Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I did the 10k in Edinburgh last year and the sections were clearly marked as were the race numbers, white for elite, blue for 45 - 55 and pink for 55+. At the start line there were tall masts so that it was easy to find your section. I entered at the 55-65, instead of 45-55, section as the markers were too low and hard to spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

menoscemo wrote: »

That said, even starting from the front it is not a godd PB course. Most agreed after the race that the Hills probably took about a minute off most times.

Definitely that is a tough course alright. Went through 10k in a half 6 weeks ago 16 seconds quicker:eek: still a good race though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They now have the Great Ireland Run up on the RTE Player:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1070954

It's only up for 20 days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Its great reading all the reports on this. The GOOD ones because they motivate me to keep running and I think of all the enjoyable races I will have in the future and the BAD ones cos I hurt my knee running on Saturday and didnt feel that a 7 hour drive was worth it to spectate at the race- so I tell myself that it crowded and busy and I was as well off at home doing the housework .Doh!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Not that I'm going to buy mine but you can see your race photo here
    on marathon photos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Not that I'm going to buy mine but you can see your race photo here
    on marathon photos

I was looking at mine earlier, there's 9 with me in it and in each one I look like how Homer did the time he was running, got dehydrated and morphed into Grandpa Simpson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

anyone know how ray darcy got on. ? timewise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

My marathonphoto pics are as painful to look at as the last 1 k was to run! Thankfully stupid_private got a pic with a slightly less distressed look.:)
    I really enjoyed the day. It was nice to meet tunguska and Seres before the race, and then got to Ryans for some pints post race carb replacement with the aforementioned pair plus xebec, rainbow kirby (before she got drunk!), menescemo, racoon queen and robinph (sorry robin, I didn't recognise you without a brazilian on each arm - I wanted to thank you in person for all the pics).
    I thought the organisation was great. I was near the front of the 35-45 group and they dropped the rope just before the start and we were able to walk up to right behind the club runners. I had a fairly clear run most of the time, but even towards the end when it had thinned out I was occasionally bumping into people, or having to chop my stride. I finished in the first 150 so I can only imagine what it would have been like further back. Even if everyone lined up in exact order of finishing time, with walkers at the back, with that number of runners on those roads I really don't know what the organisers can do to prevent congestion. Some of the spectators need education too - on my way up the hill around 7.5k I was shocked to see a little girl sitting on the kerb patting the road with her hand inches from where some of the runners were passing. In fact I was so shocked I forgot to conserve oxygen and roared "get back". I'm sure the couple minding ignoring her thought I was nuts.
    As for the t-shirts, the quality is fine but my small one is the exact same size as a large from last year's Adidas race series.
    Someone mentioned parking in the park. I'm sure they do turn a blind eye to some of it, but imagine the chaos if several thousand cars turned up? It either has to be banned or they need to get people to come early and reserve a few large areas for them, which would only add to the cost.
    Had trouble getting to sleep last night, probably due to the pints day's excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I saw him interviewed (on the tV coverage) and, IIRC, the clock behind him was at 1:06. Though that could have been the clock for the ladies race.

With the white stubble on his chin, he looked years older than his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

He is in as peter collins--about 47mins i think,pic of him in racepix
    http://www.racepix.com/photo/4532632839/count/301/race/189/user/0/racetag/greatrun2010/bib/0/page/16/racephoto.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

aero2k wrote: »
    Someone mentioned parking in the park. I'm sure they do turn a blind eye to some of it, but imagine the chaos if several thousand cars turned up? It either has to be banned or they need to get people to come early and reserve a few large areas for them, which would only add to the cost.
    I imagine if they announced parking was available within the park then it would have to be supervised/marshaled etc, adding to the cost. With even more cars in the park getting out would have become a nightmare.

robinph wrote: »
    They now have the Great Ireland Run up on the RTE Player:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1070954

It's only up for 20 days though.

My shoe is famous. Nice close up of me tying my lace in the last 30 secs of the highlights at the end:D

I imagine if they announced parking was available within the park then it would have to be supervised/marshaled etc, adding to the cost. With even more cars in the park getting out would have become a nightmare.
    Exactly the point I was trying to make, but you worded it much better.
    A lot of the park has mounds to prevent parking, and most of the flat areas where you can drive off the road and onto the grass are near or on the race route. A big enough crowd turned up anyway, so the lack of parking is obviously not an insurmountable obstacle to participation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

....................I really enjoyed the day. It was nice to meet tunguska and Seres before the race, ............the aforementioned pair plus xebec, rainbow kirby (before she got drunk!), menescemo, racoon queen and robinph .........................

