Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Ireland Run 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Signed up for this last night.

Hoping for sub 50. We'll see how that goes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

marchino wrote: »
    Re: entries for a club team for nationals:

Do you enter seperatly online yourself and then your club sends in a team sheet after, or can you enter everyone together (money) through YOUR CLUB, along with teamsheet of AAI numbers/entrants??

AAI members must enter using the entry form downloadable from AAI website. If you enter online you will pay the online fee, not the €20.00 chargeable for entries to National 10K Champs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Hi there, I havnt done much training at all since the Galway Bay half marathon start of October. I went for a run tonight and was tired enough after 3 miles. Would there be any point in entering this at this stage?
    I need to get under the hour for entry into the runners pen in the womens mini marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A little hint: To get into the runner's pen (sub-60) in the Women's Mini-Marathon last year, all you needed was to prove you had completed ANY race at under 9.30/mile pace - not necessarily a 10k. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

A little hint: To get into the runner's pen (sub-60) in the Women's Mini-Marathon last year, all you needed was to prove you had completed ANY race at under 9.30/mile pace - not necessarily a 10k. ;)

Cool, I thought it was a 10km. Now I can go off and sit on my butt for another few months :D

I might enter anyway for the fun of it, who knows. Cant believe how unfit I have become after only a few months. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

rasher_m wrote: »
    Hi there, I havnt done much training at all since the Galway Bay half marathon start of October. I went for a run tonight and was tired enough after 3 miles. Would there be any point in entering this at this stage?
    I need to get under the hour for entry into the runners pen in the womens mini marathon.

If you have done a half marathon (not sure of your time) I think you have plenty of time left to train for a sub 60 10K.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Does anyone know if the Junior Great Ireland Run is run at the same time as the "main" run, or is it earlier/later?

I'm just wondering because I'm planning to do the run, and my ten year old sister is doing the Junior version - would really love to be able to see her. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

redz11 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Junior Great Ireland Run is run at the same time as the "main" run, or is it earlier/later?

I'm just wondering because I'm planning to do the run, and my ten year old sister is doing the Junior version - would really love to be able to see her. :)

I believe the junior event is run in advance of the full race, it was last year. You will have plenty of time to spectate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

redz11 wrote: »

the web site doesn't list a time
    http://www.greatirelandrun.org/Events/2010/JuniorEvents.aspx
    I think it is as much as 1 or even 2 hours before the main race, which is at 1pm (but never starts before 1:25pm)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I have free entry to this now so will probably do it as a training run. Be weird running 10k that day instead of 39.3 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Hmm, on their Facebook page they say they are issuing coloured numbers - Orange, White, Green, and Pink - based on predicted finish time. Might improve the start situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

LaHaine wrote: »
    Signed up for this last night.

Hoping for sub 50. We'll see how that goes:)

I'll hopefully be in the same boat as yourself - best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lour26

Hey all,
    I signed up for this run at the beginning of Feb and havent received a sponsorhip card or number or anything yet. Anyone else receive theirs?

The race packs with numbers, chips, kit bags etc won't go out until much closer to the run. I have no idea what happens with sponsorship cards - that might be handled by the affiliated charities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Has anybody entered via the entry form on the AAI website? It's 20 quid for AAI members. Closing dates are a bit messed up though says closing date for postal entries to AAI is Thursday 21st of March. I guess I'll just make sure to get it in by Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Am I right in thinking that if you live in Dublin you've to go and pick up your race pack in the Lifestyle Sports in Blanchardstown?.... Or was that just for the Adidas Dublin Marathon race series?....

Anyway, I entered this - (I can see the payment on my online banking) but i either deleted the confirmation email or I never got one. I can't find any info confirming my entry other than the charge on my bank account.

I must give them a buzz to confirm. Anyone else experience this?

I got an email confirming my entry, and including a reference number. If you don't have that, you might want to mail or phone them to make sure your entry went through.

If you enter before some deadline (can't remember if it has passed yet), they will mail out your race pack. If you miss the deadline you have to collect your pack.

(For the race series last year, you could collect your number two weeks before the race, and uncollected numbers were posted out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Just got an email off them saying its going to be wave start, hopefully that improves the congestion problems over the first couple of k

And colour-coded numbers based on estimated finishing time, according to their facebook page

RayCun wrote: »
    I got an email confirming my entry, and including a reference number. If you don't have that, you might want to mail or phone them to make sure your entry went through.

If you enter before some deadline (can't remember if it has passed yet), they will mail out your race pack. If you miss the deadline you have to collect your pack.

(For the race series last year, you could collect your number two weeks before the race, and uncollected numbers were posted out)
    ronnie085 wrote: »
    Just got an email off them saying its going to be wave start, hopefully that improves the congestion problems over the first couple of k

What address did your emails come from? On their website in the 'contact' section the only email address I can see is: info@greatswim.org .... and I don't see a phone number. I emailed them at that address yesterday inquiring about my entry but haven't heard back yet.

Edit: I've now just seen the address: info@greatrun.org on their 'FAQ' page and sent an email to that address also. Anyone have a phone number for the organisers?

• Advertisement

Yeah, my mail came from
    Great Run Support Team <noreply@enteronline.org>
    but that info address looks like a better bet.

Just got a reply from the info@greatrun.org address. I am registered, they're sending out race packs this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Hi everyone,

I'm doing this next month, my first organised, official run/race for over 20 years :eek:. I was wondering, for large (as in large amounts of people) runs like this, do the organisers provide secure storage for bags, jackets and such ?

Thanks
    Paul

I'm doing this next month, my first organised, official run/race for over 20 years :eek:. I was wondering, for large (as in large amounts of people) runs like this, do the organisers provide secure storage for bags, jackets and such ?
    Last year they had a number of fenced-in areas (each section for a range of race numbers) where you could drop your bag. While not a secure area, they did have lots of marshals around.

I happily left my bag with mobile and change of clothes there. For the other races in the Phoenix Park I leave my bag on my bicycle, parked close to the start line. Never had any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

was just thinkin bout this race today , goin ta b a real killer , there is two massive hills in the second half , at 7 & 9 ya ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Seres wrote: »
    was just thinkin bout this race today , goin ta b a real killer , there is two massive hills in the second half , at 7 & 9 ya ?

3 hills in the second half. First hill comes just after half way as we hit military road, another on 7k and then another coming out of the furry glen just before 9k. It's all flat from there though! :pac:

Last year I uploaded a Polar HRM elevation chart of the run. You have downhills until 4.5km at the water station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭ergo

my race pack arrived in the post here in Dublin 2 days ago

am in the orange wave...can't remember what estimated finish time I put but am sure it was sub 40..(:rolleyes: was being a bit optimistic that I might have done some proper training in the interim...which hasn't happened)

t-shirts are collected on the day (after the race presumably)

really looking forward to this, in spite of the lack of fitness :rolleyes:

ergo wrote: »
    am in the orange wave...can't remember what estimated finish time I put but am sure it was sub 40..(:rolleyes: was being a bit optimistic that I might have done some proper training in the interim...which hasn't happened)
    Page 6 of the info booklet (warning, large PDF) shows the wave setup:
    • Elite/AAI athletes
    • Orange
    • White
    • Green
    • Pink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Still waiting on my race pack. Am in Dublin too.

• Advertisement

G-Money wrote: »
    Still waiting on my race pack. Am in Dublin too.

Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

Got my race pack today, and on the envelope it said that I was in the PINK wave. Pink normally be my colour, but I thought to myself that it might be up the field?!?!?

However, on opening the booklet I see that I'm in with every dog and divil in the last wave. I thought that my finishing time last year (47min) and my hoped for sub 45 this year might have me 'up the field' a wee bit. Maybe the waves are based on the notion that everybody over 40 mins is in the Pink wave?? Are the time bands and waves published anywhere?
    Am I being a bit precious/getting above my station??

Your wave is (or should be) based on the expected finishing time you submitted when you entered. You could always send them a mail, see if there's anything they can do for you.

Raycun, thanks for response,but what are the wave colours based on? Maybe I am in the right wave?

Time bands aren't published anywhere that I know of, but I said I'd finish in 42-44 and I'm in Orange. If Pink is the last wave, that would be full of walkers expecting to finish in around 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I put in an expected time of 52 or 53 mins and I'm in the white (second) wave. Something wrong somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I put in 49-51 mins and I am in the orange wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

i have never ran in this run before and i am driving up from waterford on the morning of the race . does anybody have any idea of somewhere to park ?

I'm getting more pee'd off now, when I'm hearing from you guys that you're further up the field. I've emailed info@greatrun.org, saying that they can check my time of 47.30ish from last year's results and that my stated (on entry form) objective is 45mins.
    Would like to know if anybody else is having a similar problem.
    Is there any collection point for numbers in Dublin does anybody know - I could bring my issue to a face?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

There is a collection point Blanchardstown Fashion Retail Park, Unit 425, Maybe they could help or try the facebook page

deise48 wrote: »
    i have never ran in this run before and i am driving up from waterford on the morning of the race . does anybody have any idea of somewhere to park ?
    The competitor info booklet says that there is no parking inside the Phoenix Park on the day (not 100% true but it will be very busy).

They recommend using car parks on the city side of the Phoenix Park. The closest multi story car park is in Ashling Hotel and it charges 2 euro/hour.

A shuttle bus will bring you from close to the end of the Phoenix Park to the start area.

You could park at a LUAS station, get the Red line LUAS to Heuston Station, and the shuttle bus up to the start line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

RayCun wrote: »
    You could park at a LUAS station, get the Red line LUAS to Heuston Station, and the shuttle bus up to the start line.

+1 did that last year and was grand, parked at the red cow, about half 11 should be plenty of time, will be doing it again this year

whats the story with number collections if your doin the Nat 10k , i suppose they just send it to the club Secretary ? I hope this feckin weather dies down a bit , blustery with hills , oh god that would be a nightmare , already dreading this race , very bad memories from last year !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

whats the story with number collections if your doin the Nat 10k , i suppose they just send it to the club Secretary ? I hope this feckin weather dies down a bit , blustery with hills , oh god that would be a nightmare , already dreading this race , very bad memories from last year !

Nah the number should come straight to your house. At least thats the way it was last year. It wont be too bad even if it is windy. Ran the same course for the aware race in january and that was a seriously breezy day, but even so wasnt too bad.
    Are you getting your name printed onto your white T-shirt? Only cool people do that you know.

• Advertisement

Got my race pack today. Looks like I'm in the "pink" wave too, although my finishing time will be slow anyway so.

tunguska wrote: »
    Nah the number should come straight to your house. At least thats the way it was last year. It wont be too bad even if it is windy. Ran the same course for the aware race in january and that was a seriously breezy day, but even so wasnt too bad.
    Are you getting your name printed onto your white T-shirt? Only cool people do that you know.
    Are you sure bout them postin out the numbers ? Actually got a club vest , think its a kiddies one though as its a bit on the tight side , so looks like im destined to look stupid for this race , so i really dont need my name printed on , you really need to put back up that profile picture !

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

ronnie085 wrote: »
    +1 did that last year and was grand, parked at the red cow, about half 11 should be plenty of time, will be doing it again this year
    cheers ray and ronnie thats what i was hoping to do. if ye done it last year and it worked for ye last year thats what i will plan to do

Did you guys just take the Luas then in wearing your gear and all or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

G-Money wrote: »
    Did you guys just take the Luas then in wearing your gear and all or what?

You can wear a tracksuit over your gear. There are big tents there for dropping off a bag.

Don't worry, you won't look out of place on the red line Luas wearing a tracksuit and runners :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement