Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I ran it yesterday and it was awful. The ice in January has made it worse.

I sent them an email about it. Theyre "looking to repair" both Furry Glen and Kyber road.

I think there are faster courses available using the east side of the main road and the usual Furze, ordnance triangle at the top.

Heres one faster alternatives

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/dublin/583127005149861964

(although I would probably run down the main road instead of up)
    Many thanks for your message, we are aware of the uneven surfaces at various points of the SPAR Great Ireland Run and are looking to repair the areas prior to the race on 18th April. The two areas we are concerned with is the Furry Glen and Kyber Road.

All the best and I hope you enjoy the race on 18th April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Khyber road isn't too awful, I cycled it during the duathalon last week and the really bad bits seem to be marked off with cones etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

briano wrote: »
    Khyber road isn't too awful, I cycled it during the duathalon last week and the really bad bits seem to be marked off with cones etc

Thats what I thought. If theyre putting the Kyber road in the same category as The lower glen road then they may be basing their view on last years apres match.

The section of the Glen road in question needs a complete resurface or is unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The Lower Glen is from 8k on from the map. They seem to be doing work off both sides of the road and dragged a JCB/loader up and down the road surface so that, with the cold weather has made the surface dangerous for running downhill at pace.

Run up it twice on my long runs each Sunday and think they could surely tar a couple of hundred metres in 3 weeks. The Kyber is fine but the bottom part of it is a bit patchy alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

briano wrote: »
    I'd guess that that marking off with cones was done by the race organisers.

The Great Ireland Run organisers could help here by putting the water station on the side with the bad surface. That would be a cheap and effective form of covering the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

TarfHead wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Those arrangements suggest an assumption that all competitors will be coming from City Centre, so those of us arriving via the M50 will have to .. :rolleyes:

Get the Luas from the Red Cow P&R to Heuston Station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Get the Luas from the Red Cow P&R to Heuston Station?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll be coming from the M1 end of the M50. Seems (to me) kinda disconnected to arrange a mass participation event in the Park and not allow for cars. Surely all of that green space could accommodate some temporary parking ?

Anyway, the OH will drop me off and 'amuse' herself in Blanchardstown/Liffey Valley while I'm at the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I went for a run around the park today and to be honest the roads didn't seem in too bad condition. The main avenue outside Aras is pretty bad (I don't think it is on the route) and there is only about 25m of poor quality road by Furry Glen.

That said, the poor bit of the road is seriously bad. If people aren't expecting it they could well go over on ankles or trip

Seems (to me) kinda disconnected to arrange a mass participation event in the Park and not allow for cars. Surely all of that green space could accommodate some temporary parking ?
    They estimate 10,000 participants in the run. If parking was offered it would be very oversubscribed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

I assume no-one else who has applied for this through the AAI has received any receipt or racepack? My cheque was never cashed so worried now that I sent it to the wrong address or something :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sklarker wrote: »
    I assume no-one else who has applied for this through the AAI has received any receipt or racepack? My cheque was never cashed so worried now that I sent it to the wrong address or something :eek:

I'm the same as you. Still waiting.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

same as that , so i rang them early last week and they said my name is registered and the stuff will be out in a week or two !!!! i think there must be a major backlog with them

Seres wrote: »
    same as that , so i rang them early last week and they said my name is registered and the stuff will be out in a week or two !!!! i think there must be a major backlog with them
    Cheers. Wonder does this mean we won't be getting the county t-shirt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

Didn't sign up through AAI. Did it direct on website and my pack arrived this morning in the post.
    So you'll probably see it today or tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cheers. Wonder does this mean we won't be getting the county t-shirt!

My mens small is about 20 sizes too big for me if you want one. :rolleyes:

I never understand why they don't at least do xs if they're not going to do womens sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

My mens small is about 20 sizes too big for me if you want one. :rolleyes:

I never understand why they don't at least do xs if they're not going to do womens sizes.