[cough, cough] :(

Only messing, I'll catch you again Aero. Good to meet you and Seres....if only briefly.

Only messing, I'll catch you again Aero. Good to meet you and Seres....if only briefly.
    It would be easy enough to catch me today!
    Sorry Misty, you have to run the race, or post pics, to get a mention.:D
    (ok, 3:00:30 in Rotterdam is an acceptable excuse for missing the race, though tunguska probably doesn't agree!)
    Actually it's very nice to put some faces, and real-world names, to people who up to now have only existed in my PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

Anyone know if the team results have been finalised? No word on Athletics Ireland website as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭boccy23

I have to say that this was a very well run event. The results were up last night with full placings etc.

There are photos on here if you enter your bib no.:

http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/event_entry.py?event=Sports/CPUK/2010/Great%20Ireland%20Run

http://www.racepix.com

The first one, the photos are on the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was only able to get into Phoenix Park for the junior race, which was great. My youngest bairn really enjoyed herself again this year. She really wanted to beat her older brother's PB, but that'll have to wait for a year or two until the legs get a little longer!

I'm not giving out, I just find this amusing: The kids goody bags had bottles of Powerade, and Powerbar energy sports bars. Not sure who put them together, but it mustn't have been anyone with young kids!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You were a no show in Ryans. :eek:

Nice to meet those I met before and those I never met before. Ryans got a bit cramped and someone kept getting in the way of women and their buggies but a good time was had by all. Boards A/R/T beers should be a more regular occurence, all the other forums seem to have them but us.

Nice to meet those I met before and those I never met before. Ryans got a bit cramped and someone kept getting in the way of women and their buggies but a good time was had by all. Boards A/R/T beers should be a more regular occurence, all the other forums seem to have them but us.

Agreed i didnt manage to get to the afters due to trying to get home for work but it was good to meet aburke and Magnet before the race.
    Maybe we could start to organise a monthly or bi monthly ART meet up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

sorry robin, I didn't recognise you without a brazilian on each arm - I wanted to thank you in person for all the pics)
    The Brazillians are a bit distracting in those photos alright, I did get accosted by other boardsies whilst wandering around post race though by asking me if I was the guy with the Brazillians. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

ha ha, I had to go. Sure I had enough drink the day before......I was actually surprised I even managed to get out of bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm not giving out, I just find this amusing: The kids goody bags had bottles of Powerade, and Powerbar energy sports bars. Not sure who put them together, but it mustn't have been anyone with young kids!

Same in the adult bags - possibly just the same bags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ryans got a bit cramped and someone kept getting in the way of women and their buggies but a good time was had by all.

Who was that? No bloody respect for kids nowadays. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

Sorry for the delay, but I've posted some race photos on RacePix and have tagged them as best as possible for bib numbers.
    They aren't professional as I'm only an amateur photographer watching from the sidelines. Most of them are from about 150m from the start of the race on the runner's right hand side and then took a few at the 3km mark.
    Congrats to all participants.
    http://www.racepix.com/Great-Ireland-Run-2010/racephotos/189/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Nice to meet some Boardsies in Ryans after the race. Sorry I had to scoot off so quickly...Mrs.Sklarker was hungry :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Any one know when/if AAI results /team results etc will be posted....

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

brutes1 wrote: »
    Any one know when/if AAI results /team results etc will be posted....

Hi Brutes - there are results up there now for the individuals but not the teams, though you can figure out the teams from it.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=160

A few notes:

1. Either Martin Keane from Athenry ran the race of his life and set a new world M65 record or there is a glitch in having him at 33:07.

2. The normal way of working out team positions in this race is to use the total time for each team. From looking at the site they seem to use the times from the greatrun website - now for some reason some of those times are chip and some are gun times - e.g. I know Peter was a lot further behind me than 3 seconds but as my time is gun and his is chip that's the way the results came out. Basically I'm saying that adding up the times works ok if everyone is chip or everyone is gun but not if it's a mix in which case position is the only fair way. I'd say they twigged this and this is the delay in getting the teams up there.

3. A few AAI club members are down as individual e.g. Gary T, etc - maybe that's cos they just decided last minute but it's a pity as there weren't as many teams entered as I'd like.

