitting pbs out there
    Any sign of AAI results teams etc?? not that we have a hope ...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jailhouse_dave

brutes1 wrote: »
    Any sign of AAI results teams etc?? not that we have a hope ...:(

my aai number arrived in the post yesterday, a day late and was addressed to someone else at my address. I dont hold out much chance of the results arriving or if they do, being correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DAVID AKA MACKY

I ran a pb of 33.19 for the race,finished 34th.Two years ago same race i ran 37.14,and last year 35.15.Ive only be running for 2 years and got spotted by a coach and for the last 2 years its been hard hard training and its all paying off now.
    I passed 5k in 16.20 at that stage i figured i had a slight chance of breaking into the 32 min zone,however the last 5km was always going to be tough and it did take its toll.The heat made it difficult too but just have to battle it.

Wish they would get the timing to the start of the race right as it totally upset my preparations,and i noticed watching the race on rte player yesterday evening how some of the slow women were getting in the way of the leading men.Fagan nearly smashed into one of them.very unfair/

To finish off a great day i got to meet martin fagan and he gave me his own personal trainers which was cool and autograph.Hes one of the nicest guys around and hes doing the country proud.

Well done to everyone today :)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I ran a pb of 33.19 for the race,finished 34th.Two years ago same race i ran 37.14,and last year 35.15.Ive only be running for 2 years and got spotted by a coach and for the last 2 years its been hard hard training and its all paying off now.
    I passed 5k in 16.20 at that stage i figured i had a slight chance of breaking into the 32 min zone,however the last 5km was always going to be tough and it did take its toll.The heat made it difficult too but just have to battle it.

Wish they would get the timing to the start of the race right as it totally upset my preparations,and i noticed watching the race on rte player yesterday evening how some of the slow women were getting in the way of the leading men.Fagan nearly smashed into one of them.very unfair/

To finish off a great day i got to meet martin fagan and he gave me his own personal trainers which was cool and autograph.Hes one of the nicest guys around and hes doing the country proud.

Well done to everyone today :)))

Well done, I seen you ahead of me on the S-bends but couldn't close the gap on you at all. Is that a PB? You'll deinitely get in the 32s on a faster course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DAVID AKA MACKY

Thanks very much,i reckon another 1km or 2 and you would have got me as i was really struggling at the end.Yes it was a pb for me so hopefully i can stay injury free and hope to break into the 32 zone in my next 10k.Its easier said than done of course.Its all on the day and how i feel too,plus the conditions like wind and heat play their part.
    The leinster road novice is the next big 1 in may and thats 6km i think so that race is gonna be very competitive,and 1 to look forward to aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Wish they would get the timing to the start of the race right as it totally upset my preparations
    I believe that the organisers know that they are not going to start until 13:30 but they simply don't tell the participants. I have done 8 of the GIR 10ks and I don't recall any of them starting an earlier (though I only have records for the last 5).

If RTE started coverage at 12:30 then the main race might start at 13:05.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Thanks very much,i reckon another 1km or 2 and you would have got me as i was really struggling at the end.Yes it was a pb for me so hopefully i can stay injury free and hope to break into the 32 zone in my next 10k.Its easier said than done of course.Its all on the day and how i feel too,plus the conditions like wind and heat play their part.
    The leinster road novice is the next big 1 in may and thats 6km i think so that race is gonna be very competitive,and 1 to look forward to aswell.

another 2km and I would have been in the back of an ambulance so you would have been safe :) When and where is the leinster novice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

another 2km and I would have been in the back of an ambulance so you would have been safe :) When and where is the leinster novice?

Gowran on the BH Monday in May - nice 4 lapper [down, flat, up]

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Ya, the t-shirt sucked ass too!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement