Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

racheljev wrote: »
    So after the 12.55 warmup, we'll just be standing around in the pens for half an hour? Super! Why couldn't they tell the non AAI people that?

lol no idea, but obviously big business and TV schedules have got in the way of best laid plans. I don't think you will be called to pens till after the womens elite race is off. It says on said letter for AAI and elite men to be at assembly point for 1.15pm.
    I will be out there from 12.30pm anyway just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

racheljev wrote: »
    So after the 12.55 warmup, we'll just be standing around in the pens for half an hour? Super! Why couldn't they tell the non AAI people that?
    Because people are often late. This 'misinformation' minimises that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

There seem to be a lot of Boardsies (both new and old) running this race on Sunday, so I think it'd be a good chance for a meet-up after the race...

I've gotten to know a few of you over the years from meeting at different races (or even just nodding as we pass in the Park) and from my experience Boards people (and in particular runners) are very friendly and welcoming. In line with that it'd be great to meet some more of you and put faces to names (although I'm never sure whether to go with a real name or a Boards nick when I meet people!) and have some analysis of what went right (not wrong) during the race.

So would anyone be interested in a meet-up after the race? I'm going to suggest Ryan's on Parkgate Street (across the road from Heuston Bridge) for some food and/or light refreshment after the race. (It's a big place and the food is good.)

Anyone up for it?

^^^^^^
    yes to above, I will be wearing a Blue Boards AC vest and will be hanging round the finish line. I think there are a few Boards AC runners so maybe we can congreagate together and make a meeting point of sorts? I met yourself briefly during and after DCM so we should recognise each other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think we should go to Chapelizod. *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

menoscemo wrote: »
    ^^^^^^
    yes to above, I will be wearing a Blue Boards AC vest and will be hanging round the finish line. I think there are a few Boards AC runners so maybe we can congreagate together and make a meeting point of sorts? QUOTE]
    x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'll be there also with the camera, so I'll pay special attention to runners in a Boards singlet, I havn't picked my spots yet but I'll be sure to let yee know.

Woddle wrote: »
    I'll be there also with the camera, so I'll pay special attention to runners in a Boards singlet, I havn't picked my spots yet but I'll be sure to let yee know.

Coming for a pint after?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Woddle wrote: »
    Note to self: Don't stare at Robin's camera this time wondering where you recognise the guy behind it from...

You'll be doing well to escape both me and Woddle. :D

Note to self: Don't stare at Robin's camera this time wondering where you recognise the guy behind it from...

more like NOTE TO ALL ESPECIALLY BOARDZIES'
    thanks for tip !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Hey lads if you see any Drogheda and District red vests take a picture or two. Thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »
    and I.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

So for girlie -non club runners and non elites its 1.30? Have I got it right this time?

Debating whether I should even do it at this stage. Will have a 22 mile run the day before so will just be plodding around doing a recovery run. WIll probably be last.

Bah. Just having a bad day. Dont mind me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Changed times now on the Great Run site, though not on the event landing page.

http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Events/2010/News_article.aspx?nid=6675

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

All male entrants in the AAI National 10km Championships will run with the elite male competitors at the front of the Great Ireland Run, which will be televised live on RTE 2
    What a great opportunity to start with the elites, and wave to your mum on TV :) Missed opportunity methinks. Damn you Connemarathon and your vile fun fantastic evil ways!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

What a great opportunity to start with the elites, and wave to your mum on TV :) Missed opportunity methinks. Damn you Connemarathon and your vile fun fantastic evil ways!
    Elites: Damn, we won't get a chance to start with Krusty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

What a great opportunity to start with the elites, and wave to your mum on TV :)

Yeah, what a great opportunity to start with the Elites and then see them race off into the distance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Speaking of Elites, here's the men's list:

1 ROTHLIN VIKTOR SUI
    2 FAGAN MARTIN IRE / WESTMEATH MULINGAR
    3 SILVA RUI POR
    4 FEITEIRA LUIS POR
    5 KENNEALLY MARK IRE / DUBLIN CLONFIFFE H
    6 LEDWITH ANDREW IRE / MEATH FR.MURPHY AC
    7 MURRAY GARY IRE / DONEGAL ST. MALACHY'S
    8 BENE BARNABAS HUN
    9 VILLALOBOS PABLO ESP
    10 HUMPHRIES TOM GBR
    11 CLARKE WILL GBR
    12 LICHT DENNIS NED
    13 MINNOCK BARRY IRE / OFFALY RATHFARNHAM
    14 THRELFALL MARK GBR
    15 CLOHISEY MICK IRE / DUBLIN RAHENY
    16 FORD ANTHONY GBR
    17 DUNLEAVY EMMETT IRE / SLIGO SLIGO AC
    18 ZAKIS RAIVIS LAT WEST WATERFORD
    19 HARRIS AARON GBR
    20 HAMILTON PADDY IRE / ANTRIM ANNADALE
    21 FARRELL BRIAN IRE / WICKLOW SLI CUALANN
    22 HEHIR SEAN IRE / CLARE RATHFARNHAM
    23 O'SHEA ALAN IRE / CORK BANTRY
    24 FLYNN EOIN IRE / DUBLIN RATHFARNHAM
    25 FLEMMING PAUL IRE / DUBLIN RATHFARNHAM
    26 RYAN MARK IRE / DUBLIN RATHFARNHAM
    27 McKINNEY PAURIC IRE / DONEGAL LETTERKENNY AC
    28 O'LEARY CILLIAN IRE / CORK RAHENY SHAMROCKS
    29 HANRAHAN MARK IRE / CORK LEEVALE AC
    30 COUGHLAN GARRET IRE / DUBLIN CRUSADERS AC
    31 RYAN GERRY IRE / GALWAY CRAUGHWELL AC

Not much to talk about in terms of international names, although Bene Barnabas is one to watch for the future and triathlon fans will be happy to see Will Clarke compete.

It should be a good race for AAI national honours though! I assume Fagan will take the national title if all goes well for him, but there should be a good battle for silver and bronze between Kenneally, Ledwith and Murray.

Best get some speedwork done, even your fancy cameras won't catch me. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just in case anyone was relying on it to get there on Sunday, a decent chunk of the Luas red line is closed this weekend (only the section from the Red Cow onwards is open).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Best get some speedwork done, even your fancy cameras won't catch me. :cool:

We have a challenge. :D
    Photographers_generic.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

So I just collected my race pack today from Blanch and have to say I'm very disappointed in my so called technical t-shirt! :( I was expecting Adidas/Nike brand to justify the cost of entry. Very poor quality indeed.

Yeah it was nike last year, even then it didn't really justify the cost of entry but this year is just ridiculous. That reminds me I have been meaning to email and complain about the t-shirt tent they sent me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

robinph wrote: »

You took a brill pic of me at the Jingle Bells I love it - I'm head down & determined as hell looking!
    I'll be wearing a fluorescent pink top on Sunday, you can't miss me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

So due to a cloud of volcanic ash my weekend plans have fallen through and it looks like I'm going to be in Dublin after all.

Thinking about going out to Blanch tomorrow after work to sign up for this if there are places left. What way does it work with the different start groups? If I sign up now would I be able to get into the appropriate group I wonder? Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Thinking about going out to Blanch tomorrow after work to sign up for this if there are places left. What way does it work with the different start groups? If I sign up now would I be able to get into the appropriate group I wonder? Hmmm.

Yep, there's no segregation in the pens, just signs along the side suggesting where people should stand... Do it! You know you want to ;)

Looks like some of the elite athletes may be out of the race as some are unable to travel with the whole volcano thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭foleyalan

Speaking of Elites, here's the men's list:

1 ROTHLIN VIKTOR SUI
    2 FAGAN MARTIN IRE / WESTMEATH MULINGAR
    3 SILVA RUI POR
    4 FEITEIRA LUIS POR
    5 KENNEALLY MARK IRE / DUBLIN CLONFIFFE H
    6 LEDWITH ANDREW IRE / MEATH FR.MURPHY AC
    7 MURRAY GARY IRE / DONEGAL ST. MALACHY'S
    8 BENE BARNABAS HUN
    9 VILLALOBOS PABLO ESP
    10 HUMPHRIES TOM GBR
    11 CLARKE WILL GBR
    12 LICHT DENNIS NED
    13 MINNOCK BARRY IRE / OFFALY RATHFARNHAM
    14 THRELFALL MARK GBR
    15 CLOHISEY MICK IRE / DUBLIN RAHENY
    16 FORD ANTHONY GBR
    17 DUNLEAVY EMMETT IRE / SLIGO SLIGO AC
    18 ZAKIS RAIVIS LAT WEST WATERFORD
    19 HARRIS AARON GBR
    20 HAMILTON PADDY IRE / ANTRIM ANNADALE
    21 FARRELL BRIAN IRE / WICKLOW SLI CUALANN
    22 HEHIR SEAN IRE / CLARE RATHFARNHAM
    23 O'SHEA ALAN IRE / CORK BANTRY
    24 FLYNN EOIN IRE / DUBLIN RATHFARNHAM
    25 FLEMMING PAUL IRE / DUBLIN RATHFARNHAM
    26 RYAN MARK IRE / DUBLIN RATHFARNHAM
    27 McKINNEY PAURIC IRE / DONEGAL LETTERKENNY AC
    28 O'LEARY CILLIAN IRE / CORK RAHENY SHAMROCKS
    29 HANRAHAN MARK IRE / CORK LEEVALE AC
    30 COUGHLAN GARRET IRE / DUBLIN CRUSADERS AC
    31 RYAN GERRY IRE / GALWAY CRAUGHWELL AC
    32 Foley Alan IRE/ Dublin Boards Ac

Dont forget about the Board Ac Challenge !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I noticed some people complaining about the sizes of the T-shirts... I got a medium, and it's a medium. No problems.

Dunno what the fuss is about really?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I noticed some people complaining about the sizes of the T-shirts... I got a medium, and it's a medium. No problems.

I got a large and it is massive.

I got a medium and I aint small (i normally get a large in most race t-shirts) and it is much bigger than any other tops I have. I'd say it's a standard XL

Well for me, the fact that I'm paying €32 for a 10k for a start, secondly in a race as big as the Great Ireland Run they could easily sort seperate sizing for womens t-shirts. If I'm going to pay 30 quid for a bloody 10k I want to get something out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I got a small and it's perfect for me.I'm more worried about the overcrowding and having to endure the warmup with the girl on the cherrypicker for the 4th year in a row i presume :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭chez-moi

Maybe it's time for the organisers to start asking if you actually want a t-shirt. After a few years of the Addidas race series and a few marathons thrown in how many more technical tshirts do you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

So due to a cloud of volcanic ash my weekend plans have fallen through and it looks like I'm going to be in Dublin after all.

I signed up yesterday. It'll cost you €35 in cash. They don't take credit cards btw, though there is an ATM in the store.

I think the T-shirts are on the large side. I got a medium and it's the first time a medium has ever fit me ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

chez-moi wrote: »
    Maybe it's time for the organisers to start asking if you actually want a t-shirt. After a few years of the Addidas race series and a few marathons thrown in how many more technical tshirts do you need.

IIRC ..

There was an option, at online registration, to decline the shirt, or maybe it was the goodie bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 david.carroll5

is this the Lifestyle Sports beside the shopping centre in the retail park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

Yep, it's in the retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

<Snip>

Race swaps not permitted without race organiser's permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

Yeah beside the TK Maxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 oma29

<Snip>

Just picked mine up this afternoon, bit annoyed at having to make a 2 hour each way trek to get it, but happy that I was able to swap the t-shirt for an extra small. Quality seems pretty dire on the t-shirt though.

T shirts are ridiculously massive , got a small , dont know too many people it wolud actually fit , reckon they ran out of smalls and are just given out whatever they have left , no actual size label sewn on , just a lttle sticker with s ?!

Just picked mine up this afternoon, bit annoyed at having to make a 2 hour each way trek to get it, but happy that I was able to swap the t-shirt for an extra small. Quality seems pretty dire on the t-shirt though.

They didn't offer an extra small on the site. :mad:

They didn't offer an extra small on the site. :mad:

That's a pity, because it actually seems like it would be a better fit on most women than any of the other sizes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Yeah, stupid tshirt is not great. I would be fairly, ahem, large on top and it's still too big for me. Not great quality either is it? (Oooh get me, tech tshirt connoisseur...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RMKH

Can anyone tell me if the starting point is the same for the kids race as the adults' one?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

The worst part of the furry glen is completely resurfaced, don't know why they didn't do that entire stretch while they were at it there are still 'potholes' all over the place.

Are there any hills on the route, and if so, at what point - 5k, 6k mark?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

There are - try looking at a rough mapping of the route on http://ie.mapometer.com/en/running/route_369768.html and clicking on "Show Altitude Graph". Should work. If not, its roughly level until 3km, downhill to 5km, gradually uphill to 9km then level to finish. Overall climb is 47m from lowest point to highest point.

Off the top of my head it's uphill pretty much the whole way from 5k to 8k, then you get a slight downhill and flat then a slight incline again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement