Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journey from Dublin / Horse Racing / Nightlife

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,

15 of us guys are over in Kilkenny in March. Can anyone please advise on;

* Likely journey time from Dublin airport (arrive at 2.30pm)?

* Is the horse racing a crowd puller? Will the city be any busier than usual?

* Nightlife; group of late 20's/early 30's guys. Looking for 'trendy' bars rather than local pubs. Much of the internet threads seem out of date or conflicting in information. Can anyone suggest the Top 3 venues? Langton's is the only club, right?

We would welcome your opinions and advice. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

It takes approx 90 mins from Dublin airport to kk depending on traffic.
    I don't know if there is racing on in Gowran park in march,the town usually is no more busier than normal on a race day.
    Trendy bar's mmm..You could try The left bank,Morrison's or even Matt the miller's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Platinum boy

Many thanks. There is racing at Gowran Park on 5th March we are attending. Hopefully it will be busy!

Has anyone got any views on Langton's Club or alternatives to take us into the early hours (music policy doesn't really matter).

Seems a great city and we are looking forward to our visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

What is the age profile of the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

The Set is a really good alternative to Langtons main night club. It's a bit more alternative as far as music goes and the crowd would probably be on average late 20's and up.

Unfortunately I can tell you with 99% certainty that you won't get in. The door policy is absolutely ridiculous, people get turned away at random and told to go to the "night club".

It's worth a try if the little tubby bouncer with the goatee isn't on the door and you break up into groups of 2 or 3 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

JoseJones wrote: »
    The Set is a really good alternative to Langtons main night club. It's a bit more alternative as far as music goes and the crowd would probably be on average late 20's and up.

Unfortunately I can tell you with 99% certainty that you won't get in. The door policy is absolutely ridiculous, people get turned away at random and told to go to the "night club".

It's worth a try if the little tubby bouncer with the goatee isn't on the door and you break up into groups of 2 or 3 max.
    The guy is an absolute prick. He never leaves me in. NEVER! The man hates me for no reason. He's got a chip on his shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I have never ever had a problem gaining access. i have gone down in hoodies, trainers... you name it.

i suppose he knows a cool cat when he sees one.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I have never ever had a problem gaining access. i have gone down in hoodies, trainers... you name it.

i suppose he knows a cool cat when he sees one.

Was this access gained with a crow bar? :pac:

And yes Plug, he's a prick. It is completely random who he lets in, and he usually makes a point of not letting one person in a group in.

Cheers guys.

Maybe we should avoid Langton's all together and try somewhere else that's open late (2am?).

Age group is late 20s/early 30s.

Thanks again.

Morrissons opens late (until 2 or 2.30) and is pretty small so it does get very very crowded on busy nights. It's free in tho so it might be worth a try, you can always go somewhere else if you don't like it. Also, the crowd would probably be younger, early 20's maybe.

I think Anna Conda opens late too which is a really nice pub. It doesn't get many people in until after about 12.30 when The Pumphouse a few doors up closes. These places have a sort of "alternative" vibe so probably not the "trendy" places you were looking for.

The Left Bank is probably the spot you're looking for tbh but it closes around 12.30 I think. The crowd would be a good mix of all ages and I think you would have to wear a shirt and shoes and/or have a fake D4 accent (or even a real one!) :pac: . Once this place closes most of the crowd heads to Morrissons so that's the time that Morrissons gets packed.

O'Faolains on John St. is open until 2.30 aswell i think and they have a club inside. I don't think there's ever that many people there tho and it has a reputation for being pretty rough (I don't think it is!).

Kytelers is possibly open until 1.30 or 2, I'm not sure tho. It has a kind of night clubby place upstairs which can be good. I'm not sure what kind of crowd you'd get there tbh.

Apart from that, I can't think of any other late opening places, loads of really nice pubs sometimes with live music tho (Ryans, Pumphouse etc.).

Having now done our trip here is the info I was seeking if it helps others;

Journey from Dublin airport 1.5 hours. Very slow for the first 30 mins but you can put your foot down on the M9.

We stayed at Aspect hotel. Nice hotel and cheap. Easy to get a taxi to centre.

Racing - great day. Worth paying the extra to go upstairs in the grandstand.

Bars/Clubs - Matt the Millers, Left Bank, Biddy Early's (looks small and sh1t from the outside but is different inside. Normally 3 or 4 hen do's) and Langton's club (at least 6 hen do's!!) were all favourites. We got flyers on the street for free entry to Langton's club before midnight. Nice club and bars. Bit more up market. We didn't have any problems getting in anywhere and all bouncers were fine.

A great weekend and recommended. One downside is the cost of beer @ €4.50 a pint. Due the prices places don't get busy until after 10pm.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement