Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Say one missed out on registration, could you just set off with the last group of people and run the course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

RMKH wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the starting point is the same for the kids race as the adults' one?

Yep, from memory and looking at the race info it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Say one missed out on registration, could you just set off with the last group of people and run the course?

Heck, why not run now and beat them all?

RMKH wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the starting point is the same for the kids race as the adults' one?

They are chip timing the Junior Run as well. Makes sense not to have to move the start and finish mats, so I'd say yes.

Heck, why not run now and beat them all?

It's more my mate wanted to run this and had trained for the last 6 weeks three or four times weekly.

It's more my mate wanted to run this and had trained for the last 6 weeks three or four times weekly.

Good for him/her. Now you mention it, why did I bother entering? We could have had our own personal race and saved a few bob in the process. I'll know in future. <slaps forehead>

Wow, smart arse on internet. Who'd have thought...

Wow, smart arse on internet. Who'd have thought...

The question gets asked fairly often on here and it's not always easy to give a straight to the point answer. TBH it pisses a lot of people off. We've all trained (or at least should have) and paid our entry fee. Assuming your friend is a responsible adult who has been putting time into training for this event, why didn't they get their act together and put in their entry anytime before now?

My personal opinion is that your friend should try to find another race to enter, but equally I'm not going to give hassle to anyone who doesn't have a race number.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No.

You'll get in the way of people who went and entered on time and paid their money to get a number. Your free to run where ever you like in the park any other time though, don't disrupt the race for the people taking part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 thehelmet

<Snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

oma29 wrote: »
    I've lost race pack for the 10k on Sunday in the park
    Better start looking for it as I guess you'll be charged if you don't return your timing chip.

xebec wrote: »
    The question gets asked fairly often on here and it's not always easy to give a straight to the point answer. TBH it pisses a lot of people off. We've all trained (or at least should have) and paid our entry fee. Assuming your friend is a responsible adult who has been putting time into training for this event, why didn't they get their act together and put in their entry anytime before now?

My personal opinion is that your friend should try to find another race to enter, but equally I'm not going to give hassle to anyone who doesn't have a race number.
    robinph wrote: »
    No.

You'll get in the way of people who went and entered on time and paid their money to get a number. Your free to run where ever you like in the park any other time though, don't disrupt the race for the people taking part.

Thanks for the answer. Understandably it gets annoying if that question is asked repeatedly, as a newbie to this forum I wouldn't have known.

Not much use now but the reason reg was left late was a combination of unknown work commitments and cc not cleared to book at the time! Anyway too late now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

@LightningBolt: There is a 10km race next weekend at the K-Club in Kildare which you could do instead so that your training doesn't all go to waste.

www.bhaa.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

robinph wrote: »
    @LightningBolt: There is a 10km race next weekend at the K-Club in Kildare which you could do instead so that your training doesn't all go to waste.

www.bhaa.ie
    +1. And for half the price of the Great Ireland Ripoff Run. Can't understand why people pay €30 for this hyped up crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

gerard65 wrote: »
    +1. And for half the price of the Great Ireland Ripoff Run. Can't understand why people pay €30 for this hyped up crap.

This year unfortunately there no choice if you wanna be part of the National 10k championships (granted its a little cheaper) but still wouldnt be too happy i just hope that AAI get some sort of percentage and that all the money is not gone to the organizers

• Advertisement

Looks like Keneally is not running BUPA. Him and Christie ran in US this weekend

Just a quick reminder for anyone who's interested, we're having an unofficial A/R/T meetup after the race tomorrow for any runners and supporters who would like to put a face on the Boards nicknames... A few people have already confirmed and it'd be great to have more people there!

Looks like it could be a hot one tomorrow, I was in the Park about 10am this morning and it was already heating up! Now, it's hitting about 16 or 17 degrees. So lots of sunscreen and plenty of pre-race hydration seems like it'll be the order of the day :)

^ What venue did you decide on?

Oops! Just realised I missed that bit!!

Ryan's of Parkgate Street is what I proposed and no-one* suggested anything else so we'll go with there...

(*Except RQ who later agreed to come to Ryan's aswell...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oops! Just realised I missed that bit!!

Ryan's of Parkgate Street is what I proposed and no-one* suggested anything else so we'll go with there...

(*Except RQ who later agreed to come to Ryan's aswell...)

Woah, I never agreed to come to Ryans. :eek: I still think we should go to Chapelizeod, I mean, it's CLOSER to the finish line.

I'll be in the park from about 12pm onwards if anyone wants to join me for an extended warm up, as I probably won't have my bike now(yep still been too lazy to fix it). Although, I don't mind standing round the park in this weather.

• Advertisement

Woah, I never agreed to come to Ryans. :eek: I still think we should go to Chapelizeod, I mean, it's CLOSER to the finish line.

Well agreed probably wasn't the best choice of words... But unwillingly stated that she'd probably come along doesn't have the same ring to it! I'll go wherever everyone else is going, but do we really wanna change the location at this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

but do we really wanna change the location at this point?

No, I wouldn't go to Chapeilzod but Ryans is perfect as it's on my way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Looks like it could be a hot one tomorrow, I was in the Park about 10am this morning and it was already heating up! Now, it's hitting about 16 or 17 degrees. So lots of sunscreen and plenty of pre-race hydration seems like it'll be the order of the day :)[/QUOTE]

I'm new to race running, and am worried about hydration - how close to the race should I be drinking water - I don't want my bladder to be at me during the race - would the actual exercise of running divert away the water in my body through perspiration.

I've drank 2 litre today already

Well agreed probably wasn't the best choice of words... But unwillingly stated that she'd probably come along doesn't have the same ring to it! I'll go wherever everyone else is going, but do we really wanna change the location at this point?

No don't mind me, I'm only winding yee up. :cool:

I'm new to race running, and am worried about hydration - how close to the race should I be drinking water - I don't want my bladder to be at me during the race - would the actual exercise of running divert away the water in my body through perspiration.

No need to worry too much. Sip water before the start and there'll be more along the route, you should be fine on 2L today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

There's a water satation at about 5k, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I will drink plenty but stop about 2 hours before the race. There will be loads of portaloos near the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Looks like it could be a hot one tomorrow, I was in the Park about 10am this morning and it was already heating up! Now, it's hitting about 16 or 17 degrees. So lots of sunscreen and plenty of pre-race hydration seems like it'll be the order of the day :)

I've drank 2 litre today already[/QUOTE]

Drink about 20 minutes before the race start, and then empty the bladder about 5 minutes before the start. The race is in the park so all you need to do is head over to a tree near the start line and take a quick whizz and then pop back to where you were, and you'll be sorted for the race then. Thats what I did last year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Good luck to all tomorrow. The weather forecast looks OK for the race, not as warm as today so conditions should be ideal. I'll be watching on tele so don't forget to wave:)

Good luck to all tomorrow. The weather forecast looks OK for the race, not as warm as today so conditions should be ideal. I'll be watching on tele so don't forget to wave:)

Damn it, you beat me to it!!

Best of luck everyone. Its a very enjoyable race. Gutted I'm missing it but its too soon after Rotterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

I thinking about tearing off for the first 400 metres to ensure 70 seconds of fame for TheRoadRunner. Keep an eye out for me. I'll be the lad wearing a pair of football shorts and matching socks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Best of luck tomorrow all.:D:D

I thinking about tearing off for the first 400 metres to ensure 70 seconds of fame for TheRoadRunner. Keep an eye out for me. I'll be the lad wearing a pair of football shorts and matching socks.

You could sprint the best 400 metres of your life and still not get anywhere close to the Elites.:D (Unless your a top class sprinter that is, and you get to start alongside them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Best of luck tomorrow to all. Did my lsr in the Park this evening and they were roadsweeping the route so yer spoilt! Also ran the newly tarred section down the Lower Glen at about 8k.

Its quite uneven in parts i found so i would hold off on putting on the sprint until you get to the flatter bit. Why they left out the two bad patches a few yards on is a bit odd but i suppose it was a rush job.

Also there's a camera stationed coming up the Lower Glen after the turn at the lake on the left. I expect lots of waving and 'hello to mammy' to the camera folks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

What channel is this on tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kandikane

im still on the beer from last night gonna get some sleep gonna do 7min 45 pace for the run so if you get a smell of beer say hi to ken,the legs are only getting back on track from paris,and in work tonight work hard run harder ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

What channel is this on tomorrow?

Rte2 @1pm

http://www.rte.ie/sport/greatirelandrun.html

Looks overcast at present which is good...

Looks like it's gunna be nice and cool out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Just back in from a run in the park. It's absolutely perfect there. The little breeze there is will be at your backs heading down the kyber (I know because it was in my face going up the damn thing!) so you should fly down.

Bizarrely the buses were already taking people to the starting line at around 10.15 and there's loads of people with bibs already there.

Enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Standing in the never ending toilet queue, dontcha just love mobile broadband ;) Baaad start to morning - right thigh v sore, heel hurts, forgot watch and had to go back home, hope that means it's a good race! Good luck and enjoy folks.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

best of luck to all, not back long from a run and the conditions are perfect if a little warm for some. It's a little cloudy though so it's taken the edge off. Fagan just on TV, looks pretty confident, although trip must have taken something out of him..

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nearly time for the mass start, leading women halfway around already. Pavey pushing unbelievable hard, burned off everyone except Murray in the first mile or so. 16 something through halfway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone record the RTE coverage? One of my kids ran the junior run, and was interviewed afterwards, so it'd be great to get a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Started near the back of the 35-45 pen (near Racoon Queen in a black and grey cap who i passed at 2.5k?) as hoping for about 46 and knowing a few would be in there that shouldn't--the usual passing of people for the first 3k but not too bad,got to half way in 2254 and finished in 4546 so negative splits by 1 second!!Very happy as a PB by just 3 mins on last yr:)Was within 2 feet of Sonia at the end which was cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Anyone record the RTE coverage? One of my kids ran the junior run, and was interviewed afterwards, so it'd be great to get a copy.

Can you download it from the rte player on the internet ?
    just a thought

Severely under esimated the course really tough though was happy to get around 36.44 happy enough with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

So hot out there, and so many people. Congestion for ages. 56.20 for me- blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosscarter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

racheljev wrote: »
    So hot out there, and so many people. Congestion for ages. 56.20 for me- blah.

It was so bloody humid, I was hoping those black clouds would break!
    I did the warm up and maybe it was to blame for the stitch I effin' got at about 200m and struggled with the whole damn race.
    I finished according to my watch at 60:41 and was so disappointed (sorry for shouting bollix so loudly) - foolish in retrospect, as I missed the post race buzz.
    I really pushed myself the last 500m, so much I puked at the finish line :o
    Chip times are up and I got 60:09 which is so close. I should be proud of myself, after all it is twice as long as I've ever raced before. Onwards & upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dunphyp

Wow - I just did my first 10km!!! So pleased. Really enjoyed the whole experience. Can't wait to do my next one already.
    I think i have the bug.
    I'm gonna do the 10km in parkwest. I know the area along the canal and the price is €20 at the moment so that helps too :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey I have it recorded on my NTL box, if you can't get it on line, PM me and I'll see if I can put that interview up on YouTube / email it to you.

Great run today, 47 mins myself which is ok given the training I did.
    Here's the run mapped out as per my satnav watch if anyone is interested....
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30435080

Go Team!

• Advertisement
Advertisement