Thing is its not even a mans small-its large fitting more like a medium/large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

The Tshirts are white. it is the number that has the county colours on it.
    Are the mediums and large sized shirts even more enormous?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

jinka wrote: »
    Thing is its not even a mans small-its large fitting more like a medium/large

Yeah it's huge. Considering they put the price up for the tech t-shirt, well some races do I assume this one does too, they could at the very least give you decent sizes that you can wear. Also, given the numbers they attract they could easily provide womens sizes seperate to the mens ones. Barcelona marathon managed it with only a slightly larger field...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

Yeah it's huge. Considering they put the price up for the tech t-shirt, well some races do I assume this one does too, they could at the very least give you decent sizes that you can wear. Also, given the numbers they attract they could easily provide womens sizes seperate to the mens ones. Barcelona marathon managed it with only a slightly larger field...
    Damn! Last year's medium is a nice snug fit on me - tbh I usually go for something a bit baggy - so I ordered the same this year. Sounds like I'll be looking for a swap, or heading off to the gym...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

aero2k wrote: »
    Damn! Last year's medium is a nice snug fit on me - tbh I usually go for something a bit baggy - so I ordered the same this year. Sounds like I'll be looking for a swap, or heading off to the gym...

should set up a swap thread for technical t shirts here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Finally said fcuk it and entered, not looking forward to a trek to Blanch to collect my number though! (Entered 1 day too late to have it posted :mad: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Finally said fcuk it and entered, not looking forward to a trek to Blanch to collect my number though! (Entered 1 day too late to have it posted :mad: )
    Same here---didn't know until last night when registering.Only doing it as i did the last 3 and 2007 was my first ever race so i feel i owe it back in some way but not looking forward to it for many reasons..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

where is there parking near the park if coming in from sligo side?

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »

There are some residential areas near the Ashtown Gate entrance to the Park. That might work out for you (at your own risk !). From Ashtown Gate, you're close to the event start and end points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

There are some residential areas near the Ashtown Gate entrance to the Park. That might work out for you (at your own risk !). From Ashtown Gate, you're close to the event start and end points.

Might be wrong side of the park for Sligo traffic. Chapelizod area might be a better bet. Long stretch between the church and the boat clubs might offer some parking opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »

If you take the Blanshardstown exit and head towards the park take the turn for Castleknock. If you head up that road a mile or so there are a few housing estates on right hand side that I would normally park in. It's a bit of a walk to the park but a good warm up.

Have any AAI regestered runner recieved their packs and numbers yet?

I am still waiting...they are really cutting this a bit fine IMO.....

menoscemo wrote: »

I have received nothing. What are the odds of us having to collect them from either Lifestyle or on the morning!!!!:confused:

chez-moi wrote: »
    If you take the Blanshardstown exit and head towards the park take the turn for Castleknock. If you head up that road a mile or so there are a few housing estates on right hand side that I would normally park in. It's a bit of a walk to the park but a good warm up.

I've attached a google map. A picture speaks a thousand words

chez-moi wrote: »
    I have received nothing. What are the odds of us having to collect them from either Lifestyle or on the morning!!!!:confused:

I have been thinking that this lloks likely alright,it would be nice if they'd let us know though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »

also registered thru AAI and still waiting , they told me on the phone i was reg ed and pack would be on in bout two weeks , that was two weeks ago , id say expect it early next week !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Bear in mind that there are, what, 11,000 entrants?
    Why not park at the Red Cow and get the LUAS over?
    http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Red_Cow_Car_Park_Red_Line

also registered thru AAI and still waiting , they told me on the phone i was reg ed and pack would be on in bout two weeks , that was two weeks ago , id say expect it early next week !

Cheers, at least it is not just me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

Does anyone really expect AAI to be able to post out all those numbers. From my experience that's beyond what they can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

RayCun wrote: »
    Bear in mind that there are, what, 11,000 entrants?
    Why not park at the Red Cow and get the LUAS over?
    http://www.luas.ie/page.php?name=Red_Cow_Car_Park_Red_Line

Anybody think it would be better walking up from the main Phoenix Park gates?

I live in Chapelizod and in all my time driving past/through the park I have only seen the bus a handful of times. Will they put on extra services, or is there any hope they could cope with the demand?

I live in Chapelizod and in all my time driving past/through the park I have only seen the bus a handful of times. Will they put on extra services, or is there any hope they could cope with the demand?
    The Race day info leaflet (WARNING: 20MB!) says, on page 4:
    Travel & parking arrangements
    The event organisers advise all participants to take public transport to access Phoenix Park on race day. There are numerous options available.
    Shuttle buses are available in the Park on the Chesterfi eld Road travelling to and from the Phoenix Monument and the Chesterfield Road/Parkgate Street area.
    For those travelling by car please note that there is NO PARKING available in the park on Sunday 18 April 2010. It is recommended that drivers use the multi-storey car parks in the Dublin 1/2/7 and 8 areas and take public transport to the Park. There is a certain amount of free on-street parking available on Sundays but participants are advised to take note of the street parking signs and avoid causing inconvenience to residents.
    A full list of the multi-storey car parks are shown below:
    Ashling Hotel, Parkgate Street Dublin 7
    Smithfi eld via Queen’s Street Dublin 7
    Thomas Street Dublin 8
    Usher’s Quay Dublin 8
    Wood Quay Dublin 8
    Christchurch Place Dublin 8
    College Green Dublin 8
    Brown Thomas, Clarendon Street Dublin 2
    Drury Street Dublin 2
    St. Stephen’s Green, Shopping Centre Dublin 2
    Royal College of Surgeons Dublin 2
    Jervis Street Dublin 1
    ILAC Centre Dublin 1
    Parnell Centre, Parnell Street Dublin 1
    Arnotts, Princes Street Dublin 1
    Dawson Street Dublin 2
    Temple Bar, Fleet Street Dublin 2

For participants arriving by train at Heuston Railway Station cross the bridge and turning left walk along Parkgate Street to the main entrance of the Phoenix Park (approx 400 mts) and take the shuttle.
    Bus/LUAS journeys from City Centre to the Phoenix Park normally take between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the route chosen.

gmurran wrote: »
    Does anyone really expect AAI to be able to post out all those numbers. From my experience that's beyond what they can manage.
    Just checked and they still haven't managed to cash my cheque so not too hopeful! :rolleyes:

chinguetti wrote: »
    .. and think they could surely tar a couple of hundred metres in 3 weeks. The Kyber is fine but the bottom part of it is a bit patchy alright

Cycled the route yesterday and the path down is still in poor condition.

Does anyone know if it is far from Castleknock train station to the race?
    I was thinking of getting the train in from Maynooth.

• Advertisement

boccy23 wrote: »

I think Ashtown (Gate) station would be a better option for walking to the start point - at a guess it'd be a 20 minute walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

For all the newbie's running this race, dont get carried away with the first 5-6k, its very flat here and easy to go to fast.

But keep something in reserve for the second half as alot of nice hills there

boccy23 wrote: »
    Get the train to Ashtown station. It is less than a mile to the start.

I take it all back, race packed arrived this morning...the AAI rock :o
    Just checked and they still haven't managed to cash my cheque so not too hopeful! :rolleyes:

daymobrew wrote: »
    Get the train to Ashtown station. It is less than a mile to the start.
    so can get train straight in from maynooth to ashtown st , and a mile walk from there ?
    how long does it take for the train in from maynooth ?
    nothin in post yet from aai ??? anyone else in the same position ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

so can get train straight in from maynooth to ashtown st , and a mile walk from there ?

yep - i'm the same. our club put our applications in for us and nothing in the post so far (checked this morning).

• Advertisement

Train at 10:30 gets to Ashtown gate at 10.55.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

asimonov wrote: »
    yep - i'm the same. our club put our applications in for us and nothing in the post so far (checked this morning).

My pack just arrived in the post this afternoon. I reckon you will get it tomorrow or Wednesday. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I registered on greatrun.org and there was no mention of a race pack being sent in the post. It always said that I'd have to pick up the race pack from Lifestyle in Blanch... not that it's a problem. But where did everyone else register? (I mean all the people who are talking about their packs being posted to them!)

I registered on greatrun.org and there was no mention of a race pack being sent in the post. It always said that I'd have to pick up the race pack from Lifestyle in Blanch... not that it's a problem. But where did everyone else register? (I mean all the people who are talking about their packs being posted to them!)

I registered online at greatrun.org, and there was an option to get the pack delivered. There might have been an additional charge for this delivery.

My pack arrived 2 or 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A lot of the people posting would also have entered the AAI National 10k, which is held at the same time/place as the GIR. Separate entry, separate posting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement