Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a biology/chem degree path?

Options
  • 23-02-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in first year science in UCD and we've been asked to make a decision about what 2 streams we would like to take next year and I'm having trouble deciding which ones would be the best for me.

I love biology and chemistry so I would want to pick one with both of these involved.

The ones I'm currently looking at and researching are:
    Biochemistry
    Pharmacology
    Medicinal Chemistry
    Chemistry
    Genetics

I would be grateful if anyone here has completed a degree in these subjects could give me an idea of what was involved and what they ended up doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Victoria. wrote: »
    I'm currently in first year science in UCD and we've been asked to make a decision about what 2 streams we would like to take next year and I'm having trouble deciding which ones would be the best for me.

I love biology and chemistry so I would want to pick one with both of these involved.

The ones I'm currently looking at and researching are:
    Biochemistry
    Pharmacology
    Medicinal Chemistry
    Chemistry
    Genetics
    I would be grateful if anyone here has completed a degree in these subjects could give me an idea of what was involved and what they ended up doing.

I completed a degree which was excellent and served me well in terms of employment but to be honest I used it to add to bulk up my zoology degree and advance my career in a different direction so havent worked in labs for long. That being said I also have a love for both biology and chemistry and I cant recommend biochemistry enough in this respect. Biology is basically chemistry, with chemical reactions and chemical signalling ect you'll be at home with this subject. Its fantastic and there are a lot of jobs out there for graduates (maybe not so much in ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

The best thing you can do is talk to your lecturers about it. If you like plants then you could do a degree in plant genetic engineering or botany - which has loads of biotechnology & chemistry in it. I only did botany until last year (which was my 2nd year) but it was good. Or you could do physiology. That's chemistry-ish too.

Or zoology. Because it's probably more fun than all of them.

Advertisement