4. That said - Craughwell will win the vets I think so that's nice! The bad is I think we would have been silver in the senior so I should have entered us as senior.

By the way Brutes - super run by you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Yep thanks mrak, happy enough for a change, but ...will go back again as sure theres more in the tank, think the second half suited me with the hills...good to see you back flying..

Martin Keane superstar left the young lads trailing in his wake turbo prop runners...:)... dunno who that really was tho,

Thought the event was really good, good buzz on the day, no problems, nice weather, and it is a good idea i think to have it as part of GI run, should be more AAI teams forced nicely to enter - i wonder is it graded in the teams like the cross country??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Yeah results are wrong-im not even down as a finisher. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Just got the email with the video of me crossing the line, never saw myself run before - its a scary sight! Not at all how i pictured in my head - very weird arm motion...

Really good idea though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You and me both, I'm putting it down to tiredness but in the vid I'm running while giving everyone the thumbs up :D Each hand is in the thumbs up position, fist closed tight with the thumb sticking way up !

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mrak

The team results are finally up but look a bit dodgy to me in spots!

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?page_id=160

Craughwell won the M35! Yeehaw and all that!!

However Raheny are down as 2nd M35 which is obviously wrong as Mayo had a much stronger vet team. Seems that the AAI double-counted some raheny lads as vets.

Alan O'Shea seems to have transferred to Raheny which is a good signing for them. (did he wear the club singlet though :P - isn't there a rule about that.. - there's TV evidence around somewhere!).

Basically I'd double double-check the results if you're interested in them. A real pity because I liked the idea of integrating the two races but the results fiasco made a mess of it.

19th Place for Boards AC, well done to those who took part and scored for us.

Well done lads consistently climbing up the results sheets great to see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think it was just me and Sklarker. Really surprised we didn't finish last :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Does anyone know if a beginner ie. jogger/walker could do this? I'd only like to do it if there were lots of other people like me.

newbie! wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a beginner ie. jogger/walker could do this? I'd only like to do it if there were lots of other people like me.

There will be loads of people jogging, loads more walking.

just make sure you start in the right place :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Thata great, thanks.
    Promise to start at the back so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Best of luck with it, you'll have a great day:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Best of luck with it, you'll have a great day:)
    Did I see that the route is different this year - it heads outside the park and up through Chapelizod village???

I'm in - somewhat reluctantly, but a guy in work has a group running for charity so I had to really - anyone else?

Seems to be the same route as last year, same county colours and start time as last year - I presume there'll be the same starting pens as last year and the same amount of people who ignore the pens and just join in at the start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm registered for this, and it will be my first 10K. Feeling a little daunted by it to be honest, especially after how tough I found the OT 5K last Saturday and my 5K training run yesterday evening. A friend who has ran it pointed out to me where all the nasty hills were on the route so I've a bit of an idea about where it gets tough.

Running for my home county as well which is a really nice touch.

If possible, I'd like to finish in under 90 minutes.

If you ran the OT 5k then you already know the worst hill, its the hill out of the Furry Glen. Except you ran in the north and out the south, and in the GIR you'll run in the south and out the north.

RayCun wrote: »
    If you ran the OT 5k then you already know the worst hill, its the hill out of the Furry Glen. Except you ran in the north and out the south, and in the GIR you'll run in the south and out the north.

The GIR seems to take in Military road which looks like it's a long hill? Judging by the gradient anyway.

Yeah - its flat until you run down the Kyber, then its up Military Road, up and down the S-bends, down into the glen and up the other side, and flat for the last stretch. Military road can be tough, but the glen is that bit worse because it's later and you'll be more tired :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Did I see that the route is different this year - it heads outside the park and up through Chapelizod village???
    I think that the "Martin's Road" bit is a mistake. There is no useful gate to get back into the park off Martin's Road (there is a tiny swing gate on a laneway but that wouldn't work).

RayCun wrote: »
    Yeah - its flat until you run down the Kyber, then its up Military Road, up and down the S-bends, down into the glen and up the other side, and flat for the last stretch. Military road can be tough, but the glen is that bit worse because it's later and you'll be more tired :)

Lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭marchino

Re: entries for a club team for nationals:

Do you enter seperatly online yourself and then your club sends in a team sheet after, or can you enter everyone together (money) through YOUR CLUB, along with teamsheet of AAI numbers/entrants??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

This is my next big race using this as a warm up for the Kildare Half,
    Hope to beat the 10k red face record :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement